View Poll Results: How has THE LAST JEDI affected your view of Luke Skywalker?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luke is GREATER than ever!

24 25.81%
  • No change. Luke is Luke, just older.

14 15.05%
  • Didn't like this take on him at all.

55 59.14%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    I liked Hamill's performance in this movie. I kind of liked the "grumpy old man" Luke. In the end he redeemed himself to give hope to the Rebellion. One change I would make, Luke makes it episode IX, and have this ending be the ending of Episode IX. He sacrifices himself for the rebellion, and the Kids tell the legend of Luke, etc. Would set up the new trilogy, if this is the way Johnson decides to go.
    I think Luke will be a major factor in Ep IX.

Force ghosts can now interact with their physical environment, which is a huge development.

BANNED

You know what?

I don't think Luke brought Vader back from the Dark Side at all. He tried, failed completely, and then almost got himself killed for his trouble.

Vader brought Vader back from the Dark Side, with a colossal amount of lot of help from Palpatine, who had completely forgotten how he had turned Vader to the Dark in the first place and started to torture his family to death right in front of him.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    You know what?

I don't think Luke brought Vader back from the Dark Side at all. He tried, failed completely, and then almost got himself killed for his trouble.

Vader brought Vader back from the Dark Side, with a colossal amount of lot of help from Palpatine, who had completely forgotten how he had turned Vader to the Dark in the first place and started to torture his family to death right in front of him.
    I disagree. While of course in the end it was Vader, who had to make the decision to let go of the dark side, it would not have happened without Luke actively influencing Vader.

- first Luke tells him that he thinks there is still good in Vader, which makes Vader realize there is still someone (and this someone is his son!) who still believes in him
    - then after besting Vader Luke decides not to kill him and resists the dark side declaring that he is a jedi just like his father before him
    - then while being tortured by Palpatine Luke asks Vader for help by crying "father, please"

Imagine instead a situation, where Luke arrives, tells Vader that he despises him, embraces the dark side, decides to kill Palpatine and gets then tortured by Paplatine. I doubt that Vader would have reacted the same way

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    Imagine instead a situation, where Luke arrives, tells Vader that he despises him, embraces the dark side, decides to kill Palpatine and gets then tortured by Paplatine. I doubt that Vader would have reacted the same way
    Considering that there actually i still good in Vader, and that Vader has been conflicted for a while now, things could very well turn out the same.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Considering that there actually i still good in Vader, and that Vader has been conflicted for a while now, things could very well turn out the same.
    If we stick to the movies only, there wasn't a hint of conflict in Vader until Luke confronted him on Endor.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Yeah. Well, actually the first sense of conflict was during the shuttle scene, as while Vader was supposed to let the strike team go as that was part of Palpatine's plan, Palpatine himself senses something strange in Vader when he tells Palpatine later that Luke was on the ship. So that was the actual first sign of conflict. So in the end I suppose the argument could be made that Luke did nothing specific to trigger the conflict, as that was before Luke professed a belief in his goodness directly, but he is the trigger nonetheless. No Luke=No chance the fragment of Anakin that was left could get close enough to surface to even be a problem.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah. Well, actually the first sense of conflict was during the shuttle scene, as while Vader was supposed to let the strike team go as that was part of Palpatine's plan, Palpatine himself senses something strange in Vader when he tells Palpatine later that Luke was on the ship. So that was the actual first sign of conflict. So in the end I suppose the argument could be made that Luke did nothing specific to trigger the conflict, as that was before Luke professed a belief in his goodness directly, but he is the trigger nonetheless. No Luke=No chance the fragment of Anakin that was left could get close enough to surface to even be a problem.
    Yep, pretty much this.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I think Luke will be a major factor in Ep IX.

Force ghosts can now interact with their physical environment, which is a huge development.
    Maybe in the next film, the next development will be that they can look human again and not like a ‘ghost’ since it seems that the writers now are given free rein on how the force works?

There's also the ending of ESB, where he decides to not kill Piett, hinting that there was some subtle change due to his encounter with Luke.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Good call, I had forgotten about that. Instead of raging over the loss of the Falcon he just walks away silently. To that point completely out of character.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member

Finally some proper debate, rather than the toxic behaviour I've seen on twitter. I loved the movie and thought Luke was amazing, this movie humanised the characters even the bad guys with the humour. Looking forward to episode IX!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Maybe in the next film, the next development will be that they can look human again and not like a ‘ghost’ since it seems that the writers now are given free rein on how the force works?
    Yoda looked practically solid in THE LAST JEDI...hardly a hint of the ghostly blue tint of old.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah, the original plan for 9 was it to be Leia's movie, sort of having each moment of the new trilogy featuring one of the core OT characters in the spotlight. Makes me wonder if that had some factor in Tremorrow leaving the 9th film, perhaps he wanted to use a CG Fisher to salvage the original idea? I'm wondering partially why Rian didn't perhaps do reshoots with Holdo perhaps surviving and taking Leia's place as the resistance leader for 9, with Leia dying in space? I guess they wanted to not cut out her scenes towards the end (including the Luke reunion). I guess it's possible that Poe will emerge as the new leader of the resistance in 9.
    Lando. Thats who could take Leia's place. He's the Last Original Trilogy Character still with us in one form or another

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Lando. Thats who could take Leia's place. He's the Last Original Trilogy Character still with us in one form or another
    I like Lando, but he's never had nearly the cachet of the Big Three.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I like Lando, but he's never had nearly the cachet of the Big Three.

Oh I totally agree: But unless General Chewbacca or General 3PO step up, then Lando is the most senior General in the Resistance