Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoletta View Post
    Racism is inherently irrational. But anyways *sigh*
    You guys keep saying that but still don't get that real life racism is not comparable to fictional hatred of mutants.

Pietro is hated because his super-speed is from genetics but if the Flash(from DC) existed in the Marvel U, parades would be thrown because he received his power from an accident? Why. How can they tell the difference. Why would they make the difference. I'm scared of one but not the other. Why?

I don't get the point of the Grant Morrison quote. The question posted by the op isn't nit-picking to be nit-picky. He's saying from a story standpoint, in a world full of super-humans, aliens, & gods, the hate for mutants doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by silence. View Post
    The way I explain it is 'You can give birth to a mutant, you can't give birth to a scientific accident that results in superpowers'
    You're non-mutant kid can receive super-powers from a scientific accident when they're 15, like Peter Parker.

There's just as much chance of a woman giving birth to a mutant as there is a normal child gaining super-powers from an accident.

Why do they hate and fear one but not the other?

Saying "cuz evolution" and "they afraid of being replaced" doesn't hold up. Humans with super powers are humans with super powers. They look the same to anyone who isn't a super-human.

Beast is considered a dirty mutie because of his genetic mutation, but if he was bitten by a radioactive cat/monkey, he's a hero in the eyes of MU civilians?

Does not make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoBlade2 View Post
    You guys keep saying that but still don't get that real life racism is not comparable to fictional hatred of mutants.

Pietro is hated because his super-speed is from genetics but if the Flash(from DC) existed in the Marvel U, parades would be thrown because he received his power from an accident? Why. How can they tell the difference. Why would they make the difference. I'm scared of one but not the other. Why?

I don't get the point of the Grant Morrison quote. The question posted by the op isn't nit-picking to be nit-picky. He's saying from a story standpoint, in a world full of super-humans, aliens, & gods, the hate for mutants doesn't make sense.

You're non-mutant kid can receive super-powers from a scientific accident when they're 15, like Peter Parker.

There's just as much chance of a woman giving birth to a mutant as there is a normal child gaining super-powers from an accident.

Saying "cuz evolution" and "they afraid of being replaced" doesn't hold up. Humans with super powers are humans with super powers. They look the same to anyone who isn't a super-human.

Beast is considered a dirty mutie because of his genetic mutation, but if he was bitten by a radioactive cat/monkey, he's a hero in the eyes of MU civilians?

Does not make sense.

Does not make sense.
    yeah, I too asking the same, you have one to of one but others still try see the different in them, maybe because one born with that and the other no (mutant o not mutant)
    maybe a phobia in genetics for in the universe Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Reed was worried that the public would fear the team after the accident, so he made them celebrities to try and stop that fear (as well as to try and atone for what he did to them). They could easily have been feared and hated if wasn't for that.

This is my favorite Reed moment, it really humanizes him.
    that scene of Richard break my heart in piece, I love that little moments sweet in the comic

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Considering you said real life examples of Muslim & transgender discrimination are comparable to mutant hate, proves my point.

All minorities that deter from the heterosexual Caucasian norm receive some type of backlash.

Doesn't make any sense that a telekinetic mutant is hated but a telekinetic sorcerer is fine.

Using the gay men are less accepted than gay women argument does not work because one who holds those biases can see the difference between the two, which then allows them to then enact such biases.

Where as you would not be able to the tell the difference between Sue Storm and Jean Grey. So the argument doesn't hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    Homophobia towards gay men stems from misogyny - like men should be masculine, proud, superior, etc. It's patriarchal in nature, as it always ends up to be.
    Maybe something similar then? Like the FF represent everyone can be a science hero and the mutants basically mean you're one of them or you're inferior

BANNED

Because there are a lot of mutants and also because of Magneto, people are scared mutants want to gain dominion over the world and make humans their slaves.

FF is just four of them and all are heroes,

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Maybe something similar then? Like the FF represent everyone can be a science hero and the mutants basically mean you're one of them or you're inferior
    But why would someone feel inferior to a mutant when one can just gain abilities similar to a mutant from a scientific accident?

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Because there are a lot of mutants and also because of Magneto, people are scared mutants want to gain dominion over the world and make humans their slaves.

FF is just four of them and all are heroes,
    But there are other non-mutant super-humans in the Marvel U besides the FF who have caused just as much destruction as Magneto.
    Why hate mutants but not other super powered humans?

Does not make sense.

They would know the difference because the mutant says "I'm a mutant". It's not that hard to understand.

I can understand what you're saying in that- if a 616 human stumbles upon a stranger with supperpowers, they may not know how to act. Scared or happy. But given that avengers and such are well known icons.... and that a ton of mutants exist out there who aren't known... Probability holds that running into a random person with superpowers is a mutant. Thus they make assumptions.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

BANNED

But why would someone feel inferior to a mutant when one can just gain abilities similar to a mutant from a scientific accident?

But there are other non-mutant super-humans in the Marvel U besides the FF who have caused just as much destruction as Magneto.
    Why hate mutants but not other super powered humans?
    Because super powered humans is a general term. Mutants is a specific term.

BANNED

But my real answer for this is really because that was how the xmen was made. So writers stick to eat. But not people are dumb though. They may not inow which mutant is good or evil but if some mutants call themselves as the "xmen", then they dont get scared.

Just put it this way, it's like making a news. You dont write people love the xmen but people hates and fears the xmen. Bad media done by these antimutants movement.

But again, not all people in comics hate the xmen.

Considering you said real life examples of Muslim & transgender discrimination are comparable to mutant hate, proves my point.

All minorities that deter from the heterosexual Caucasian norm receive some type of backlash.

Doesn't make any sense that a telekinetic mutant is hated but a telekinetic sorcerer is fine.

Using the gay men are less accepted than gay women argument does not work because one who holds those biases can see the difference between the two, which then allows them to then enact such biases.

Where as you would not be able to the tell the difference between Sue Storm and Jean Grey. So the argument doesn't hold up.
    Okay, let's put it this way then. It was never simply about the superpowers. It was mainly about the people wielding such power. A telekinetic sorceror or Sue Storm are not a big enough or direct threat to the entire "human way of life" nor do they render homo sapiens irrelevant in the way the homo superior race does. Said mutant bigotry arises from that paranoia and feeling of worthlessness of flatscans.

When a flatscan like Johnny Storm gains superpowers, he also becomes a fantasy figure and ideal for other flatscans as in "He's representing the best of us and hey, maybe I'll get lucky like him too and gain superpowers". However, when a mutant is born with powers, they are immediately "othered" as superpowers at birth immediately set them apart as "gifted". That immediately drives it home to flatscans that they are lesser beings since birth. There's no escapism or vicarious thrill there like there is following the adventures of the Fantastic Four, Average Joes like "you and me" who lucked out big time one day.

It's an incredibly simple concept. It shouldn't be this hard to understand.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 12-20-2017 at 04:16 AM.

Incredible Member

Doesn't the whole 'they where born with it' argument only work for the FF?

I mean the MCU public don't how their non hero mutant get their powers so for all they know,Spiderman could be a mutant.

Super intelligence could be a mutant power.So how come guys like Ironman or Hank pym dont get a hard time from people suspecting them of being mutants.

How come any hero with a secret identity doesn't get backlash for possibly being a mutant?
    Last edited by Baseman; 12-20-2017 at 06:54 AM.

X-men and Tf2 fan. WolverineandDeadpool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    Doesn't the whole 'they where born with it' argument only work for the FF?

I mean the MCU public don't how their non hero mutant hero's get their powers so for all they know,Spiderman could be a mutant.

Super intelligence could be a mutant power.So how come guys like Ironman or Hank pym dont get a hard time from people suspecting them of being mutants.

How come any hero with a secret identity doesn't get backlash for possibly being a mutant?
    JJJ hated Spider-Man.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WolverineandDeadpool View Post
    JJJ hated Spider-Man.
    Not because he could be a mutant.