Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default How do you feel about Batman drinking?

In certain comics and the DCEU, Batman is portrayed as a regular drinker. Sometimes socially as Bruce, and sometimes to an unhealthy degree. It makes more sense for him to abstain during his “prime” years, but what do you think of his portrayals of drinking habits later in life? (Not that it’s ever really risen to the level of alcoholism or a severe drinking problem, which I don’t think suits the character)

Normally, he drinks something in place of alcohol. It's bad for the gainz.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    In certain comics and the DCEU, Batman is portrayed as a regular drinker. Sometimes socially as Bruce, and sometimes to an unhealthy degree. It makes more sense for him to abstain during his “prime” years, but what do you think of his portrayals of drinking habits later in life? (Not that it’s ever really risen to the level of alcoholism or a severe drinking problem, which I don’t think suits the character)
    I think he's an addict, but I think violence is his addiction. Vengeance & Justice are his passions, but I think he's addicted to the fight.

BANNED

I am entirely neutral on the subject.
    What are we calling "unhealthy degree" here? Because I can barely remember Bruce touching a glass of wine in the comics.

Bruce doesn't seem like the guy who would willingly impair his judgement outside of very special occasions. Especially in Gotham, Batman is on call 24/7.

It can make sense for a tired/jaded Bruce though.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Bruce doesn't seem like the guy who would willingly impair his judgement outside of very special occasions. Especially in Gotham, Batman is on call 24/7.

It can make sense for a tired/jaded Bruce though.
    My thoughts on the subject exactly. I just can't see Bruce who is all about control, at least under normal circumstances, being a heavy drinker.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-20-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It would be expected of Bruce Wayne with his social status to know about wine and cocktails because it is good taste to know. However he would not be an alcoholic like James bond are in the books. Having a cocktail at a fundraiser would suite Bruce Wayne. He could of cause go with mocktail however I think coctails fits the Bruce Wayne persona. He would however never get too drunk/hammered. You can then debate how realistic it is a person will stop drinking after only one cocktail. But that is a separate debate.

I don't expect Bruce to drink like me and my college friends but when at a social event or undercover as matches sure. I don't see Bruce ever really drinking to get drunk unless something horrible happened like Jason dying or needing to play a part in an undercover op.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I remember that line in Dark Knight Returns where Gordon mentions how Bruce always fooled them by drinking ginger ale and pretending it was champagne, which I think speaks to how I see Bruce and alcohol.

He'll pretend he's a hard-drinking party boy or maybe have a sip of wine now and then, but he would never allow himself to become impaired enough to where he couldn't be Batman at a moment's notice. He's too focused and too much of a control-freak to do otherwise.

BANNED

I'd like to know which comics portray him as a drinker. DCEU doesn't count imo.

No, I don't see him drinking at all, only pretends to as Bruce Wayne.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Is he not drinking by himself in TDKR, with a heavy implication that he’s been doing this regularly?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post

Is he not drinking by himself in TDKR, with a heavy implication that he’s been doing this regularly?
    How is The Dark Knight Returns in any way whatsoever relevant?

I would hope that he and Selina have some champagne at the wedding. CHEERS!

Spectacular Member

Clark asks Bruce if he ever gets tired of Ginger Ale so I guess the implication is that in current Batman series he doesn't drink (at least not often). His response was "every day" so I think he wishes he could... Whether that implies he wishes he could relax and have a drink or wishes he could numb himself with drink is open to interpretation.

Personally, I think it makes sense that he grudgingly abstains because he wants to stay sharp. Maybe that would make him a light-weight for when he does drink