Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by K Nikk View Post
    Clark asks Bruce if he ever gets tired of Ginger Ale so I guess the implication is that in current Batman series he doesn't drink (at least not often). His response was "every day" so I think he wishes he could... Whether that implies he wishes he could relax and have a drink or wishes he could numb himself with drink is open to interpretation.

Personally, I think it makes sense that he grudgingly abstains because he wants to stay sharp. Maybe that would make him a light-weight for when he does drink
    With jason drinking being a thing, we need to see Bruce and Jason get drunk together if only so that Jason can laugh at Bruce's low tolerance.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    How is The Dark Knight Returns in any way whatsoever relevant?
    ...how is a comic book portrayal of Batman not relevant? And an iconic one at that? I think you can figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    ...how is a comic book portrayal of Batman not relevant? And an iconic one at that? I think you can figure it out.
    The Dark Knight Returns is a very specific depiction in a very specific situation.

While I think it's fine to look at what it says about Batman, I don't think an older and (at the time) retired Bruce Wayne says a lot about baseline Batman and his attitude towards drinking.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Dark Knight Returns is a very specific depiction in a very specific situation.

While I think it's fine to look at what it says about Batman, I don't think an older and (at the time) retired Bruce Wayne says a lot about baseline Batman and his attitude towards drinking.

But that's just me.
    Sure, but I didn't restrict the thread to that parameter. It's a distinct older version of Bruce, sure, but it's in no way irrelevant to the thread topic.

Does anyone not think Bruce would have an excellent idea of how much alcohol it takes to affect him? It's pretty much agreed that Bruce doesn't drink to excess (DKR exception), but in his role as a millionaire playboy, I doubt he could get away with not drinking ALL of the time.

I'm of the opinion he seriously measures quantity and alcohol content and works his mind and body to quantify the effects on him. What else would Batman do?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Does anyone not think Bruce would have an excellent idea of how much alcohol it takes to affect him? It's pretty much agreed that Bruce doesn't drink to excess (DKR exception), but in his role as a millionaire playboy, I doubt he could get away with not drinking ALL of the time.

I'm of the opinion he seriously measures quantity and alcohol content and works his mind and body to quantify the effects on him. What else would Batman do?
    How high and low your tolerant for alcohol (or any drug for that matter) can vary a lot simply based on how much food you had how exhausted you are and of cause if you have build any tolerance towards alcohol. When drinking alcohol with higer amount of alcohol % (proof) like cocktails and wine compared to a beer it will also hit you a lot harder. At a gathering when order a drink you will get a pretty standard drink (however ho much alcohol is in the drink can still vary). The easiest way to reduce the alcohol percentage in a drink would be to ask for more ice to water down the drink. To instruct how a bartender should make a drink would be lack of etiquette.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 12-20-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm very much of the mindset that Bruce Wayne drinks ginger ale in a rocks glass to keep up appearances. He needs to function constantly at peak human levels. No room for the brown stuff in the Batman's lifestyle.

He plays the drunken buffoon rich kid, but he isn't that. Plus I would think he's an addictive personality so it'd be best to steer clear.

BANNED

The most dangerous person at a party is a teetotaller with an agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    How high and low your tolerant for alcohol (or any drug for that matter) can vary a lot simply based on how much food you had how exhausted you are and of cause if you have build any tolerance towards alcohol. When drinking alcohol with higer amount of alcohol % (proof) like cocktails and wine compared to a beer it will also hit you a lot harder. A a gathering when order a drink you will get a pretty standard drink (however ho much alcohol is in the drink can still vary). The easiest way to reduce the alcohol percentage in a drink would be to ask for more ice to water down the drink. To instruct how a bartender should make a drink would be lack of etiquette.
    I'd be willing to accept Bat-God's knowledge of his own system over what actual science and facts dictate. I still think Bruce would have investigated effects of alcohol on his system. He's Batman, for crying out loud. Such self-knowledge falls well inside my suspension of disbelief for him.

BANNED

I'd be willing to accept Bat-God's knowledge of his own system over what actual science and facts dictate. I still think Bruce would have investigated effects of alcohol on his system. He's Batman, for crying out loud. Such self-knowledge falls well inside my suspension of disbelief for him.
    Of course he has. But I can't imagine him willing to dull any of his mighty reflexes for even a second.

You know that is an interesting concept, that he would gauge and measure his own tolerance; I think given his weight and food intake, he could probably calculate that one drink would have a negligible effect.

Also, I think that in some cases, alcohol might facilitate certain reflexive behaviors. Obviously the straight up reflexes slow, but I'm curious whether alcohol's lowering of inhibitions enables more direct and effective physical responses to certain stimuli. This is of course all stemming from anecdotal experience of being able to play certain games better on a beer or two...but still, Bruce might toy with the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Sure, but I didn't restrict the thread to that parameter. It's a distinct older version of Bruce, sure, but it's in no way irrelevant to the thread topic.
    Well the thread title is "How do you feel about BATMAN drinking". THAT isn't batman. That's a retired ex-crime fighter who hasn't put on a cowl in over 30 years. In fact his emptying the wine cellar is really just another indication that he has given up. A batman in peak physical shape fighting crime nightly... No he doesn't drink.

This.

I believe Batman would know his tolerances not just of Alcohol... but everything from Bane Venom to scarecrow gas to cocaine... He doesn't do it socially, he doesn't do it because he likes it... but I suspect he's experimented frequently in the cave under controlled situations for anything he may come across in the field, how to identify it's reactions and how to negate them if possible.

And honestly, with Batman's constitution for foreign agents... I don't think he'd have to worry about getting drunk under the table by most mortals.

He's not a moderate person in any way and while I agree his addiction is to vengeance/violence I don't see him drinking in moderation either, if he drank at all. If he were to drink, I imagine he would be drinking to punish himself or dwell on some thing that makes him hate himself. I imagine Bruce Wayne would be a bad, angry, vicious drunk and that if he ever drank hard he'd invariably blow up every relationship he's managed to build. So I don't think we've seen the modern Batman actually drunk because I think an actually drunk Batman would be every kind of horrible explosion.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    With jason drinking being a thing, we need to see Bruce and Jason get drunk together if only so that Jason can laugh at Bruce's low tolerance.
    Probably the closest they'd get to father-son bonding.

Extraordinary Member

Bruce's generally extreme self-control and self-discipline make the idea of him ever getting drunk seem nigh impossible, unless it's under the pressure of years of restlessness and regrets amping up to it. I mean, it's even hard to see him just binging the day after he retires. TDKR feels like it's slowly been happening over the decades, with his imbibing climbing to full intoxication.

Having said that, I could see him having one or two drinks in some circumstances, but often wary of even being tipsy. I also think the annoyance at ginger ale may be because of just how much he has to imbibe to keep up appearances, and now I'm seeing him being thankful for the boys giving his "character" an excuse to avoid drinking.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP