Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Nothing, I'm just sick and tired of the hypocrisy/double standards in general. Oh and has a female ever wielded the power of Thor in her own series, or been known by that name? No, then guess what, that's IS something new. We've never seen it before, therefore it's new, end of story.
    O_o

First, if there's nothing wrong with not wanting to see favorite characters replaced, then HOW does count as hypocrisy and double standards???

Second, if your criteria for "new" is some tired trope that has hasn't occurred in a particular format before, then every single comic out there counts as something "new" we haven't seen before. This is not the case. There's nothing new about a woman wielding the power of Thor (we've seen that before in a one shot). There's nothing new about making female characters by adding boobs to a male character (it happens far too often).

zatanamag

I got a weird hunch that it's going to be one of his grand daughters from the future. Could be way off base but I think it would be interesting.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

IT'S SUSAN RICHARDS!!!

Also I see the damage to his arm from Uncanny Avengers carries over into the main series, which is weird I thought the time-travel stunt they did fixed that.

Quote Originally Posted by zatanamag View Post
    I got a weird hunch that it's going to be one of his grand daughters from the future. Could be way off base but I think it would be interesting.
    I was thinking that, too. It would explain how neither Thor nor Odin knows the new Thor. The three granddaughters are Asgardians and of the royal lineage. It could work with a little time travel. Come back in time to teach grandpop a lesson about being worthy or something and them zip back to the future when it's done. Could be. Could be.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."-
    Benjamin Franklin

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    IT'S SUSAN RICHARDS!!!

Also I see the damage to his arm from Uncanny Avengers carries over into the main series, which is weird I thought the time-travel stunt they did fixed that.
    Not necessarily the same damage, Old Thor/King Thor had a missing/damaged arm replaced by the Destroyer's right back when he first appeared in God Of Thunder, so it all it proves is that one way or another he loses the arm permanently! (Reminds me a bit of Darth Vader who manages to get the same hand/arm cut off four times in six movies, which as soon as you realise it makes it really hard to take seriously.)

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mar...ed-as-a,36480/

Marvel Comics has announced that the character Thor will now be represented as a woman, though she will still be referred to as the “God of Thunder” and wield the hammer of Thor, with officials explaining that “if we can accept Thor as a frog and a horse-faced alien, we should be able to accept a woman.” What do you think?

“Finally, the world is ready to accept a beautiful, blond, Scandinavian woman.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post

Marvel Comics has announced that the character Thor will now be represented as a woman, though she will still be referred to as the “God of Thunder” and wield the hammer of Thor, with officials explaining that “if we can accept Thor as a frog and a horse-faced alien, we should be able to accept a woman.” What do you think?

I personally feel that Marvel is just wasting time with all these useless gimmicks. They should work on creating quality driven stories that integrates the Marvel Universe instead of concentrating in their own individual bubble.

All-New Member

Long time reader, first time poster. Number one, I don't mind female Thor and I'll check it out as I'm interested in Thor and his (and her) adventures. I also realize that comics change all the time and things will eventually reset. If you don't realize that then... You're probably a new reader? If you're outraged about the name and that's your only problem I would suggest maybe you should stop reading any new comics. Using someone else's name is a minor complaint especially after the writer explained that's not just a name but it's also a title in some respect.

Now on to my theory about the new Thor's ID: I think it's Sif. Wait, WAIT! Hear me out. She has been saved by Thor before, She admires his general attitude and respects him, and she's very close to him. She had a critically acclaimed run (that unfortunately didn't sell well enough), and she's a rich character. She's never held Mjolnir and we all know the "earthling as Thor" idea is a little played out. Now on to the hair color. Sif was BORN WITH BLONDE HAIR! Upon picking up Mjolnir it restores her to her true self, thus the blonde hair. No one would ever really expect it and it's a nice twist.

There has to be an exit strategy for the new Thor when the old one is restored. So my speculation is she has but a pre-ordained fix time and then she is gone ... because she is dead already, a dead person reanimated for a fixed time, something similar to Starback in Ron Moore's version of Battlestar Galactica when Starbuck reappeared as an angel.

Consider her look. Her eyes are hidden but menacing. When a dead person or being is reanimated, often it's the depiction of the eyes that tells the story. Also Mjolnir is on the Moon unable to be lifted by anyone. Will she be on the Moon or will she magically appear with Mjolnir to battle Frost Giants? And what would be a better way to demonstrate worthiness by having already sacrificed one's life doing what is worthy?

The key point in favor of her being a dead person reanimated as something like an angel for a fix time is it solves all the problems of the ending. She cannot be seen as being in the end inferior or unworthy. That would be a public relations nightmare. Whereas it is quite acceptable in medium aimed at women for some sort of scenario like I just outlined.
    Last edited by jphamlore; 07-18-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterob View Post
    Long time reader, first time poster. Number one, I don't mind female Thor and I'll check it out as I'm interested in Thor and his (and her) adventures. I also realize that comics change all the time and things will eventually reset. If you don't realize that then... You're probably a new reader? If you're outraged about the name and that's your only problem I would suggest maybe you should stop reading any new comics. Using someone else's name is a minor complaint especially after the writer explained that's not just a name but it's also a title in some respect.

Now on to my theory about the new Thor's ID: I think it's Sif. Wait, WAIT! Hear me out. She has been saved by Thor before, She admires his general attitude and respects him, and she's very close to him. She had a critically acclaimed run (that unfortunately didn't sell well enough), and she's a rich character. She's never held Mjolnir and we all know the "earthling as Thor" idea is a little played out. Now on to the hair color. Sif was BORN WITH BLONDE HAIR! Upon picking up Mjolnir it restores her to her true self, thus the blonde hair. No one would ever really expect it and it's a nice twist.
    If it is Sif, another explanation for the blonde hair could follow the Thunderstrike route: the transformation into the "Thor-form" allows the person to look however they imagine themselves to look.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by pad View Post
    If it is Sif, another explanation for the blonde hair could follow the Thunderstrike route: the transformation into the "Thor-form" allows the person to look however they imagine themselves to look.
    Also, Sif was originally blonde; her black hair is a magical replacement. So it could also be her just reverting to blonde.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Fingers are still crossed for it being Jane Foster and this is how she -- temporarily -- survives her cancer. She'll die as a human, but can she live as a god?

Until the issue comes out, though, staying away from the articles just to keep my dream alive.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post

I merely see this change as being something possibly influenced by the popularity of Lagertha Lothbrock from the History Channels Viking TV show.

I know a lot of women (and men) who love her character within the show so it only makes sense that Marvel would want to tap into that market by publicising the impending changes to the 616 Thor mythos.

I for one, am really looking forward to reading about the new Thor when the book launches.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 07-19-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Amazing Member

Hate, hate, hate that third going to be a woman. I've always seen him in such a macho light. Don't think I'll be reading.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Hate, hate, hate that third going to be a woman. I've always seen him in such a macho light. Don't think I'll be reading.
    Clearly this Thor will spend all of her time cooking and knitting.