Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    It obviously depends on each person but I wouldn't consider a "female version of established male character" as something new.
    if they tried to create a truly original female character without some sort of legacy aspect It would get canned quicker

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Wait a minute, she's going to be called Thor but Thor is still called Thor.....Put them in a room together with others and it might just get confusing. Hi Thor. Hi Thor.

Readers are probably going to end up calling her She Thor, Ms. Thor or New Thor to differentiate one from the other.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    The fact that certain people her are INSTANTLY writing this off kind of proves that Marvel/DC cannot win. Fans constantly complain that the Big Two never try anything new, and they CLAIM that they want something new, but they don't really mean it. When the Big TWO DO try something new, fans complain about it and whine about how they want the "real" characters back. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. People will whine and complain regardless of what they do.
    Pretty much.

I personally look forward to it. Jason has a really nice grasp of Thor-lore.

In my eyes, he can do no wrong when it comes to Thor

To those who say that Marvel and DC would make new original female and minority characters, that aren't connected to some kind of legacy, I say it's nearly impossible, such characters are very hard sells. That's just how it is now, it's the only way to have diversity in the big 2.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    The fact that certain people her are INSTANTLY writing this off kind of proves that Marvel/DC cannot win. Fans constantly complain that the Big Two never try anything new, and they CLAIM that they want something new, but they don't really mean it. When the Big TWO DO try something new, fans complain about it and whine about how they want the "real" characters back. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. People will whine and complain regardless of what they do.
    Okay, first off, you're right in general. People don't actually want new things in the big two. The very nature of the Big Two is nostalgia and regurgitation, and there's nothing wrong with that. People think they want new, but usually they don't. Though there are exceptions. The new Ms. Marvel has gone over very well.

That said, THIS is not that new. This is a gimmick. This is taking a male character and slapping boobs on him (metaphorically, I'm well aware it's a different person). Until we have much more information, there's nothing particularly new or clever about this. Not saying it will be bad, but it's not special based on what we know.

Kamala Khan is a much better example of something 'new' and, oddly enough, it's worked pretty well.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Wait a minute, she's going to be called Thor but Thor is still called Thor.....Put them in a room together with others and it might just get confusing. Hi Thor. Hi Thor.

Readers are probably going to end up calling her She Thor, Ms. Thor or New Thor to differentiate one from the other.
    Just as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, this is reminiscent of Shuri, the Black Panther.

Very few call her "Black Panther." She is prominently refer to by her real name ("Shuri") or just the "Female Black Panther"

I imagine this new Thor will have a real name and that's what readers will call her (along with calling her the "Female Thor" or "Lady Thor")
    Last edited by Maverick; 07-16-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Spectacular Member

The interview makes this sound like a far better idea than the initial announcement did. So long as it accompanies good writing/art, I'm all for the change.

Quote Originally Posted by consafo80 View Post
    Colour me interested. My guess is this is a Thor from one of the incursion universes. But I may be completely wrong.
    Perhaps you should actually read the article at the link?

Rogue Fan since the 80's Sandman813's Avatar

I think that the new Thor might be Angela
    KRAKOA MUST FALL

All-New Member

Jason Aaron leaves the door open for the new Thor being Angela. IMO it's the only thing that makes senses after outing her as Thor's sister. The Angela book previously hinted at by Marvel is this book. The Tenth Realm book currently out is going to set this whole thing up along with Uncanny Avengers and God of Thunder. If it's some mortal woman that would be pretty weak. The only other possible is some time travel scenario with one of King Thor's grand-daughters. That could be cool.

Seems like a cool concept and a great idea. Just noticed that modern day Thor has lost one of his arms (interesting...). I've read a few issues of Aaron's Thor and loved them so I'll probably scoop this up when it comes out. With a new Cap on the way and this new Thor, I wonder if Tony will retire and someone else will take over the suit.

Thor #1 Solicitation from PreviewsWorld

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS
    (W) Jason Aaron (A/CA) Russell Dauterman
    • The great hammer MJOLNIR lies on the moon, unable to be lifted by anyone in all the heavens! Even THOR!
    • Something dark has befallen the God of Thunder, leaving him weakened and for the first time in forever... UNWORTHY!
    • But when Frost Giants invade the Earth, the hammer will be lifted and an all-new Thor will arise! A Thor unlike any we've ever seen before!
    • Who is this new GODDESS OF THUNDER? Not even Odin knows!
    • JASON AARON teams with hot up-and-coming artist RUSSELL DAUTERMAN (CYCLOPS) to create a bold new chapter in the storied history of Thor!
    Rated T+
    Item Code: AUG140777 In Shops: 10/1/2014 SRP: $3.99

Maybe instead of going with the usual way of naming and calling this Thor, She Thor or Lady Thor as people keep saying, we go for something new and just call her Thor, while calling the current Thor, Male Thor, or He Thor! Mix things up a bit

On a side note, previewsworld also has a solicit for an Original Sin Annual #1 in October...

Quote Originally Posted by Loulou View Post
    Maybe instead of going with the usual way of naming and calling this Thor, She Thor or Lady Thor as people keep saying, we go for something new and just call her Thor, while calling the current Thor, Male Thor, or He Thor! Mix things up a bit
    I love your sense of humour however, i'm sure you wouldn't be inclined to call the female Black Panther "She-Shuri".

Amazing Member

I suspect that Jason Aaron can mine these message boards for Earth-616 inhabitants' reaction to the new Thor.

By the way, readers don't really have to call her She-Thor or Lady Thor to distinguish her from Thor Odinson. You could just call her New Thor (or All-New Thor which is in keeping with Marvel's marketing) because that's just as unambiguous and true. He could be Thor Odinson, Original Thor, Old Thor, etc. How about Worthy Thor and Unworthy Thor?

People are hung up about the idea that "Thor" was never been used as an inherited title/position... well, except for, kinda-sorta Eric Masterson... but so what? The capricious gods can try to change things up and break precedent. Let the writer do his work "Whoever Holds This Hammer, If He Be Worthy, Shall Possess the Power of... THOR!!!" It could very well be possible that Aaron could be telling a story that having the power of Thor doesn't actually mean you are Thor. It could also be exploring what it means for a Worthy woman to take on a responsibility that has previously been only trusted to men (even extraterrestrial men are given this trust before a female) and the baggage and opportunities that come with other's preconceptions and prejudices.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    I love your sense of humour however, i'm sure you wouldn't be inclined to call the female Black Panther "She-Shuri".
    Hmm... Idk, She-Shuri goes together pretty well. Plus it's kinda fun to say!

But yes your right I probably wouldn't call her that, except in my head because now it's stuck there