Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

So -

Being able to pick up the hammer means you wield the power of Thor, but no one should be able to call you Thor?

Seriously?

At least it will be good to see something happen that Odin can't lecture everyone else, especially Thor, about how Odin foresaw the problem and they were dumb enough to not do the same.

So how would one characterize Russell Dauterman's art compared to Esad Ribic's? Jason Aaron said it was more a Kirby-esque feel. Perhaps it's how the colorist is interpreting the art, but it seems to me the trend is still towards a softer more pastel-ish coloring. At least I seem to remember the era in the early 2000s as being more towards taking advantage of gloss, harsher contrasts, more photorealistic.

Ribic it seems to me is on an extreme in how he interprets certain faces, very minimalistic at times. Also Ribic just loves to throw giant floating rocks whether it is Ultimates or Thor. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    What I do have a problem with is that character getting Thor's actual name when he's still around and kicking. Like other people have pointed out, it is as ridiculous as Falcon becoming the new Captain America and calling himself Steve Rogers, Bucky becoming the Black Widow and calling himself Natasha, or a random character becoming Galactus' new herald and calling himself Norrin Radd. It has nothing to do with misogyny and everything to do with caring about the identity of a character.
    Again, the hammer clearly reads "Thor". The Captain's shield does not.

The identity of "Thor" is who is worth of lifting the hammer as much as it is the current user's name.

That is before you even get into that worthiness has been central to the story thus far. It has been central to the character(throughout time).

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Again, the hammer clearly reads "Thor". The Captain's shield does not.

The identity of "Thor" is who is worth of lifting the hammer as much as it is the current user's name.
    It reads "shall possess the power of Thor", not "shall become Thor". When Thor wielded the Odinpower, he didn't become Odin. He was still Thor. When Dr. Doom wielded the power cosmic, he didn't become Norrin Radd or, later, Galactus.
    Last edited by ShaokhaN; 07-16-2014 at 03:15 PM.

If you've read the current series, you'll know that the current Thor believed his future self to actually be Odin upon laying eyes on him. This aspect of identity vs. power has been a huge part of the current story.

Also, no one at Marvel has said that the new character will be Thor under the helmet. There is a difference.

Anyway, onto to the story at hand, I like the idea, sounds like it will work.
    Though, could someone tell me the name of the SHIELD agent that everyone is saying is Thor?
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 07-17-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Insulting

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
    Anyway, onto to the story at hand, I like the idea, sounds like it will work.
    Though, could someone tell me the name of the SHIELD agent that everyone is saying is Thor?
    Most likely -

http://marvel.wikia.com/Rosalind_Sol...28Earth-616%29

If you've read the current series, you'll know that the current Thor believed his future self to actually be Odin upon laying eyes on him. This aspect of identity vs. power has been a huge part of the current story.
    I do know that, and I also know that the fact Thor mistook his older self to be Odin has nothing to do with what we were discussing, namely the idea of someone being legitimately called Thor for having Thor's power, as if Thor would himself become Odin when getting the Odinpower. An older Thor being mistaken for Odin because of looking similar to his father at the same age is not the same as an older Thor being known as Odin.

Also, no one at Marvel has said that the new character will be Thor under the helmet. There is a difference.
    Did you read Marvel editor Wil Moss' comments? "[...] And this new Thor isn't a temporary female substitute - she's now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!"

Aaron's interview does seem to contradict this, considering he said "Thor Odinson, the Prince of Asgard, will still be around. He's still Thor. That's his birth name", but they both clearly said that she will be called Thor. The "regular" Thor will still be around - she will be a different character altogether.
    Last edited by ShaokhaN; 07-16-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Yes, being called Thor because she is worthy of wielding the power of Thor. No one has said she is Thor.

They have said that the person who is worthy is not the current Thor.

I don't see how they could make it any more plain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    It reads "shall possess the power of Thor", not "shall become Thor". When Thor wielded the Odinpower, he didn't become Odin. He was still Thor. When Dr. Doom wielded the power cosmic, he didn't become Norrin Radd or, later, Galactus.
    Yes'sir!This is the whole shebang. The hammer gives those worthy the power of Thor, the power the Odinson already houses to a limited effect as he is the born god of thunder. The hammer only enhances his abilities and allows access to a greater scope of capabilities.

...actually, that is exactly what they have said. This new character is Thor, not the male Thor Odinson the born god of thunder, but it is Thor, the wielder of the hammer. Of note too is that Thor's hammer is now tied to his soul...this was never retconned, so now that there is a new hammer holder they technically hold Thor. If he dies the hammer loses its power and if the hammer breaks he will die. This could add a unique twist to the whole situation.

Yes, being called Thor because she is worthy of wielding the power of Thor. No one has said she is Thor.

They have said that the person who is worthy is not the current Thor.

I don't see how they could make it any more plain.
    No-one has said that she is the Thor we know, but they HAVE said that she is "Thor". That's the entire problem - I'm not sure how much clearer I can make this. Thor is the Odinson's name, like Odin is Odin's name. Does someone who wields the Odinpower become "Odin"? No, they don't. Again, Thor didn't become "Odin" when he wielded the Odinpower. There is no reason for the opposite to be the case with Thor's power.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    To those who say that Marvel and DC would make new original female and minority characters, that aren't connected to some kind of legacy, I say it's nearly impossible, such characters are very hard sells. That's just how it is now, it's the only way to have diversity in the big 2.
    Well it's not like they ever TRIED coming up with new female characters and make them work. Although Angela would have been a decent try. But that's the same with male characters too. It's not like DC and Marvel have this knack to come up with new concepts and making a big push. It's laziness across the board. I can't remember since 2000 or so Marvel promoting a new character and giving it all the chances to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Daymare View Post
    This new character is Thor, not the male Thor Odinson the born god of thunder, but it is Thor, the wielder of the hammer.
    Exactly. As it clearly reads on the hammer. It does not read: "Being worthy will transform you into the male son of Odin, Thor Odinson."