Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Just days after Talib Kweli announced that De La Soul had acquired its back catalog (story below), the group took to Instagram Live (embedded below) to confirm reports. After some technical difficulties, Dave, Posdnuos, and Maseo broadcast to over 3,000 fans in real-time.

Along with Faith Newman and Reservoir staff, the group thanked Nas and the Mass Appeal team, their management, and music industry vet Chris Atlas. Of the group’s battle of more than two years with Tommy Boy Records and its founder, Tom Silverman, Dave said, “The past is the past.” The group did allude to the label’s recent sale to Reservoir, suggesting that they were paid for the group’s art—art that they now finally own.

https://ambrosiaforheads.com/2021/08...album-masters/
    Took 30 years for this group to get back a piece of what they created, a fight the whole way with others getting involved, and largely that only came because the previous label sold it all off. Damn shame.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

There was never a Hip-Hop production group as great as The Bomb Squad imo. Fact that the weight of their catalog came in only a short 4-5 year or so span just adds to it. Legally the structure of sampling changed and so did what they were able to do but damn if they left some great work.

I do appreciate a whole production all the time but the producers who work in pieces, Shocklee brothers and Chuck D, they constructed songs like my brain works, albeit with talent. Pieces of sound in bits, some would incorrectly think are transient that make up that whole, it's always vibed with me. That production with a sledge hammer of an MC in Cube made for his coldest album to me. Maybe not "best", depending, but between AmeriKKKa Most and Death Certificate which was Jink and Pooh on production I can't live off the differences, shoutout to them.

I'm a pure Ice Cube guy which pretty much means after Friday and Player's Club Soundtrack is where got off the train but that's only after a damn near 10 year ride that went back to N.W.A. and the Posse. Even though it's only a minute 22, 'What They Hittin Foe?' is my fkn jam, The Bomb just ended the album so tight.

You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    There was never a Hip-Hop production group as great as The Bomb Squad imo. Fact that the weight of their catalog came in only a short 4-5 year or so span just adds to it. Legally the structure of sampling changed and so did what they were able to do but damn if they left some great work.

I do appreciate a whole production all the time but the producers who work in pieces, Shocklee brothers and Chuck D, they constructed songs like my brain works, albeit with talent. Pieces of sound in bits, some would incorrectly think are transient that make up that whole, it's always vibed with me. That production with a sledge hammer of an MC in Cube made for his coldest album to me. Maybe not "best", depending, but between AmeriKKKa Most and Death Certificate which was Jink and Pooh on production I can't live off the differences, shoutout to them.

I'm a pure Ice Cube guy which pretty much means after Friday and Player's Club Soundtrack is where got off the train but that's only after a damn near 10 year ride that went back to N.W.A. and the Posse. Even though it's only a minute 22, 'What They Hittin Foe?' is my fkn jam, The Bomb just ended the album so tight.

topically, I was disappointed when he drifted into less introspective, political territory post-Friday and the material from that point forward was all about "Don Mega" or however one might classify it; the stuff on the Westside Connection album, etc., the initial beefs with Common and Cypress Hill... I still acquired several of the albums but remembered less every time. I didn't bother with Everythang's Corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Took 30 years for this group to get back a piece of what they created, a fight the whole way with others getting involved, and largely that only came because the previous label sold it all off. Damn shame.

I hope they come out with a new album soon. Also I hope they have some type of project with Prince Paul again. I'd like to see what they can do with DJ Premier and Pete Rock for several tracks, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope they come out with a new album soon. Also I hope they have some type of project with Prince Paul again. I'd like to see what they can do with DJ Premier and Pete Rock for several tracks, also.
    Yo, I haven't heard a Prince Paul drop ina minute. A lot of the cats though from back in the 90's are still making music, Premier seems to be pretty in demand these days which is dope. My Spotify notifies me that so-and-so has a new single and I'm always like, so this is for 45 year old guys right cause insert rappers hey-day was damn near over by 2000. Interesting to hear from a lot of these artists to so many years out through podcsts and Drink Champs and other You Tube outlets. What was dope in Hip-Hop 30, years ago is quite different, even from the same artist than what one would release today. Pulling that off in Hip-Hop with so many years betwen is an impressive feat for sure.

topically, I was disappointed when he drifted into less introspective, political territory post-Friday and the material from that point forward was all about "Don Mega" or however one might classify it; the stuff on the Westside Connection album, etc., the initial beefs with Common and Cypress Hill... I still acquired several of the albums but remembered less every time. I didn't bother with Everythang's Corrupt.
    Brotha you better than me then. I was a loyalist right up until the Connection album but also by then Cube was into movies, Wu-Tang was already a thing and so was B.I.G. so the all the attention he garnered early on slowly disapated. He was still my guy but that WC album never do it for me, that was officially the last Cube record I bought as a new release.

To that end living in Indianapolis Hip-Hop followings did lean Eastern or Western, not everybody but I had cousins and potnas where that was definetly the case. I loved it all but the backpackers didn't really respect the G-Funk or anything South, that was usually without merit too. Not justifying Cube going so far left with what was 'The Don' years but part of it was understandable.

I did get War and Peace years later but I don't remember much from that at all, I'm gonna have to go back and give it a spin. Lol, the 'man with the crooked stick' visual of that CD was always an odd choice but ya know Hip-Hop has always been a young mans game, by then he had been around 10+ years and 6 or 7 albums in by then.

You bet yer ass.

Took some advice from my Uncle Fester
    All dressed up in Polyester
    Welcome to McDonald's may I please help you

Damn shame there's not another better quality video out there, this was a good one. I know I got one on VHS buried away somewhere.
    You bet yer ass.

Incredible Member

Incredible Member

Incredible Member

You bet yer ass.

Regarding the Wu, and so once you get to know them all, I feel that your favorite never really changes. I do might think that, whichever MC you think is most slept on can definitely change over time. This could be up to and including the MC you dig second OR the one whose catalog that you dived into at any point in time you hadn't before. Ghost is my 1A but that next favorite guy has been at times Genius, U-God and most recently it's Deck. Like a ton of these guys from the 90s, they didn't stop putting out music. Shoutout to the internet btw for elaborating on some of the stories behind 25-30 year old music that I've heard dozens of times since they dropped.

Just got around to finally hearing the Inspectah Deck verse that 2Pac dropped (cause he was hatin'!!) from All Eyez on Me. Kept the ad-libs but not the verse, ha- guess he wasn't so dumb. Meth, Red, Kuruption, Daz and Deck was a little TOO much heat for even Pac.

You bet yer ass.

Of course Deck's lead off would be Superman.

You bet yer ass.

Invincible Member

Invincible Member