Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any "thoughts" on Comixology seasonal sale?

Latest sale...on till 4th Jan..contains masses of Marvel and DC (including Vertigo) material. And, of course, as usual bits and pieces from other companies.

Had a quick look through stuff last night. My own "thoughts":-

Certain buys: Priest Black Panther run, Ed Brubaker Batman vol 2 (already got first vol) and Garth Ennis Sixpack and Dogwelder.

Possible buys: some of the Batman collections featuring Jim Aparo and Neil Adams, and the Gil Kane Superman.

Any thoughts? In particular any strong recs??

It is a huge sale, picked up a bunch of books I have been meaning to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    It is a huge sale, picked up a bunch of books I have been meaning to try.
    Yes, it’s a “goldmine” of past Batman material, for example.

Anybody relatively new to hobby could get stuff like the Sandman run, or first seven trades of John Ostrander Suicide Squad run at a marvellous price. I doubt if either of those buys would be regretted.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Latest sale...on till 4th Jan..contains masses of Marvel and DC (including Vertigo) material. And, of course, as usual bits and pieces from other companies.

Had a quick look through stuff last night. My own "thoughts":-

Certain buys: Ed Brubaker Batman vol 2

Possible buys: some of the Batman collections featuring Jim Aparo and Neil Adams, and the Gil Kane Superman.

Any thoughts? In particular any strong recs??
    Just to make you aware every issue except one from that collection is already collected in the new Bruce Wayne Murderer & Fugitive collections which also include the other crossover issues of the story so the Brubaker collection might not make a whole lot of sense without the other parts of the story
    Last edited by JAG2045; 12-22-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Just to make you aware every issue except one from that collection is already collected in the new Bruce Wayne Murderer & Fugitive collections which also include the other crossover issues of the story so the Brubaker collection might not make a whole lot of sense without the other parts of the story
    Cheers. I didn’t know that. The curse of the cross-over strikes again, naively might have thought DC would aim to make trade paper back collections coherent reads on their own. Still at sale price, can’t moan too much.

(I did read the Bruce Wayne Murderer/ Fugitive storyline years ago. But...given my memory..that’s not going to help.)

Bought some stuff from sale earlier today. As I thought I might I bought the three Jim Aparo trades. First one at least is reprints of some of his old Brave and Bold stories. Read first couple about ten minutes ago. Perfect bliss.

Extraordinary Member

It is costing me far too money.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    It is costing me far too money.
    By a great effort of will..and by refusing to buy stuff I’d normally snap up at sales price..I managed to keep total spend to equivalent of about 75 dollars (I’m in U.K.).

But for that I managed to get enough comics reading to keep me going for ages.

I bought quite a bit because of it being the first Vertigo sale on Amazon (other than Watchman and V for Vendetta that I paid $1.99 each for a Long time ago) I have been buying digital for a very long time. I started when the sale price was $1.99 and watched it creep up to $5.99. Interestingly enough $5.99 is that price point that made me super selective on what I would purchase.

I bought
    Animal Man 1-3 (finished)
    Books of Magic by John Ney Reiber and Peter Gross (waiting for more)
    Fables 1-11 (finished)
    Jack of Fables 1-6 (finished)
    Lucifer 1-5 (complete)
    Swamp Thing by Alan Moore 1-6 (complete)
    caught up on all the GA and SA trades I was missing and a small handful of DC books that came out since the last sale minus Batman and Robin Adventures vol 2 (hasn't dropped to $4.99 on Amazon)

DC was the last company that could kick me in the wallet due to Amazon never getting good prices on Vertigo, but after the 2 DC $4.99 sales, the 2 HUGE Marvel sales this year IDW last year, etc... I now need only a couple Image books by Millar and the end of Invincible from Image, the B&RAdventures from DC, the new FF MMW from Marvel, and things need to be published in order for me to have something to buy.

I have actually sold off almost my entire collection of Physical comics and collected editions to pay for my digital buying and wish I had never bothered with hard copies, it would have made things much simpler. Instead of all those long boxes accumulated over decades I have a tablet that has everything minus a tiny amount of books not for sale digitally.

I have a huge backlog but basically can make due with what I have now for the rest of my life, it's actually a pretty great feeling to be at the moment basically done. The only new titles I follow with purchases are Invincible (ending), Superman, Action (ending if I don't care for Bendis), Super Sons, and Red Hood and the Outlaws. I read my friends copies for free and buy them for myself when the price is right.

Fantastic Member

btw, you can save an additional 15% with the coupon "READCOMICS" till dec 31st.
    it's an insane sale. already spent well over 100€..

Quote Originally Posted by krylox View Post
    That can only be used once, so use it wisely!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

I have a huge backlog but basically can make due with what I have now for the rest of my life, it's actually a pretty great feeling to be at the moment basically done. The only new titles I follow with purchases are Invincible (ending), Superman, Action (ending if I don't care for Bendis), Super Sons, and Red Hood and the Outlaws. I read my friends copies for free and buy them for myself when the price is right.
    I've "admitted" elsewhere that my comic book "reading career" would have just about have ground to an halt two or three years ago if I'd not switched over to reading digital comics...the extra convenience has kept me in the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by krylox View Post

That is cruel...

I'd just about steeled myself to no more purchases from the sale. Now I'll almost certainly have another browse before end of the year.

Agree with you about it being an "insane" sale. Can you imagine excitement a sale of physical comics at same prices would cause?

Well that code just saved me a few quid! It also meant that I spent another £50... but I did manage to get the rest of the Djinn series at a very good price!

All-New Member

Think i'm going to pick up the entire Sandman and Preacher series. Will cost less than £40 with the code above. Was hoping to buy Fear Agent but I can't find it on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Faustinooo View Post
    Think i'm going to pick up the entire Sandman and Preacher series. Will cost less than £40 with the code above. Was hoping to buy Fear Agent but I can't find it on the site.
    If you’ve not read the two series, that is as close to a “no brainer” as it gets for a comic book reader.

Both series are wonderful in their way...both “classics” that have stood the test of time.