Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men Gold letter: "Kittylossus is retrograde and problematic"

I don't know who Ellie H. is, but I want to sincerely thank her for putting into words what I haven't been able to do for so many months when it comes to all the creepy implications of the ongoing relationship between Kitty Pryde and Piotr Rasputin.

And her final worries about Kitty being defined by some dude have been proven true as Kitty's entire character arc in this book has been about her feelings for Colossus. It COULD have been about her learning the ropes of leadership, but Guggenheim decided to gift her with Captain America-tier leadership skills and instead make all her development about her vagina. This would be problematic storytelling EVEN IF Colossus wasn't some childhood crush.

Not to mention that her letter doesn't even go into the details about Colossus' stalker behaviour and Kitty rewarding him for it.

So, again, thank you, Ellie! Excelsior!

(I also question the claim that the book has never received a single negative letter)

Man, I dislike Guggenheim. Really hope someone undoes all of his work soon.

I'm not big on the pairing (or Kitty for that matter) nowadays but, I honestly cannot support this Ellie projecting her prior relationship issues and applying said issues to this "problematic" age gap.

Regardless of my own feelings as to whether I feel these two should be together or not -- I don't think my personal romantic history really informs the validity of this fictional relationship because no two relationships are the same. One person's romantic mistakes and/or failures does not mean ALL relationships with similar age differences are "icky" or "bad".

I understand and even support the complaints about Kitty's arc being primarily focused on her romantic relationship, but.... this whole "I was in a relationship once" just made my eyes roll so hard I'm concerned about whether my retinas are still attached.

All that being said: $#%* Kitty.

Guggs response was perfectly handled, imho -- despite my dislike of the book itself.
    Last edited by Fokken; 12-20-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Seventeen issues without receiving a negative letter my ass.

They may not have PRINTED them, but you know they sure as hell were RECEIVED.

I also love how they dismiss the whole thing through the magic of the Sliding Timescale.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

Oh look, it's Friday, time to dump on the New X-Men. :-P

Pull List
    X-23 Domino X-Men Red

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Shadowcat & Colossus fit imo. Guess others feel different
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I'm not big on the pairing (or Kitty for that matter) nowadays but, I honestly cannot support this Ellie projecting her prior relationship issues and applying said issues to this "problematic" age gap.

Regardless of my own feelings as to whether I feel these two should be together or not -- I don't think my personal romantic history really informs the validity of this fictional relationship because no two relationships are the same. One person's romantic mistakes and/or failures does not mean ALL relationships with similar age differences are "icky" or "bad".

I understand and even support the complaints about Kitty's arc being primarily focused on her romantic relationship, but.... this whole "I was in a relationship once" just made my eyes roll so hard I'm concerned about whether my retinas are still attached.

All that being said: $#%* Kitty.

Guggs response was perfectly handled, imho -- despite my dislike of the book itself.
    Tell that to Marjorie Liu
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post

I also love how they dismiss the whole thing through the magic of the Sliding Timescale.
    Even if it wasn't dismissed their age difference was supposed to be 5 years (she's 14 and he's 19) so if at least 10 years have passed since those days it means kitty is 24 and old and mature enough to date Piotr without being icky or creepy or Colossus being a lolicon

At least they had the courage to print it.

Guggemheim answer was pretty bad. We know ages on comic books are very shady and Kitty now is older than she was.

He still didn't asnwered Ellie H concerns.

I think pretty much what Ellie H wrote, the relationship belongs on the past and Guggem doing a bad job of re-doing it.

Shadowcat and Colossus are a good couple.
    Dont see any problem.
    X-Men is love, X-Men is life...

Mighty Member

I don't care about this relationship. But as of now, taking into account how much Kitty has aged, this is like a 32 years old man with a 24 years old woman. And because of the sliding timescale I am sure Colossus is less than 30.

They werent in a relationship in the 80s, Colossus knew back then it wouldnt be legal in the USA, and he told Kitty their thing couldnt be after Secret Wars when he fell in love with some alien healer who died iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Tell that to Marjorie Liu
    Which part and why?

If anything, Shadowcat is the one with all the control. Colossus deserves better.

One doesn't even have to touch the age gap for this relationship to be gross. You just have to look at the behavior of those two characters and how better writers than Guggs have tried to pry both characters out of that regressive cess by drawing a line under the relationship. Colossus was more fun when he was with Domino and Kitty... OK, Kitty Pryde has been a mess since the 90's, mostly because comic writers of a certain age (plus Claremont) just can't seem to stop projecting onto her. But it was still better than this!

Think I identify more with FX.

Kitty and Colossus depends a lot on each reader's opinion and like it or not it's a classic mutant romance.

The same applies to Rachel and Kurt the difference is that it is something new. If we analyze both is difficult for writers because some fans complain about something with a long history and others complain about something innovative.

Personally so far I have not seen many merits in both but I am open to both if some good arise from this and do not think they are the best positive or negative points of the title.

Love relationships are not the biggest problem of gold.
    Last edited by Knives; 12-20-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Mighty Member

I also liked Colossus with Domino more

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Personally so far I have not seen many merits in both but I am open to both good relationships to arise from this and I do not think they are the best positive or negative points of the title.

Love relationships are not the biggest problem of gold.
    Execution goes a long way too. I'm neutral on Rachel/Kurt as a concept. But Guggenheim is just not good at romance.