Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Guggenheim’s continued teasing of Ellie in his response to Thaddeus.. not cool.

And I’m also calling BS on the no negative letters junk.

Get Guggs far away from the X-Men please.

Spectacular Member

I was gonna say "Holy ****, they finally published a letter other than "Thank you for reincarnating Claremont O Great Master"" but then saw the "we finally got a negative letter" comment yeahahaha bullshit. Bull. ****. I guess they ran out of issue #1 feedback to publish and now have to actually show us what people who read it think of the book.

I agree that the relationship in Gold is garbage but I disagree that her main point was "Colossus is a pedophile", as anyone who actually reads the old stuff without an agenda can see that, as always, Piotr is passive and shy and Kitty takes charge; literally throwing herself at him with no prompting. So if Colossus was supposed to be an abusive pedo groomer, he did a piss poor job of it. I'd also argue that if you're old enough to risk death saving the universe, you're old enough to have romantic agency without being a victim.

Instead she should have focused on the fact that the relationship is old and done, or the creepy stalking that kicked off their reunion, or the queer erasure, or the way it makes Colossus a pathetic Kitty fanboy Guggenheim self-insert instead of a strong character, or the fact that they never had much romantic chemistry to begin with, or the fact that it was never supposed to be more than a teenage fling to begin with, or the fact that it's clearly not what most fans want, or the fact that it's being executed horribly because Guggenheim can't write. All better criticisms and Guggenheim can't pretend he "beat" her with his "comic book aging" bullshit.

And **** off with your "I know continuity!" drops Marc. You still need to build up a relationship in your book before you spring it on us as a thing.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I personally think it's regressive for both characters (Guggs Piotr is a shadow of his previous characterizations in other books) and it's lazy writing. I can understand Ellie's perspective, but I also don't see this ick factor at this point in terms of their age. While the gender dynamics do play a role, this is a fictionalized relationship in which Kitty is currently the one holding the power in the relationship. They are consenting adults and not teenagers, and while many of us bemoan this pairing Ellie crying out about the age gap based on her past experience trivializes other relationships where it is not an issue or concern.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I don't see an issue with these two being together but the manner in which he writes them makes it seem forced.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I don't see an issue with these two being together but the manner in which he writes them makes it seem forced.
    Yeah, I don't really have an issue with Kitty and Colossus together but Guggenheim really hasn't done a good job of handling the relationship or building back up to it.

Kitty is the one whos always held the power in the relationship. She went after him when they were young. If I'm not mistaken, shes the one that broke up the relationship as well. And now she has a very wishy washy attitude that seems to be stringing Colossus along. I feel bad for him, someone needs to tell him he needs to move on because Kitty is no bueno for him.

I have less of a problem with the age gap and more of a problem with the fact that this relationship has been done to death. It’s boring, predictable storytelling and I have no interest in revisiting it. Let the two of them move on, they’ve been huge aspects of each other’s characterization to the point where it feels like stagnation as opposed to character development.
    "It's not about adding diversity for the sake of diversity, it's about subtracting homogeneity for the sake of realism."
    -Mary Robinette Kowal

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Think I identify more with FX.

Kitty and Colossus depends a lot on each reader's opinion and like it or not it's a classic mutant romance.

The same applies to Rachel and Kurt the difference is that it is something new. If we analyze both is difficult for writers because some fans complain about something with a long history and others complain about something innovative.

Personally so far I have not seen many merits in both but I am open to both if some good arise from this and do not think they are the best positive or negative points of the title.

Love relationships are not the biggest problem of gold.
    Why Rachel can simply date Kitty?

We are stuck with some bad straight relationships when we could get a good f/f

Quote Originally Posted by Mackandal View Post

I agree that the relationship in Gold is garbage but I disagree that her main point was "Colossus is a pedophile", as anyone who actually reads the old stuff without an agenda can see that, as always, Piotr is passive and shy and Kitty takes charge; literally throwing herself at him with no prompting. So if Colossus was supposed to be an abusive pedo groomer, he did a piss poor job of it. I'd also argue that if you're old enough to risk death saving the universe, you're old enough to have romantic agency without being a victim.
    Word. Yes. Well said.

Extraordinary Member

I'm fine with it. If it wasn't for the stupid Schism, blasphemous AvX, and Bendis stealing her for GotG (people want to use the term forced?) this relationship story would have worked much better. Since I pretty much want to put most of those low points behind, picking this back up is no problem.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I don't really have an issue with Kitty and Colossus together but Guggenheim really hasn't done a good job of handling the relationship or building back up to it.
    agreed. not that it matters but he would do good listening to some of the criticism in the letters, as opposed to writing them off. I'm not how anyone could love these stories, let alone like them.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    agreed. not that it matters but he would do good listening to some of the criticism in the letters, as opposed to writing them off. I'm not how anyone could love these stories, let alone like them.
    I'm sure the only reason that letter got printed is because it's so easy to dismiss the age gap as a point criticism.

They are problematic but not bc of their age. A 14 year old dating an 18 year old is not the same as a 24 year old with a 28 year old

Hin answer literally makes no sense. He could have just said that now that Kitty is like 25 and he's 30 the age gap isn't that creepy anymore. The Marvel timescale doesn't change anything when it comes to the actual gap between their ages.

I’d guess Kitty is 23 now. Nightcrawler is exactly 30. Piotr is two years younger then Kurt so 28. It’s not an issue anymore. Then again I wouldn’t have an issue if she was with Kurt either as you all know. Age isnt the reason either are bad. It’s fine if you don’t like either. I think it’s fine if you point out other reasons that they would be problematic. Age shouldn’t be the first reason anymore. Everybody is legal we are discussing.

Now on to the issue. I loved it.