Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Joe Golem Flesh & Blood

#1 came out today, probably heavily overshadowed by the Hellboy winter special.

I love this book. I love the world and the concept. I love Patrick's art and I'll miss him when he leaves after this.

I won't miss Lori if she leaves town and I won't miss Patrick's drawings of her, either. Maybe it wouldn't bother me that she looks like someone's homely mother if they hadn't described her a being especially beautiful. It's odd, too, because his model is not someone's homely mother.

But everything else about this was great!

I guess only Mark and I read this. However:

Multiversity has a really nice review of this issue. I agree with it a lot. I think this issue was tonally very in line with the somber tone of the novel.

They also sat down with Reynolds to talk about his work on the book in general, now that he's departing.

Man, I don't know how they're going to replace him. I hope they get someone with a similar style. I can't imagine the book switching over to a lighter or cartoonier style.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Multiversity has a really nice review of this issue. I agree with it a lot. I think this issue was tonally very in line with the somber tone of the novel.
    Glad to hear it. I was really sick when I wrote that one and I was struggling to connect my thoughts.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I keep trying to get into this but the comic just doesn't work for me other than the golem flash backs. For me the world was much richer in the novel.

I like this book too. But i hope we get some post novel stories at some point. We know how Joe gets the answers about his dreams.
    Sorry to here Reynolds is leaving. His art is such a big part of the book.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I read it and enjoyed it quite a bit.

The witch possession in this was great but I still really dislike the relationship with Church; he didn't come across as being so manipulative in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The witch possession in this was great but I still really dislike the relationship with Church; he didn't come across as being so manipulative in the book.
    I noticed that too.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I noticed that too.
    I think more than even the design for the city, the characterization of Church is what bothers me the most.

I thought this was a great issue. Reynolds is leaving on a pretty high note. Lori is still terrible looking, but the rest of his work on this book has been nothing short of marvelous. I'll miss him on this book, but I look forward to whatever he does next.

I hope they can get someone that can match his tone to replace him.

The Claw of Justice!

I'd love to see Ben Stenbeck draw Joe Golem's world.

Stenbeck doesn't match the tone at all, though. He's a great artist, but I don't want him on Joe Golem.

I want scratchy, inky, more realistic work. I don't want someone to ape Patrick, but I don't want a massive shift in tone, either.

The Claw of Justice!

I see what you mean. Personally though, I think Stenbeck did such a great job of capturing the atmosphere of the Baltimore novel that I'd like to see him do the same with Joe Golem.

Stenbeck would be my preference too, Reyonds is a great artist but he didn't bring enough atmosphere to this book for me and that's something Stenbeck has in high supply.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

I thought this was a great issue. Reynolds is leaving on a pretty high note. Lori is still terrible looking, but the rest of his work on this book has been nothing short of marvelous. I'll miss him on this book, but I look forward to whatever he does next.

I’m of the same mind on this. I appreciate the odd looking facial expression or less than flattering look now and then, it gives a character a touch of realism, but it’s pretty much a constant with Lori. Concerning a new artist, I wouldn’t mind seeing Alex Maleev’s take on this book.