Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default She-Hulk (2014) #6 *Spoilers/Thoughts*

Since the art is an issue for a lot of posters, I figured I'd give my thoughts on the issue before delving into story details.

Thoughts:

First things first, if you were not a fan of Ron Wimberly's art in the previous issue, this issue will not change your mind. The art work is still rough and scratchy with extreme angle at points. It's not clean, sharp or cutting edge but it is energetic especially when the action ramps up. The quality of the work takes a huge jump when that happens. The linework is substantially tighter, the panel work more clear. Wimberly really nails the action beats.

I do have one complaint about the art. In the closing sequence, there's incomplete coloring. On top of that, Wimberly or whoever actually colored the pages goes with different skin and hair tones for Jen and Sharon, her landlady, which proves to be jarring.

Overall, I liked the art but not only can I see why people would not like it stylistically, the coloring in the back end really is a problem.

With that out of the way, this issue was awesome. Soule wraps up the Blue File story arc (for now), gives us a kickass Nightwatch cameo, drips feeds some more mysteries about Angie/Hei Hei and overall, does some solid character work with the core cast. I really do like how even though this book is it's own thing in the MU, it's still deeply rooted in it. I also like that he makes the characters feel more connected than they usually do in Marvel Comics.

As long as Soule writes, I'll keep reading.

Spoilers:

The story picks up with last issues literal cliffhanger, but thanks to poor reception Wyatt is safe. Jen finally checks Patsy's message and rushes to the hospital to meet her and Tigra. They talk about the trigger words and such. I really do enjoy having Patsy in this book by the way.

We cut to a dying/dead Angie who is revived by Hei Hei. They (the mystery antagonists) have destroyed all of the original files and taken her cellphone and wallet, leaving her stranded in the snow.

Back at the office, Dr. Kevin Trench aka Nightwatch, pays Jen a visit. Trench has more or less stepped away from superheroics to focus on philanthropy. They talk about the case a bit before a horde of goblins attack the building calling out for Jennifer Walters, and it's here where things really get exciting. All of the tenants take arms. Jen hulks out and enters the fray alongside Nightwatch who looks much cooler in his post-Spawn attire. Seriously, I'd love it if Marvel game him a book.

One of the goblins tries to hypnotize Jen but Nightwatch draws him into is coat to shake her out of it. The two clean house! Afterwards, Jen decides to follow up with Dr. Strange since the problem is definitely mystical. She also decides to let the case go.

The next few pages just deal with the aftermath of the episode. Angie finally makes it back with news of what happened with her only to find out that Jen was dropping the case. The issue closes with Trench having directed a host of new clients to Jen's office.

Loved it

The art was great: dynamic and unique. The only issue was the inconsistency of the hue of Jen's skin.
    Is she gonna be specialized in superheroic cases now? Because I'm kind of digging that idea. However I wish the blue files story was actually resolved but I have a feeling it'll come back later.

This book remains one of the most fun reads Marvel is putting out.

Amazing Member

is it just me, or does Jen seem a little off...like her brainwashing is a little different than the others?
    here come the surveyors...here come all the surveyors

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Nightwatch lives!

...somehow. Last time we saw him, in Spider-Man Unlimited #14, he took a shotgun blast to the chest and was pretty definitely dead. Of course, given the timey-wimey nature of his origins, he could definitely have cheated death - or his mysterious resurrection could have something to do with the mysterious Blue File...

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Yeah... I want someone to show this image to someone who hasn't read the comic at all and ask them who this character is.

Also, you got to love how Jen's hair actually shrank when she went super she hulk in this part of the story. Seriously, it's much shorter and everything! Is this like how Ross' mustache disappears when he goes Red Hulk? It's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    I do have one complaint about the art. In the closing sequence, there's incomplete coloring. On top of that, Wimberly or whoever actually colored the pages goes with different skin and hair tones for Jen and Sharon, her landlady, which proves to be jarring.
    Oh I'm glad I wasn't the only person that noticed that. I was reading the issue and I felt like the coloring abruptly changed on me. Also didn't help that the scene transition was awful. One second Jen is talking with Trench and then, BOOM! Back in the office like nothing ever happened and Patsy is there all of a sudden. There's no text book above that says this is talking place later, just suddenly it's a jump forward! What the hell?

Ultimately, I was just disappointed by this issue. I thought the ending was a bit anti-climactic with us not learning the truth of what is really going on and the artwork, while better in some areas, was still rather awful to me. I hoping for the best once the regular artist comes back. (7 out of 10)

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    Loved it

The art was great: dynamic and unique. The only issue was the inconsistency of the hue of Jen's skin.
    Is she gonna be specialized in superheroic cases now? Because I'm kind of digging that idea. However I wish the blue files story was actually resolved but I have a feeling it'll come back later.

This book remains one of the most fun reads Marvel is putting out.
    That would be cool going by the solicit for #7#8#9 I think that's going to be the case. I am glad Angie was okay and the mystery continues with Hei-Hei.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post

Yeah... I want someone to show this image to someone who hasn't read the comic at all and ask them who this character is.

Also, you got to love how Jen's hair actually shrank when she went super she hulk in this part of the story. Seriously, it's much shorter and everything! Is this like how Ross' mustache disappears when he goes Red Hulk? It's weird.
    I think her hair is in a bun but just messy. I know this may be down to artist interpretation (she does Bulk up under Pulido) but it looks like Jen has learnt to tap into her inner Hulk but without any loss to her intelligence as it has in the past. That's awesome with her fight with the Hulk coming up, she is going to be holding her own much better.

Ultimately, I was just disappointed by this issue. I thought the ending was a bit anti-climactic with us not learning the truth of what is really going on and the artwork, while better in some areas, was still rather awful to me. I hoping for the best once the regular artist comes back. (7 out of 10)
    I think that might be something to do with Zuul Gremlins.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comicfan298 View Post
    I think her hair is in a bun but just messy. I know this may be down to artist interpretation (she does Bulk up under Pulido) but it looks like Jen has learnt to tap into her inner Hulk but without any loss to her intelligence as it has in the past. That's awesome with her fight with the Hulk coming up, she is going to be holding her own much better.

I think that might be something to do with Zuul Gremlins.
    Yeah I know her hair was in a bun, but it doesn't remotely look like it is still in a bun afterwords. Has She-Hulk ever bulked up like that in the past and if so, when was the last time and for what reason? Because has she done anything like this recently outside of Soule's series? I read the Slott series before and the way she got bigger and more powerful was because she worked out in her normal form. Either way, it looks rather silly.

As for the Zuul Gremlins, yeah, I understand why the book ended with the character stopping the investigation, but it still feels abrupt to me.

Yeah I know her hair was in a bun, but it doesn't remotely look like it is still in a bun afterwords. Has She-Hulk ever bulked up like that in the past and if so, when was the last time and for what reason? Because has she done anything like this recently outside of Soule's series? I read the Slott series before and the way she got bigger and more powerful was because she worked out in her normal form. Either way, it looks rather silly.

As for the Zuul Gremlins, yeah, I understand why the book ended with the character stopping the investigation, but it still feels abrupt to me.
    Its happened a few times, one was caused by being in an alternate Universe another was Jack of Hearts absorbing her Gamma radiation, then we had Wanda going crazy. I would guess the last time was In Incredible Hulks #635 when she (in human form) and Rick Jones got hit by a Gamma Bomb in all cases she was never in control.

The art style grew on me as I read on. I think maybe a different colors or something. Everything was so washed out. Arts so subjective who's to say. I personally felt different about the book panel to panel... I'm still not sure

Is it possible the blue file is somehow redzone related? I don't think it is but boy I wish it was and Jen had to reassemble that team somehow.

What a bizarre issue. I generally liked it, and loved certain aspects of it, but the scene-to-scene transitions were confusing, and the inconsistent coloring was unacceptable. She-Hulk moves from a blue-green shade to a lime-green shade, Sharon moves from a dark-black to a much lighter brown-black...I dig Wimberly's exaggerated art style, but to have the same characters colored in completely different shades in the same book is a no-no. That's ridiculous and should have been addressed before the issue came out, with the book delayed if necessary. I hope that is something addressed for the trade and perhaps in a digital update, because it's just very amateurish and makes it seem like the creators and Marvel do not care about providing a consistent reading experience for the audience.

Beyond that, as said, I really did like the art. The battle scenes with the demon creatures were flat-out insane, and I liked how Jen looked absolutely monstrous when she "hulked up." Nightwatch looked incredible in costume and I even thought he looked really interesting and handsome in his civilian clothes. I would like to see his character return. Wimberly does a nice job with character expressions, as doped-up Patsy was cute and his Hei-Hei looked adorable, as if you could really sense his care for his master. If they can just get consistent coloring I would have no problem with Wimberly returning for future fill-ins, but his work was so poorly received by most fans that I kind of doubt he will be back.

For the writing, I liked pretty much everything up until the end, when the whole issue kind of fell apart (on first read). I didn't really get that Jen was hypnotized / brainwashed at first, and her nonchalant way of ending the Blue File felt really out of character and then made the whole plotline feel like a waste of time for fans. After reading some reactions online, most people think that Jen is brainwashed here at the end, and if true then her characterization obviously makes a lot more sense, but I do still feel this was a very abrupt way to (temporarily) end this storyline. I think what made this feel so awkward for me was that Jen's rationale ("let sleeping dogs lie") is a fairly valid one, so I accepted it in that sense, but it just doesn't gel with the Jen that we've established in this series AT ALL, who sees everything through to the end. So hopefully there is more Blue File to come.

If they would have fixed the coloring and made it more clear that Jen is brainwashed I'd probably give this issue a 5/5, but those two qualms really brought down the experience for me a bit. This is still my favorite Marvel book though.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

i cant help but suspect the different shades of colors used on the characters are supposed to reflect or convey something

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Anyone else wondering about the sound effects? I can't see BAMF and THWIP on the page and not think of Nightcrawler and Spidey.
    image.jpg
    "Self has no time for this."

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    The art style grew on me as I read on. I think maybe a different colors or something. Everything was so washed out. Arts so subjective who's to say. I personally felt different about the book panel to panel... I'm still not sure

Is it possible the blue file is somehow redzone related? I don't think it is but boy I wish it was and Jen had to reassemble that team somehow.
    Interesting but Monica and Shocker where not around when Red Zone happened.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    What a bizarre issue. I generally liked it, and loved certain aspects of it, but the scene-to-scene transitions were confusing, and the inconsistent coloring was unacceptable. She-Hulk moves from a blue-green shade to a lime-green shade, Sharon moves from a dark-black to a much lighter brown-black...I dig Wimberly's exaggerated art style, but to have the same characters colored in completely different shades in the same book is a no-no. That's ridiculous and should have been addressed before the issue came out, with the book delayed if necessary. I hope that is something addressed for the trade and perhaps in a digital update, because it's just very amateurish and makes it seem like the creators and Marvel do not care about providing a consistent reading experience for the audience.

Beyond that, as said, I really did like the art. The battle scenes with the demon creatures were flat-out insane, and I liked how Jen looked absolutely monstrous when she "hulked up." Nightwatch looked incredible in costume and I even thought he looked really interesting and handsome in his civilian clothes. I would like to see his character return. Wimberly does a nice job with character expressions, as doped-up Patsy was cute and his Hei-Hei looked adorable, as if you could really sense his care for his master. If they can just get consistent coloring I would have no problem with Wimberly returning for future fill-ins, but his work was so poorly received by most fans that I kind of doubt he will be back.

For the writing, I liked pretty much everything up until the end, when the whole issue kind of fell apart (on first read). I didn't really get that Jen was hypnotized / brainwashed at first, and her nonchalant way of ending the Blue File felt really out of character and then made the whole plotline feel like a waste of time for fans. After reading some reactions online, most people think that Jen is brainwashed here at the end, and if true then her characterization obviously makes a lot more sense, but I do still feel this was a very abrupt way to (temporarily) end this storyline. I think what made this feel so awkward for me was that Jen's rationale ("let sleeping dogs lie") is a fairly valid one, so I accepted it in that sense, but it just doesn't gel with the Jen that we've established in this series AT ALL, who sees everything through to the end. So hopefully there is more Blue File to come.

If they would have fixed the coloring and made it more clear that Jen is brainwashed I'd probably give this issue a 5/5, but those two qualms really brought down the experience for me a bit. This is still my favorite Marvel book though.
    The Blue File is going to continue through the series.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Anyone else wondering about the sound effects? I can't see BAMF and THWIP on the page and not think of Nightcrawler and Spidey.
    I was thinking more of the Bamf critters, actually, when I saw those imps.

As for the Blue File, I'm a bit disappointed that Jen just tossed it aside, but we know it's going to come back to haunt her.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I tried this on a recomdation after drpopping Any She-hulk after CW, the writing was great, but I don't know id I can get past the art which seeming makes everyone a monster