Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The Lois stuff was patently ridiculous to me. Having her do a bunch of OP stuff is not good writing. Lois Lane by and large is a good character because of her mind. Her smarts and her cunning in the capacity of a human being. Again this is taking something that in small doses was fun (HellBat/glove), and going way overboard with it. She shouldn't be beating up on the Furies. Using her wits to stay away from them, maybe. But joining and then beating them up was silly.
    Her mind is a huge part of her character, but so is her tough-as-nails, bulldog attitude. She's willing to throw herself into danger to get a story, but also when she feels she needs to to protect people. Any writer who has Lois able to survive in the most trying of circumstances, even galvanizing the Furies behind her, knows who Lois is.

Also, in one of King's very first issues of Batman, he had Bruce lift Grundy clean over his head and slam him on the ground. King is obviously no stranger to unrealistic feats for a character who is supposed to be human. Also, New Gods aren't straight up invulnerable. Everyone from Captain Boomerang to Batman has battled them. Count Vertigo once just straight stabbed Kanto in the back. So Lois punching them isn't that much of a stretch.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 12-24-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Her mind is a huge part of her character, but so is her tough-as-nails, bulldog attitude. She's willing to throw herself into danger to get a story, but also when she feels she needs to to protect people. Any writer who has Lois able to survive in the most trying of circumstances, even galvanizing the Furies behind her, knows who Lois is.

Also, in one of King's very first issues of Batman, he had Bruce lift Grundy clean over his head and slam him on the ground. King is obviously no stranger to unrealistic feats for a character who is supposed to be human. Also, New Gods aren't straight up invulnerable. Everyone from Captain Boomerang to Batman has battled them. Count Vertigo once just straight stabbed Kanto in the back. So Lois punching them isn't that much of a stretch.
    Aliana Hubbard, one of the furies Lois beat was a human if I remember correctly. Not all of them are super powered or invulnerable.

King's "Super friends" arc was pretty good. But the way he writes dialogues gets on my nerves. I wouldn't mind him writing a couple of Superman stories, but not much.

Oh I don't by any means think Tomasi is the only offender of this. It doesn't surprise me to see King do something like that with Batman. Its just not something I'm into. He shouldn't be able to do stuff like that. Neither should Selina, neither should Lois, neither should Steve Trevor, and so on and so forth. That's just my preference. I know the New Gods aren't outright invulnerable, but they should be able to wipe the floor with a normal human. Batman included, unless he's in some sort of tank or something. I'm used to superpowered folk like Superman making quick work of Furies and guys like Desaad and Kanto, but even that I don't prefer. I like all of Apokolips/New Genesis to be quite formidable. But its at least a little easier to swallow when someone like Superman tosses Kanto aside rather buying Lois beating up Furies or Batman actually striking Darkseid.

I'm not as touchy with New Gods lore as some, hell I didn't even mind Greg Pak's Darkseid oneshot that redid his origin, but I am a stickler when it comes to how their power is portrayed. I don't like it taken lightly.

By the way, it wouldn't be getting some debating in on Christmas Eve without wishing everyone a Merry Christmas. Or Happy Holidays depending on how you roll.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-24-2017 at 09:34 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I loved the dynamic. Clark and Lois were great here, and I enjoyed them much more here than I have in what I've read of the Superman books recently. Once King is done with Batman, I'd love him on Superman. The franchise desperately needs a shot in the arm. Can't wait to see what he does with Diana next issue too.

Bruce used Grundy's speed (who was running right at him) to judo throw him into the ground. It was Grundy's momentum that knocked him out, not Bruce's strength. And he was also probably weakened from fighting Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    Aliana Hubbard, one of the furies Lois beat was a human if I remember correctly. Not all of them are super powered or invulnerable.
    A casual glance at Comic Vine shows that Stompa, Mad Harriet and Lashina were in this issue, none of whom Lois has any business beating in a straight up fight. They can, and have, challenged Wonder Woman and Big Barda. What the hell is Lois going to do?

(I didn't read the issue, but most of the comments I see don't indicate that it was a well thought out plot point).

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its been really good. It really drives home that any tension in their relationship is born from brotherhood rivalry at absolute best. They're both very stubborn individuals, but the bond is incredibly strong.

Hell, just stand alone his Superman and Lois in a two issue guest appearance blows away anything done with the two during Rebirth in Action and Superman so much so its kinda embarrassing. From a characterization point of view.
    Embarrassing for... the creators? I don't think someone should be embarrassed for pouring out a year of long hours to, going by that assertion, a possibly unforgiving sea of readers.

This sort of thing in turn makes me more critical of King. Not that I think any lesser of his work, but that I'm resentful to seeing it so set apart. The idea that one person can come along and do two issues and have it called better than a year of work sort of bums me out. Especially when it is this style, and unlike in the James Bonny story where Lois has to actually be in a story, the character literally sits there and explains what makes her tick on panel. It's like if you had some neighbor who lived there when your grandparents and parents were both kids, and they introduce themselves to you for the millionth Christmas.