Default Is Barbatos the hyper adapter or not?

Loving metal. It’s great. Love it. So we’ll start with that. But I do have a question.

Following Morrison’s Mythos of Barbatos (which was added to the dark city story from years ago) has Barbatos as the hyper adapter, a time traveling monster that becomes Barbatos. Something from apokolips

THomas hurt then becomes adapter incarnate and haunts Bruce as the leader of the black glove.

I suppose we could write all this off as pre flash point but we’ve been told final crisis did happen (don’t forget baby darkseid)

From Batman lost and the latest issue Barbatos is a cosmic being from the multiverse . Which seems more similar to the original idea in dark city. But if final crisis happened why isn’t Barbatos the hyper adapter or Thomas hurt?

Help me here.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by mortymantis View Post
    Loving metal. It’s great. Love it. So we’ll start with that. But I do have a question.

Following Morrison’s Mythos of Barbatos (which was added to the dark city story from years ago) has Barbatos as the hyper adapter, a time traveling monster that becomes Barbatos. Something from apokolips

THomas hurt then becomes adapter incarnate and haunts Bruce as the leader of the black glove.

I suppose we could write all this off as pre flash point but we’ve been told final crisis did happen (don’t forget baby darkseid)

From Batman lost and the latest issue Barbatos is a cosmic being from the multiverse . Which seems more similar to the original idea in dark city. But if final crisis happened why isn’t Barbatos the hyper adapter or Thomas hurt?

Help me here.
    If we're trying to maker everything fit, the hyper-adapter may simply be an avatar of Barbatos; not the entity in it's entirety.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    If we're trying to maker everything fit, the hyper-adapter may simply be an avatar of Barbatos; not the entity in it's entirety.

I think it has to fit. Remember the issue where Batman references final crisis ? He brings in baby darkseid to go backwards in time again. It’s connected but I don’t get it.

It's probably time-paradox at it best. Either The Forger saw the Hyper-Adapter and created a Dragon in his image... or the Adapter glimpsed Barbatos and twisted to look more like the Great Destroyer or something. All in all, I think they are two different beings but both connected to Batman and influencing each others.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's probably time-paradox at it best. Either The Forger saw the Hyper-Adapter and created a Dragon in his image... or the Adapter glimpsed Barbatos and twisted to look more like the Great Destroyer or something. All in all, I think they are two different beings but both connected to Batman and influencing each others.

Then why reference it in metal?

Amazing Member

I would assume so and it's doing an extension of what it was created to.

The Hyper Adaptor was created/summoned by Final Crisis Darkseid using his own personal Father Box, the Ancestor Box. Devices capable of warping reality, it was summoned as a contingency to destroy existence by messing with Batmans timeline.

Everything Barbatos is doing right now is an extension of exactly what it attempted to do post Final Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextersinister View Post
    I would assume so and it's doing an extension of what it was created to.

The Hyper Adaptor was created/summoned by Final Crisis Darkseid using his own personal Father Box, the Ancestor Box. Devices capable of warping reality, it was summoned as a contingency to destroy existence by messing with Batmans timeline.

Everything Barbatos is doing right now is an extension of exactly what it attempted to do post Final Crisis.
    So you’re saying darkseid just summoned Barbatos? So the hyper adapter and Barbatos are one in the same? Not a creation of darkseid?

I tend to think the HA was a fragment of Barbatos. Also, I disagree that Simon Hurt became the "essence" of anything. He was just a guy who was exposed to otherworldly forces and got long life out of the deal (comic rules dictate that exposure to lethal levels of radiation result in super-powers).

Anyway, that's why when Hurt tried to summon Barbatos, he got the HA instead. Darkseid created the HA via some indeterminate means that involved harnessing whatever it is that Barbatos is made of or exudes, so in a sense the HA is a Mini-Me Barbatos. Or so my head canon goes - I'm sure this will change if there are further clarifications in Metal.

Spectacular Member

As of now, Hyper Adaptor and Barbatos are two separate entities. When the Hyper Adaptor took different shapes and moved through time, one of the names it received was Barbathos, but Barbatos is not the Hyper Adaptor. It would be like someone referring to the HA as the Devil or Lucifer or some dark demon, but in actuality the HA is not THE Lucifer Morningstar. They're just names and/or myths/forces that got interchanged with something "dark". Hope that clarifies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammar View Post
    As of now, Hyper Adaptor and Barbatos are two separate entities. When the Hyper Adaptor took different shapes and moved through time, one of the names it received was Barbathos, but Barbatos is not the Hyper Adaptor. It would be like someone referring to the HA as the Devil or Lucifer or some dark demon, but in actuality the HA is not THE Lucifer Morningstar. They're just names and/or myths/forces that got interchanged with something "dark". Hope that clarifies.

I remember the hyper adapter showed his true form in one of the issues of the return of Bruce Wayne. He was like a squid. I like the idea of HA taking the form of bartbatos, but narratively this has not been explained.

Isn’t Morrison doing one of the metal spin offs? Maybe he’ll explain it?

Fantastic Member

It has been stated that Barbatos chased Bruce through time though in Metal itself, and that was the Hyper adapter, so I don't think they're different beings now. The idea with Morrison's take was that the Hyper Adapter became a Bat demon/Barbatos due to bonding with Bruce in the future, then falling back into the past, where it then became known as the Barbatos from Dark Knight, Dark City, and I think it still works with the current story.

Barbatos' origin from the newest Metal as the "destroyer" of the Dark Multiverse doesn't really contradict that since his original form there wasn't bat themed either, but just known as "the dragon". So, the only change is that rather than the Hyper Adapter being created by Darkseid (which was never really stated even, it was just the assumption since he pulled it out of nowhere) he just unleashed it on Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    It has been stated that Barbatos chased Bruce through time though in Metal itself, and that was the Hyper adapter, so I don't think they're different beings now. The idea with Morrison's take was that the Hyper Adapter became a Bat demon/Barbatos due to bonding with Bruce in the future, then falling back into the past, where it then became known as the Barbatos from Dark Knight, Dark City, and I think it still works with the current story.

Barbatos' origin from the newest Metal as the "destroyer" of the Dark Multiverse doesn't really contradict that since his original form there wasn't bat themed either, but just known as "the dragon". So, the only change is that rather than the Hyper Adapter being created by Darkseid (which was never really stated even, it was just the assumption since he pulled it out of nowhere) he just unleashed it on Bruce.

Great point. We forgot to mention Batman lost. Dark Knight dark city plays a role in that book as well as the bat tribe. I’ll have to go back and read it

If you have hoopla I suggest reading

Dark Knight dark city
    Batman rip
    Final crisis
    Return of Bruce Wayne (not on hoopla)
    Battle for the cowl
    Morrison’s Batman and Robin

All those books 👆 deal with barbatos

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post

Just went back and read Batman lost. It actually says that Barbatos saw the hyper adapter chasing Bruce. So apparently they are two beings. But I’m just trying to figure out the Dark Knight dark city scene when Thomas hurt said he was the adapter incarnate