Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It's not something I can ignore and move forward from myself, but all power to those who can and/or want to.

I felt the same about the Hal Jordan/Parallax thing in the 90's and let that fester for MANY years. My personal opinion is that MJ marriage just wasn't as important. There are WAY too many Spider-man medias where MJ plays little to no role in it... and zero medias where they are a happily married couple.. It's well known Marvel wanted it over... If it wasn't Mephisto than it probably would have a random mugging or cab accident.

ACTUALLY... If "I" were to write OMD that's how "I" would have ended. May gets shot... Peter moves heaven and hell to save her... Mephisto makes a deal to undo the stupid unmasking and bring May back for the price of ending the marriage. As soon as that happens, Time rewinds and Peter hears a shot, Aunt may does NOT fall... but MJ does. Parker luck strikes again.

I actually think I would have switched Mephisto for Loki maybe... but same principle. OMD was too open ended and had people talking years later. As much as Karen Page getting killed annoys DD fans... we don't harp on that killing any more. It's just something that happened and the character moved on...

It's that 'ghost' that keeps lingering around that people want to see undone that hurts the line.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    There are WAY too many Spider-man medias where MJ plays little to no role in it
    Name them, because I can't think of any. Many of the video games depict her as the wife or girlfriend. Prior to the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, MJ had substantial roles in many of the animated adaptations (and a clone of her got to marry Peter in one of them)

... and zero medias where they are a happily married couple..
    Nonsense. The Spider-Man Unlimited game features the RYV MJ and Annie as unlockable characters, and Peter and MJ are happily married in the newspaper strip.

The reality is we've never had a year without the Spider-Marriage since vows were exchanged thirty years ago.

It's well known Marvel wanted it over... If it wasn't Mephisto than it probably would have a random mugging or cab accident.

ACTUALLY... If "I" were to write OMD that's how "I" would have ended. May gets shot... Peter moves heaven and hell to save her... Mephisto makes a deal to undo the stupid unmasking and bring May back for the price of ending the marriage. As soon as that happens, Time rewinds and Peter hears a shot, Aunt may does NOT fall... but MJ does. Parker luck strikes again.
    I think they already did a What If take on "Back In Black" where MJ was shot instead of Aunt May and died. The writer of that one-shot was editorially mandated to not even refer to nor feature Mephisto

As much as Karen Page getting killed annoys DD fans... we don't harp on that killing any more. It's just something that happened and the character moved on...
    Karen's only one of several iconic DD love interests. She just happened to become the Gwen Stacy, and Matt didn't actually move on for a long time as her death affected him psychologically for years.

Matt's had several suitors that have been on equal par with Karen over the years, but MJ has no such rival other than maybe Felicia.

I think even Karen will eventually come back too. Don't ask me how though.

That said, I do agree. It was a plot point to achieve a crappy goal and it's best to just ignore it and move forward. Of all the evil Mephisto wants to take credit for since forever... 'Getting away with this' is hardly the end all crime.
    Some of us have too much respect for the characters to ignore a victory for evil and against God
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 12-22-2017 at 03:17 AM.

[QUOTE=Miles To Go;3329854] Name them, because I can't think of any. Many of the video games depict her as the wife or girlfriend. Prior to the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, MJ had substantial roles in many of the animated adaptations (and a clone of her got to marry Peter in one of them)
    [QUOTE=Miles To Go;3329854]

Just off the top of my head, I do not remember MJ having a substantial part in...

70's live action.
    60's cartoon (which they still use the theme song from in everything...)
    Spider-man and his amazing Friends.
    Spider-Man unlimited I don't remember much... but he was on an alternate earth so it barely counts as a Spider-man show anyway...
    Spectacular Spider-man was all about Gwen
    Ultimate Spider-man had MJ as more 'friend' than 'girlfriend' but they spent multiple seasons cutting out ALL of parker's home life and focusing JUST on his superhero/SHIELD life.

The 90's show gave us a 'fairly' devoted Peter/MJ, while still keeping him single enough to have Black Cat stories...

Three out of Six Live action Spider-man movies had nothing to do with MJ... and the first series ended when they committed to being married...

And I'm sure there are few series I've forgotten about. Spidey's had a bunch of them. I know the Neil Patrick Harris one was all about MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

Nonsense. The Spider-Man Unlimited game features the RYV MJ and Annie as unlockable characters, and Peter and MJ are happily married in the newspaper strip.

The reality is we've never had a year without the Spider-Marriage since vows were exchanged thirty years ago.
    I... don't know that game? Which one is that?? Besides, an unlockable character isn't REALLY what we want to consider Media supported. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 game had a dozen unlockable costumes through history....

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

Karen's only one of several iconic DD love interests. She just happened to become the Gwen Stacy, and Matt didn't actually move on for a long time as her death affected him psychologically for years.

Matt's had several suitors that have been on equal par with Karen over the years, but MJ has no such rival other than maybe Felicia.

I think even Karen will eventually come back too. Don't ask me how though.
    Karen was the one that started it all... and She died in issues 6 or so... and he was dating Echo by #10.... Man that ticked me off...

Spider-man and his amazing Friends.
    I think Firestar was partially based on Mary Jane when they were designing her (redhead, romantic interest for Spidey).
    Spider-Man unlimited I don't remember much... but he was on an alternate earth so it barely counts as a Spider-man show anyway...
    Unlimited had Peter married to MJ. Part of his major impetus for getting back to regular Earth was to reunite with her.
    Spectacular Spider-man was all about Gwen
    Gwen was Peter's main romantic interest in Spectacular but the plan was for Mary Jane to become the main one at some point like she did in the comics.

They were way too conscious of Mary Jane's importance to Peter and Spider-Man not to be. The episode right after her debut even ended with them dancing and a heart-shaped Spider-Symbol, which I don't think any other love interest had.
    Ultimate Spider-man had MJ as more 'friend' than 'girlfriend' but they spent multiple seasons cutting out ALL of parker's home life and focusing JUST on his superhero/SHIELD life.
    And by then Marvel cartoons just dropped any romance as an element in their cartoons.

The 90's show gave us a 'fairly' devoted Peter/MJ, while still keeping him single enough to have Black Cat stories...
    But he still ended up married to Mary Jane (even though it turned out to be a clone, but it still got the point across that she was basically Peter's endgame).

I felt the same about the Hal Jordan/Parallax thing in the 90's and let that fester for MANY years. My personal opinion is that MJ marriage just wasn't as important. There are WAY too many Spider-man medias where MJ plays little to no role in it... and zero medias where they are a happily married couple.. It's well known Marvel wanted it over... If it wasn't Mephisto than it probably would have a random mugging or cab accident.

I actually think I would have switched Mephisto for Loki maybe... but same principle. OMD was too open ended and had people talking years later. As much as Karen Page getting killed annoys DD fans... we don't harp on that killing any more. It's just something that happened and the character moved on...

It's that 'ghost' that keeps lingering around that people want to see undone that hurts the line.
    Well, for some of us, it's a key piece of the franchise (I was introduced to Spidey through the Raimi movies and Ultimate comics, so I think I can be forgiven for this POV).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I want Mephisto to get lots of payback by spider-man, make it an epic battle. Anansi can give Peter a big power boost temporarily.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Yeah, Loki makes some sense, because it would be Loki paying back Parker for saving him from his own illegitimate daughter.