Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Better Silver Swan designs

What designs would have like to see for Silver Swan?

Stop relying on literal silver. I LIKE that she's a messy cyborg with a psychotic condition, so let's really lean into that with the Black Swan connotations. SO many character designs lack uniqueness, ESPECIALLY the super-villainesses. Giving Vanessa a ballerina bodice and tutu is unusual, but she's a ranged combatant so considerations for flexibility aren't as necessary. I'd bring attention to her power source by giving her a heavy, hard neck & clavicle harness like the costume from The Cell(2000). I think it's important to draw the eye away from the stereotypical male gaze. The Vulture's wings from the recent Spider-Man Homecoming are interesting and dangerous looking and clearly cybernetic. The contrast between the soft ballerina and the monstrous cybernetic elements makes Silver Swan an uncomfortable but striking image.

silverswan.jpg

I hate that they are turning her into this cyborg designs. THey should od more white and silver. Her wings can be mechanical but not all of her designs

Sorry you feel that way. I like visceral contrasts. I want her to be monstrous and a little terrifying, like 21st century Bride of Frankenstein.

Why do you want more white and silver? What are you imagining?

I mean I have no problems with the monstrous but there are ways of making it fit better. I don't actually mind the cybernetic design it actually more it depends on the person for me. I dislike the rebirth design. But it will probably change

I liked this one and this one

It's more of at times DC just makes it look too messy. The cybernetic look can work but you have to do it right or it looks ugly.

White and Silver are colors that I think make sense due to the whole Silver Swan name. Also, I was going for more of the first Silver Swan origins of her being a ballerina and Swan Lake costumes

I also think to make her first looks like a beautiful swan but next thing you know her look changes to this to this birds of prey. I think it can work but it's more of how she design her. I mean certain parts should be real and others cybernetic. Like her wings are real but her suit is cybernetic.

For White and Silver it was more of Helena's origin and design I was thinking about. Her job as a ballerina and swans and swan lake.

I think at first her apperance is lovely like a swan but when needs to she has they monstorum form. Her designs needs to be half and half. I did like those wings
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-21-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Yeah I don’t know man. In the past, Silver Swan was designed to be provocative and put in sexpot underwear costumes. I think it’s inappropriate to Vanessa’s character, even WITH a psychosis and a college-age sexual identity.

She’s an insane flying sonic-screamer whose powers are a mix of magic and science. I don’t think I share your vision. Sorry bro.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Yeah I don’t know man. In the past, Silver Swan was designed to be provocative and put in sexpot underwear costumes. I think it’s inappropriate to Vanessa’s character, even WITH a psychosis and a college-age sexual identity.

She’s an insane flying sonic-screamer whose powers are a mix of magic and science. I don’t think I share your vision. Sorry bro.
    It's fine. I just hope they use her well. I wonder who did you wanted to be? I just hope they make use of Silver Swan's character. How do you hope they write her?

Retired

I think in comic books you want to strike the right balance between preserving some of what all the past creators have contributed to a franchise and progressing with new designs to keep the franchise fresh.

The thing is, Gene Colan was one of the all-time greats of the comic book medium and it's quite a feather in the cap of Wonder Woman that he was a regular artist; yet, there's very little of what he contributed to Wonder Woman that has survived. It's Silver Swan and that's about it. So for the sake of keeping something of his work still present, it would be better to keep Gene's original design.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    It's fine. I just hope they use her well. I wonder who did you wanted to be? I just hope they make use of Silver Swan's character. How do you hope they write her?
    I may be one of the few who feels the Vanessa Kapatelis character has the most emotional impact and therefore best recurring villain threat.

I'm also not in love with nu52or Rebirth continuities, and you've read enough of my posts to know I riff on my own ideas, at length, often with indepth considerations.

Anyway, my ideal Silver Swan is Vanessa Sandsmark, oldest daughter of Julia Alexandros-Sandsmark. Last names aren't finalized, but in any case, Diana lives with them for extended periods of time throughout the girl's childhood and has a profound effect on them. Vanessa is the more studious sister, Cassandra is the more athletic sister. When [Donna] appears from Themyscira, she is the same age as Vanessa, and pulls the heroine away from the Sandsmark sisters. Vanessa's mental health issues grow and manifest as paranoia and psychosis and obsessions. Vanessa attends college and becomes overwhelmed in her engineering studies as well as her ballet scholarship. Her relationship to Diana is revealed, and she's kidnapped by VLNE Inc, who change her into the Silver Swan, using magic and science.

She's crazy, and hateful. She hates Diana, [Donna], Cassie. In order to keep her safe from hurting others, herself, or falling into the hands of the villains that made her, Diana keeps Vanessa on her magical prison island in Gateway City. Vanessa continues to escape though, and has to be put back in with somewhat regularity, until Diana's friends in the League can figure out a way to remove the spells and cybernetics from her body.

I may be one of the few who feels the Vanessa Kapatelis character has the most emotional impact and therefore best recurring villain threat.

I'm also not in love with nu52or Rebirth continuities, and you've read enough of my posts to know I riff on my own ideas, at length, often with indepth considerations.

Anyway, my ideal Silver Swan is Vanessa Sandsmark, oldest daughter of Julia Alexandros-Sandsmark. Last names aren't finalized, but in any case, Diana lives with them for extended periods of time throughout the girl's childhood and has a profound effect on them. Vanessa is the more studious sister, Cassandra is the more athletic sister. When [Donna] appears from Themyscira, she is the same age as Vanessa, and pulls the heroine away from the Sandsmark sisters. Vanessa's mental health issues grow and manifest as paranoia and psychosis and obsessions. Vanessa attends college and becomes overwhelmed in her engineering studies as well as her ballet scholarship. Her relationship to Diana is revealed, and she's kidnapped by VLNE Inc, who change her into the Silver Swan, using magic and science.

She's crazy, and hateful. She hates Diana, [Donna], Cassie. In order to keep her safe from hurting others, herself, or falling into the hands of the villains that made her, Diana keeps Vanessa on her magical prison island in Gateway City. Vanessa continues to escape though, and has to be put back in with somewhat regularity, until Diana's friends in the League can figure out a way to remove the spells and cybernetics from her body.
    Would Cassie still be a demi-god? I mean in a sense it would be interesting to see how that would be affected Vasnessa.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Would Cassie still be a demi-god? I mean in a sense it would be interesting to see how that would be affected Vasnessa.
    I don't think I'd make Cassandra a demigod in a custom continuity. I have my own ideas about what she'd be, but mainly --she'd be a girl with toys. Ancient Myth Weapons and Armor from her mother's museum.

This would actually be a very interesting story, one of my biggest problems with Vanessa as the Swan is that it had such wasted potential, but your ideas are quite good indeed, I'd read that story. I also love the Black Swan idea, I personally love Vanessa as a tragic villain with a chance of recovery -- and because I think that she also fits as a great rogue for Cassie. I know that no matter how this Swan run is (and I know it will be tragically bad), I'd prefer this idea way better.

I don't think I'd make Cassandra a demigod in a custom continuity. I have my own ideas about what she'd be, but mainly --she'd be a girl with toys. Ancient Myth Weapons and Armor from her mother's museum.
    I'd be okay with Cassie being a demigod, but if Diana is a current demigod daughter of Zeus, and Jason existing, I see the role being redundant. I wouldn't oppose to her being a normal girl with magic-weapon toys as you said.

Thanks. I want to set up a relationship between the sisters similar to the one between Cheetah and Diana.

Where Diana is blessed by the Gods and respectful, Cheetah steals from the gods and is cursed.

Where Cassandra herself chooses to use weaponry, Vanessa is forced by others to become a weapon.

Thanks. I want to set up a relationship between the sisters similar to the one between Cheetah and Diana.

Where Diana is blessed by the Gods and respectful, Cheetah steals from the gods and is cursed.

Where Cassandra herself chooses to use weaponry, Vanessa is forced by others to become a weapon.
    I see. It's actually an interesting dynamic, I think you mentioned you wanted an Arya-Sansa relationship.