Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Will Trump Allow the Fox Acquisition By Disney?

How amazing would it be if we finally said "that's enough" to Trump over, of all things, comic book movies?! These are crazy times, my friends.

BANNED

In before the lock!

BANNED

Yes as long as someone doesn't say anything mean about the orange disappointment.

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

I heard Trump did approve the deal and congratulated Murdoch over it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    In before the lock!
    Why? This is a very legitimate topic of conversations. Trump's FCC is almost certain to let it pass, as the current administration is demonstrably behind the interests of big business over the consumer.

This SHOULD be blocked by anti-trust, and it sounds like Democrats in congress are gearing up for a fight. If it goes through Disney is going to have a disproportionately large share of the industry once you factor in all of the studios they'll now own. Dollars alone you could be looking at as high as 50% of the market depending on the year, and that's going to cut down significantly on competition (ESPECIALLY in mainstream animation with the purchase of Blue Sky eliminating a significant rival now that they already own Pixar).

BANNED

It will get passed because it's going to greatly benefit Fox News.

Astonishing Member

I'm not sure, it depends on how Disney assimilates FOX, and its more of the president it sets rather then the deal it self. If it goes throught it could set Disney buying out ons of there competers every few years. I hoping ir dosent mainly because the merger would mean less movies or the risk of them cannibalizing them self.

I feel like the worst person in the world by agreeing with Trump on something.

Amazing Member

Would anyone here actually fight to get it to go through (if the White House blocks it, that is) or would you just chalk it up to absolute power corrupting absolutely? That would be a weird debate as, in order to get the movies we want, we'd have to side with corporate America which would give them legal precedence to abuse it even further in the future. But not fighting it would allow one man to decide the fate of the many simply because someone at Disney didn't kiss the ring of power. I'm torn. Oh and he's currently doing this with AT&T so yes he most likely will try if it's not in his best interests.

He already showed support for it. It was a few Democracts that stated it was a bad idea. I tend to agree with being wary if I sideline my X-Men bias and I think they'll take senate majority next year. So they might stop it

AT&T is a different kettle of fish and he never supported that merger
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 12-22-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Amazing Member

Oh yeah, I never thought of the whole Rupert Murdoch angle...he WOULD want that to go through to help Fox News succeed. Could this pass before the Dems take power next year?

Quote Originally Posted by reinnemann2 View Post
    Oh yeah, I never thought of the whole Rupert Murdoch angle...he WOULD want that to go through to help Fox News succeed. Could this pass before the Dems take power next year?
    No it's 18 months. And fox news isn't included in this deal otherwise I'd be even more opposed to 5 entities controlling 70% of us media

Amazing Member

No, I'm saying Murdoch NEEDS that money to help Fox News so that's why this is safe for now.

The acquisition is going through, it's basically a done deal. What this means in specific terms is that Deadpool 2 will be the last R-rated Deadpool film we'll ever see. Wouldn't be at all surprised if there was major pressure from Disney to get a PG-13 for D2 closer to the June release date.

Quote Originally Posted by brainy1313 View Post
    The acquisition is going through, it's basically a done deal. What this means in specific terms is that Deadpool 2 will be the last R-rated Deadpool film we'll ever see. Wouldn't be at all surprised if there was major pressure from Disney to get a PG-13 for D2 closer to the June release date.
    It's not a done deal not without government approval