Default How would you like to see certain Woman Woman Villains written?

I think a good way to revamp Ares would be for it to come out that he and Steve Trevor are like two sides of the same coin but unaware of it. Like a Jekyll and Hyde type scenario. I like this idea because Wonder Woman claims to be a champion of love and an enemy of war yet she's a warrior by nature and I'd love for a story line that calls her out on it. Like Ares is seemingly killed Diana is about to marry Steve Trevor all is right with the world then just as they say "I do" and are about to kiss the wedding is attacked and then during the battle Steve starts going through a weird transformation and he doesn't understand what's happening and boom he's clad in black armor and the once thought vanquished Ares returns and it's discovered he and Steve Trevor are two parts of the same whole.

As for how I'd do Ares's origin I'd have written that a lazy Zeus and Hera not wanting to bother with their child abandoned him(there are many myths of Gods abandoning their children) in the world of man during a harsh and violent time of man kind's history and for Ares to have lived a life as a slave, then gladiator, then an honored soldier and for him in the beginning he could have been a good man who had faith in the gods much like Diana believes in her deities only as soon as he discovered he was a god among mortals he discovered to his horror how the gods he spent his life having faith in really didn't give a **** about humanity. Which would cause him to look back on all the sacrifices he made and feel nothing but disgust for himself and humanity because he'd feel like a fool for believing the world of man was worth saving and fighting for. Then when he began training Diana (I think I read somewhere he trained her at one time) he saw a lot of who he used to be in her and couldn't handle it so he pushed her away and subconsciously created Steve Trevor as a coping mechanism.

Pretty much with Ares I'd make him someone who used to have faith and used to care for others then just stopped caring after losing everything while discovering the truth about himself and just decided to just drown himself in battle to numb himself to his own pain. What I like about this is it really creates a chicken and egg conundrum with Ares like is he the God of War because he was meant to be or is he the god or war because he was influenced by humanity? Pretty much someone like this warning this clip is graphic.

Now with Cheetah what I'd do differently is I'd reboot her past so that when Diana left her home something happened and she lost her memory and got taken advantage of by mercanaries and while working for or with said mercenaries Cheetah's family was taken hostage and Cheetah begged for mercy from Diana who at the time had no memory of her past and so the worst scenario happened and Cheetah lost her husband and children and later found herself cursed and transformed vowing to take revenge on Diana. I like this idea because it really gives Cheetah a deeply personal reason to hate Diana and leaves no hope of them ever being able to reconcile and at the same time it gives Diana reason to keep trying to appeal to Cheetah's humanity.

Finally Medusa I'd retcon her as being Hypolita's first born daughter and a amazon that was a victim of the god's cruelty(especially Poseidon) and that instead of protecting and believing Medusa Hypolita shunned her and sided with gods choosing instead to not anger the God's wrath and I'd also retcon the Gorgon's as a tribe of Amazons that were banished and shunned like Medusa for defending and taking Medusa's side. I like this idea because it really makes Medusa a villain to root for. I like this idea because it makes Medusa a good tragic villain and gives her plenty of reasons to hate the Amazons.

Extraordinary Member

In general, Wonder Woman villains should be written as reacting to her actions, instead of her reacting to their actions. Make Wondie be a bit for proactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    In general, Wonder Woman villains should be written as reacting to her actions, instead of her reacting to their actions. Make Wondie be a bit for proactive.
    Heroes react to villainy because that is what they're supposed to do. A problem arises and they try to fix it. Diana shouldn't be provoking the villains.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Heroes react to villainy because that is what they're supposed to do. A problem arises and they try to fix it. Diana shouldn't be provoking the villains.
    I disagree. Wonder Woman should be actively trying to make the world a better place, and there are a lot of people who have a vested interest in keeping it bad

Angle Man - I was pretty happy with the Jimenez version as a charismatic scoundrel-thief, so I'd bring him back.

Queen Clea - I enjoyed the Jimenez version here too, but I'd make her a despotic ruler of the Atlantean city-state of Venturia with her own citizens, followers, militia, etc. She'd also have a penchant for using magical and mystical objects. (Like the Trident of Poseidon she used in the Jimenez run.)

Giganta - Ms. Doris Zeul needs a complete overhaul. I think the most characterization she's gotten in the last 20 years is in Justice League Unlimited and in the Atom's (Ryan Choi's) title - not even the Wonder Woman book sadly (just a little bit in the Byrne run.) To me, Doris would work best by not having her as solely as hired muscle or simply an enormous spectacle. She needs and deserves more than that. Along with the other infamous Doctors in Diana's world, I'd make Doris Zeul and brilliant doctor/scientist focusing on metahuman, mythical, magical, alien, extradimensional, demigod, and godly biology, biochemistry, and genetics. She another of the mad scientists in the Wonder Woman mythos that literally turned herself into a monster. She's a bit zealous and a bit unscrupulous and succumbs to power after she first tastes it. She's not a dumb brute at any size and should be able to hold her own with Dr. Sivana or Dr. Mid-Nite (wherever he is) or others when it comes to her specialty.

Going forward, I'd love it if writers referred to these specific writers for each villain:

Cheetah - Greg Rucka's version from Rebirth.

Ares - Greg Rucka's version from Post-Crisis.

Circe - I haven't really seen a Circe that I feel has reached her potential, honestly. I guess George Perez's.

Giganta - Same as Circe, she hasn't really had a defining writer for me.

Doctor Psycho - It's not hard to get Doctor Psycho right, but my personal favorite is Greg Rucka's first run.

Queen Clea - Phil Jimenez's version.

Doctor Poison - Eric Luke's version.

Silver Swan - Roy Thomas's version (the original Silver Swan, Helen Alexandros).

Doctor Cyber - Greg Rucka's version from Rebirth.

Angle Man - Phil Jimenez's version.

Deimos and Phobos - Honestly, I'd love to see a mix of Greg Rucka's version's personalities and George Perez's version's monstrous designs.

Eris - Brian Azzarello's version.

Circe - I'm down with the George Perez and Phil Jimenez versions. I tend to like Circe a bit more when she's interacting with other gods (Ares) and bewitching humanity (but not getting punked by other villains - I'm looking at you Lex Luthor, when you refused her advances.) She should be a BIG player, so please no more of her membership in the Injustice Society (unless she's clandestinely pulling the strings of other villains.) Her seat of power is Aeaea and she always has some horrifying Beastiamorphs at hand.

Doctor Psycho - Another of Diana's "monster" villains. Something about the Perez-designed version is truly frightening. I'd mix that version with Rucka's take in his first Wonder Woman run. (Despite usually love Simone's work, I wasn't as found of her Psycho in The Society - diminutive comedic nutjob didn't work for me.) Psycho should be one of the major telepaths and telekinetics on the planet. I don't even mind bringing in some of his original occult abilities, because there's something interesting their regarding his manifestation and manipulation of ectoplasm in the terrors he creates. He should be completely unnerving when encountered and clearly has antisocial personality disorder as well as an uber-strong misogynistic streak. It doesn't matter if you're Wonder Woman or Cheetah or Queen Clea or Giganta or Circe - if you're female, Psycho want to control you.

Doctor Poison - Yay, more mad doctors! Luke's Doctor Poison was the greatest contribution to his run. I always have wanted to see a Doctor Poison and Joker encounter - I feel they might have a very demented simpatico for each other, if anyone is going to besides Harley Quinn and the Creeper. She's a brilliant chemist and absolute wild card and incorrigible sadist. Someone who loves experimentation and knowledge for knowledge's sake - no matter the cost. Like Zeul, she's fascinated by the effects of chemicals on the physiologies of all the varied species of beings in the DCU.

Children of Ares - I go back to Deimos, Phobos, Eris, and Harmonia of the Perez run. They should have their classic look, but also an updated contemporary style (similar to what Rucka did with the gods in his first Wonder Woman run) for running around the DCU. E.G. Eris can look like Eris, but also Strife from Azz's run. I like the duality of their forms and hate when the gods are stagnated to only Hellenistic versions (similar to how I feel about the Amazons.)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Going forward, I'd love it if writers referred to these specific writers for each villain:

Cheetah - Greg Rucka's version from Rebirth.

Ares - Greg Rucka's version from Post-Crisis.

Circe - I haven't really seen a Circe that I feel has reached her potential, honestly. I guess George Perez's.

Giganta - Same as Circe, she hasn't really had a defining writer for me.

Doctor Psycho - It's not hard to get Doctor Psycho right, but my personal favorite is Greg Rucka's first run.

Queen Clea - Phil Jimenez's version.

Doctor Poison - Eric Luke's version.

Silver Swan - Roy Thomas's version (the original Silver Swan, Helen Alexandros).

Doctor Cyber - Greg Rucka's version from Rebirth.

Angle Man - Phil Jimenez's version.

Deimos and Phobos - Honestly, I'd love to see a mix of Greg Rucka's version's personalities and George Perez's version's monstrous designs.

Eris - Brian Azzarello's version.
    This is pretty dead on with how I'd like to see them written. Maybe give Rucka's Dr. Cyber a physical, cloaked android body she can download herself into to interact with the physical world but still exist in the Net simultaneously.

I'd add Seeley's Saturna/Eviless and Morrison and Rucka's take on Egg Fu (Chang Tzu- making Egg Fu even halfway decent with that take is a Herculean feat).

Doctor Psycho - I'd make her a blend of the original Bondian villain she portrayed with the later techno-armored mystic version. She's got a little bit of that technomancy vibe of Doctor Doom. I'm eager to make her a villainous Iron Man of sorts, but leading a sinister espionage cabal as well that rivals Kobra, The League of Shadows, etc. She's after world domination and employs a number nefarious characters and agents to do her bidding. A great way to revamp some Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age characters.

Villainy Inc. - As DC's first-ever supervillain team, I might retcon them to have had a long and clandestine history behind the scenes of the DCU and reveal them as two new members are inducted. In their "first" adventure, Wonder Woman and team would learn of them, the team's origin, past members, and reveal the latest members.

Superwoman - 1) I'd bring her (and the whole Earth-3 concept) back and 2) develop a proper backstory for her and her Amazons that is not Lois Lane-based or Shazam-based (as in the animated Crisis on Two Earths. Superwoman and the evil Amazons need to stand on their own based on Wonder mythos concepts and not borrow from others. Not content with solely conquering her Earth, Superwoman's darkly competitive nature compels her to be the Amazonian champion and seeder of hate and despair on every Earth.