Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bright: 1st Netflix Blockbuster *spoilers*

Okay so I just finished watching and it’s not a bad movie like some are saying. Reviews are tearing it apart but I found it rather entertaining and watched the whole thing in one sitting. Acting is good, plot is decent for this type of movie, I mean it has fairy’s, elves, and orcs so I didn’t expect it to be complicated. Will Smiths character seemed to be trying to hard to be mean at times and the fairy’s lives matter joke seemed insensitive and uncalled for to me. I got the Training Day/Bad Boys vibes with a twist while watching. All in all I’ve seen way worse so I don’t know where the hate is coming from, it’s really a decent flick and I’m watching the sequel when it comes out. Can’t think of the main Orcs name but shoutout to him, he did a bang up job in that make up.

I posted a very brief "review" in the last movie you watched thread. I'll repeat that here and add some more thoughts I had after letting it sink in for a bit longer.

I was expecting better. The story was very basic and the racial similitudes with the real world very shallow. Notice that I use the word "similitudes" instead of "metaphores". There was nothing metaphoric about it. Subtle metaphores can be interesting, which is definitely not how I'd describe what this movie did with its premise.Visually, it was okay, though it's a bit of a let down that the bad guys owned 99% of all the cool bits.

(I posted that 10 minutes after seeing it.)

One thing that bothers me about it is how little they did with the premise of this "modern fantasy world". Nothing interesting at all. Sure, it was entertaining, and there were hints alluding to more interesting aspects of the world. All of that was indirect, found in dialogue and graffiti. The story itself was predictable and by the numbers. Surely everyone was expecting the Will Smith character to be one of those one in a million humans? Another thing that bothered me was the severe lack of characterization of the vast majority of the cast. The villains were defined by how cool they fought and all we found out about them was that they wanted to bring some infernal bad dude to power. Oh, one of them deserted, who happened to be the sister of the main bad girl. I think she bounced around like a monkey more often than she spoke.

Again, I was entertained, but I found the whole thing a huge waste of potential. I'd rated it 3 stars on the Netflix app.

Finished it and i really liked it. Especially the relationship between Ward and Jakoby. The movie was pretty serious but when it was funny it had me cracking up. Especially the end when Jakoby starts blabbing. I would like a sequel with a slightly better story structure. But overall i really liked it

Incredible Member

Just finished watching it. Liked it quite a bit, nice shadowrun style setting and interested in exploring more of the world. Hopefully they will get enough views to greenlight a second movie installment.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Just finished watching it. Liked it quite a bit, nice shadowrun style setting and interested in exploring more of the world. Hopefully they will get enough views to greenlight a second movie installment.
    They have already green-lit a sequel

It was pretty good.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/