Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Episode 9: Should Vader/Anakin appear? Spoilers

While the old post-ROTJ EU novels pretty much wrote out the force ghosts right away (by having them sort of pass to an even higher plane of existence) in Heir to The Empire, the sequel trilogy has kind of had two....

1) Obi-Wan's young and old voice in Rey's vision ("Rey, these are your first steps") with new dialogue by Ewan Mcgregor.

2) Of course, Yoda showing up and able to actually have some impact on the physical world.

Some people think we might get a Luke force ghost in IX as well, but what about Anakin/Vader? During one stage of TFA this was apparently considered, as there's some concept artwork depicting a sort of half-Anakin/half-Vader ghost (something also used in the "Legacy" comics). Although many disliked Hayden in the PT of course, having him could work thematically and tie the three trilogies together, maybe having him appear to Kylo Ren or something (maybe perhaps helping him back into the light?) or even hanging out with Luke.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think it's a foregone conclusion that we'll see both. I mean, at this point it feels like the only way to truly reach Ben (Solo) is for Kylo's deity to flat-out tell him he's got it all wrong.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Extraordinary Member

I also feel something like this should happen. I'm still holding out hope that false visions of Vader were the way that Snoke poisoned Ben's mind: it would totally fit Kylo's praying to Vader's helmet and asking to be shown something, and artificial schizophrenia would help explain some of Kylo's mental issues.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I also feel something like this should happen. I'm still holding out hope that false visions of Vader were the way that Snoke poisoned Ben's mind: it would totally fit Kylo's praying to Vader's helmet and asking to be shown something, and artificial schizophrenia would help explain some of Kylo's mental issues.
    Yes...precisely WHY is Kylo so fixated on Vader, and think so reverently of him? Much of what he would have known about Vader would have come from Leia, Han, and Luke, and while Luke might have provided a balanced view, Leia and Han were unlikely to have many kind things to say about Vader.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I whant Vader back as the main villain of ep 9 but not as a ghost.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I would personally like to see Anakin meet his daughter

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I would personally like to see Anakin meet his daughter
    He’s met and talked with her quite a few times in the OT, didn’t he?

iMan 42s

You know what I would like? I would like Anakin to actually show up in the film but nobody really knows it's him until he reveals himself. He gets close to Kylo Ren as his new second in command slowly revealing information about Vader to him and then, its revealed he is Anakin and becomes Vader. Kylo Ren could see him as a friend, his grandfather, his idol, and then finally gain context for Vader and that it was a horrible string of manipulations and awful moments that led to Vader's creation, not unlike what led to Kylo Ren.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I actually think Kylo Ren's fascination with Darth Vader may have ended in The Last Jedi or at least he is no longer trying to be just like him anymore. When he violently destroyed his Knights of Ren helmet after being ridiculed by Snoke, I think that was the end of him being a wannabe Vader. After that, I think he was on a new path, one in which he quickly surpassed Vader (and Snoke, for that matter).

If there's going to be any Force ghost in Episode IX, it'll likely be just Luke, IMO, and he'll be there for Rey, not Kylo.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Honestly since Vader is my favorite character in all of Star Wars mythology I want him no where near episode 9. Based on how the last Jedi treated Luke I don't want them messing with Vader at all. Vader's Story had the perfect ending in Return of the Jedi and given the way the new trilogy has basically completely ruined a lot of the endings for original trilogy characters, I am afraid of what Episode 9 would do. I don't really hate the new trilogy and think that Finn and Rey are good characters on their own but I have lost any confidence I had with Disney's ability to handle original trilogy characters in their new episodes. I am completely happy with Vader showing up in the anthology movies that take place because they are restricted by the continuity of the original trilogy but anything that takes place after Return of the Jedi should be Vader free.
    Last edited by regg215; 12-26-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Unless people are expecting Anakin to have a post-life struggle with the dark side, I'm not sure why the possibility of Vader returning would even be a concern.
    Conn Seanery

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Unless people are expecting Anakin to have a post-life struggle with the dark side, I'm not sure why the possibility of Vader returning would even be a concern.
    While I completely get what you are saying, I never thought it would be possible for a movie to make me actively dislike Luke Skywalker and yet somehow this movie achieved that. Having waited for pretty much my entire life waiting for a movie to show the next chapter of luke skywalker, this movie did the impossible and made me wish he had never returned to screen (although Mark hamill did a great job with what he was given). After seeing that I have zero desire to have disney touch Vader's story at all, I am not sure what they could possibly do with Vader that could ruin it but what they did with Luke makes me want them to stay away from anything to do with Vader's story after return of the Jedi
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Darth Vader is DEAD. Anakin Skywalker might return in some form, but not Darth Vader. Jedi who have attained a certain level of enlightenment live on as Force Ghosts, but Sith do not.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Maybe have Vader come back as the evil part of Anakins soul givein a froam by the dark side like evil buu or pinhead in hellraser 3

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Maybe have Vader come back as the evil part of Anakins soul givein a froam by the dark side like evil buu or pinhead in hellraser 3
    I think an actual story development with dark vs. light struggles in the afterlife would kind of ruin the idea of force ghosts (as would multiple ghost versions of the same person), I can't see them going there.

At worst I could see Kylo trying (and failing) to clone a new Vader. Snoke did brag about having Skywalker blood at his disposal.
    Conn Seanery