Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Sort of. One thing that got Bob Harras fired as Marvel EiC is that the X-Men books, while still selling well, kept going down in sales and saw no boost from the X-Men movie, partly because the books were so dense and hard for new readers to understand (but mostly because they weren't very good). When Joe Quesada came in he was under orders to make the X-Men comics more accessible to people who had seen the movies but not the comics, and so we got the X-Men dressing more like in the movies, fewer crossovers, Morrison's New X-Men as the flagship, etc.
    So that's why this franchise has issues with black males and Storm being background fodder for the most part?

So your point is that the X-Men movies didn't bring new readers at all?
    Here is the issue-

Someone who watches the movies and get interested is going to go after trades or whatever is in the public library. Looking at you Simpsons, TMNT, Transformers, Dr Who, Bob's Burgers and soon Image & Valiant.

Now when we get to Marvel and DC-we NOW have a bigger issue.

Take Static Shock. You go to the library-looking for stuff with them as leads or at all.
    There is NONE for Static. What little he had is OOP and costs anywhere from $50-200 online to buy.

Take Justice League with John Stewart.
    When that cartoon started he was in a wheelchair and powerless. His only solo is done by a guy now in jail.

Take Black Lightning on the CW-a LOT of folks only watch that show for his daughters. Who have been MIA in comics for now 9 years.

I can't even try to get new readers if the movies and shows have folks in them that are MIA in comics or so LOW on the editorial scale that they have nothing.

Of the folks who did ANYTHING of value in those movies-how many did the same in the comics?

You see Marvel is trying to get stuff with Shrui & Doras same with all of the GOTG members.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    The more I think about this the more doing Dark Phoenix in the MCU would be a waste of time. The money is in doing an MCU AvX... with a resurrected Jean in the place of Hope Summers.

The threat of Phoenix is the only way to outdo the buildup of the Infinity stones and Thanos.
    They could merge the Dark Phoenix and AvX storylines perfectly for a big MCU crossover... The idea of Avengers trying to stop the Phoenix and the X-Men for it, just like the premise of the original AvX, except that everything else on the story it's actually based on the Dark Phoenix Saga. The Guardians could even be on the Starjammers role. Plus, it would have a lot of buildup throughout the X-Men movies instead of being done instantly after Jean is introduced lol.

The more I think about this the more doing Dark Phoenix in the MCU would be a waste of time. The money is in doing an MCU AvX... with a resurrected Jean in the place of Hope Summers.

The threat of Phoenix is the only way to outdo the buildup of the Infinity stones and Thanos.
    Ehhh. I don't think the Phoenix holds a candle to the Infinity Gauntlet. I also don't think the Avengers are going to be relevant for much longer, so repositioning the X-Men/FF as the preeminent teams makes more sense. The Avengers cast are getting old and their contracts will be up soon. I think building up the X-Men as the next big thing would be better, the FF can take over for the cosmic/funny side of things now the GotG is in trouble. I think Galactus or a better Apocalypse/the Celestials down the line would be better as the next tentpole baddie for the MCU to work towards(slowly) for the next decade. Phoenix is just a really cool twist in Jean's development as a character. Doing the Claremont arc justice would make for a great couple of films, but I don't think they need to position it as a "Boss" like Thanos was for all these years.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Ehhh. I don't think the Phoenix holds a candle to the Infinity Gauntlet. I also don't think the Avengers are going to be relevant for much longer, so repositioning the X-Men/FF as the preeminent teams makes more sense. The Avengers cast are getting old and their contracts will be up soon. I think building up the X-Men as the next big thing would be better, the FF can take over for the cosmic/funny side of things now the GotG is in trouble. I think Galactus or a better Apocalypse/the Celestials down the line would be better as the next tentpole baddie for the MCU to work towards(slowly) for the next decade. Phoenix is just a really cool twist in Jean's development as a character. Doing the Claremont arc justice would make for a great couple of films, but I don't think they need to position it as a "Boss" like Thanos was for all these years.

I see you're already planning for X-MEN taking over the MCU
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Niffleheim

the foxmen really stoked my x-hate for so long now that i hope with this deal my hate for their unfairness will be purged. i'm sure disney will be fair in giving every character their moments to shine and not just a selective few.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Most of the big Avengers will be gone by the time the X-men are established to do that (as thats not something you do early on). Not sure if it would be worth doing with the B-team whom will be more prominent going forward

And if they were to do AvX, it wouldnt be a riff of the comics. Hope's role wouldnt make sense in the MCU. Like Captain America: Civil War, it would only be AvX in name only. The MCU doesnt have the foundation to set up the comic story
    I'm assuming Captain Marvel will be dramatically anti-mutant by the end of her sequel, and the Avengers will include a ton of CGI supertars like She-Hulk and Ghost Rider to complement their growing roster.

And anyway, what was the general conceit of AvX beyond the initial premise of Avenger and X-Men matchups? How much did Infinity War resemble Infinity Gauntlet? How much did Civil War? How much is entirely new content to serve the universal narrative?

Hope's role, almost always, is to be the MacGuffin. In AvX, the X-Men had her, the Avengers wanted her. A Jamaica Bay Jean Grey would serve the same role, as well as give credit to her Doctor Manhattan-like potential. With Jean's return, you establish her threat, her potential, and two sides that would fight over her.

The best tentpole villain would be Doom... but that's another conversation.

As cool and as "important" the Phoenix Saga was, I feel like the X-Men's best and most original contribution to the superhero pantheon is Storm. If the Disney MCU isn't going to capitalize on the potential of her as a leader in favor of a vanilla tragic love story we've all seen before, they're creating another Halle and Shipp. START with Storm desperately trying to hold the X-Men and the school together in the wake of Dark Phoenix, and you'll have a heroine people will wrap around the block to see.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 07-27-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Attachment 68753
    RIP X-Men film series 1999 - 2019
    Make that 2018. There aren't gonna be any X-Movies in 2019.

I'm assuming Captain Marvel will be dramatically anti-mutant by the end of her sequel, and the Avengers will include a ton of CGI supertars like She-Hulk and Ghost Rider to complement their growing roster.

And anyway, what was the general conceit of AvX beyond the initial premise of Avenger and X-Men matchups? How much did Infinity War resemble Infinity Gauntlet? How much did Civil War? How much is entirely new content to serve the universal narrative?

Hope's role, almost always, is to be the MacGuffin. In AvX, the X-Men had her, the Avengers wanted her. A Jamaica Bay Jean Grey would serve the same role, as well as give credit to her Doctor Manhattan-like potential. With Jean's return, you establish her threat, her potential, and two sides that would fight over her.
    IW surprisingly resembles IG quite a bit with actual pages ripped off. Obviously they've had to made changes due to not having the rights to certain characters (Silver Surfer for example).

CW? Barely resembled the comic version. Age of Ultron was nothing like the comic one

I think you misunderstood me about Hope. Her role was as mutant messiah that would save mutantkind from being an extinct species after HoM wiped them out. We had years worth of build up leading into AvX from HoM to Messiah Complex to Messiah War to Second Coming to AvX. Several big stories to get us to that point. Mutantkind isnt even established in the MCU and it wont be at the large numbers they were which made HoM so powerful. MCU isnt going to depower a bunch of mutants right off the bat. It just doesnt make sense. Thats why I say the MCU doesnt have the foundation to tell AvX. Hope doesnt make sense and swapping her out for Jean doesnt work for that. An AvX story would need to have them fighting over something else. The story has to be completely different. Alot of the big charcaters like Captain America and Iron Man likely wont be around for this anyawy.

Niffleheim

Feige will be sprinkling mutants into movies before making an X-Men movies but this news today increases the likelihood of a Storm Cameo in BP2 and Rogue as a villain in Captain Marvel 2

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Make that 2018. There aren't gonna be any X-Movies in 2019.
    wasn't Deadpool final claimed and now categorized as an X-Movie?

IW surprisingly resembles IG quite a bit with actual pages ripped off. Obviously they've had to made changes due to not having the rights to certain characters (Silver Surfer for example).
    Oh please. You're arguing for fundamental translation of the text, then the Soul stone would be green. Thanos ENTIRE motivation was changed in MCU's IW from the one that was in the Gauntlet.

I think you misunderstood me about Hope. Her role was as mutant messiah that would save mutantkind from being an extinct species after HoM wiped them out.
    And I think you misunderstood me about MacGuffins.

We had years worth of build up leading into AvX from HoM to Messiah Complex to Messiah War to Second Coming to AvX. Several big stories to get us to that point.
    Yes, that is what happened in the comics.

Mutantkind isnt even established in the MCU and it wont be at the large numbers they were which made HoM so powerful. MCU isnt going to depower a bunch of mutants right off the bat. It just doesnt make sense.
    Where did I mention HoM as something worth filming?

Thats why I say the MCU doesnt have the foundation to tell AvX.
    Okay. But the MCU is an entirely different world and story. You don't need all that just to tell a story where the Avengers and the X-Men fight over an incredibly dangerous and powerful mutant.

Hope doesnt make sense and swapping her out for Jean doesnt work for that.
    Yes, she does though. You don't need [Hope Summers] just to tell a story where the Avengers and the X-Men fight over an incredibly dangerous and powerful [Phoenix].

An AvX story would need to have them fighting over something else. The story has to be completely different.
    Right. A story where the Avengers and the X-Men fight over an incredibly dangerous and powerful Jean Grey.

Alot of the big charcaters like Captain America and Iron Man likely wont be around for this anyawy.
    We don't need em! Captain Marvel will rally the remaining Avengers against Storm's X-Men.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 07-27-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Yeah I don't agree with no AvX because Iron Man and them are done. Captain Marvel & Black Panther will take over I bet
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Oh please. You're arguing for fundamental translation of the text, then the Soul stone would be green. Thanos ENTIRE motivation was changed in MCU's IW from the one that was in the Gauntlet.

And I think you misunderstood me about MacGuffins.

Yes, that is what happened in the comics.

Where did I mention HoM as something worth filming?

Okay. But the MCU is an entirely different world and story. You don't need all that just to tell a story where the Avengers and the X-Men fight over an incredibly dangerous and powerful mutant.

Yes, she does though. You don't need [Hope Summers] just to tell a story where the Avengers and the X-Men fight over an incredibly dangerous and powerful [Phoenix].

Right. A story where the Avengers and the X-Men fight over an incredibly dangerous and powerful Jean Grey.

We don't need em! Captain Marvel will rally the remaining Avengers against Storm's X-Men.
    So you are pretty much agreeing with me in that the MCU will fundamentally have to be different and only be AvX in name alone. Thanks. That was my point from the beginning

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Yeah I don't agree with no AvX because Iron Man and them are done. Captain Marvel & Black Panther will take over I bet
    No one said an AvX film cant be done without them

MCU films are killing it at the box office, but their corresponding titles don't see the same success.
    There is a reason for that, which is the comics are nothing like the movies. I could elaborate but it would turn into a shitstorm.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    or Fantastic Four will be the main MCU team and instead of AvX it will be FvX