Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt LeBeau View Post
    the only 2 examples coming from Fox lol
    Marvel on the other hand: Guardians of the galaxy, Antman, Doctor Strange and soon to be added Black Panther, Captain Marvel.

Fox has yet to make Rogue a fan and general audience favourite after 17 years.
    Mystique was far less popular in 2000 then Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Antman or even Captain Marvel.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Mystique was far less popular in 2000 then Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Antman or even Captain Marvel.
    Hahahah no
    Cyclops was right

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

the only 2 examples coming from Fox lol
    Marvel on the other hand: Guardians of the galaxy, Antman, Doctor Strange and soon to be added Black Panther, Captain Marvel.

Fox has yet to make Rogue a fan and general audience favourite after 17 years.
    Actually, Doctor Strange was popular enough to have his own animated movie a decade ago. He’s also a very important entity in the Marvel universe. Carol Danvers and Black Panther are in the same boat.

Amazing Member

Storm, Jubilee, Kitty and Rogue having more development at Marvel will already be an improvement over Fox.
    Cyclops acting as the only leader another.
    and the list goes on.
    And Fox didn't set the bar too high in terms of representation. But I expect to see an ensemble cast for the MCU X-Movies so the need to raceswap main characters so we can have representation won't be necessary, because all the minorities X-characters will get the spotlight too. Also the mutant metaphor shouldn't be made more specific to a certain group, everybody should be able to relate to it.
    Last edited by Jirrenm; 12-24-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Mystique originated in Carol Danvers solo way back then, Doctor Strange was holding down solos back then too. Black Panther as said had an animated series and was up to vol 3 in the comics. Mystiqur had her first and only solo when X2 was coming out. None of these guys are the Guardians of the Galaxy level obscure, but Mystique definitely needed the movie boost the most.

While we are on the topic, how popular was Mystique before the movies? I was too young to read the comics but I sure as hell was captivated by her sinister... well, mystique in XTAS. Even though she was used sparingly on the show, she did make an impact on at least kid me and everytime a shapeshifter was hinted at, I would be hoping it was her instead of say, Morph.

But was she really that big a deal before the 00's? There was Sabretooth and Mystique so I'm guessing someone thought she was at least capable of co-leading a title.

I think it's obvious though that now Marvel will downplay her prominence and give her a rest after the amount of overexposure she enjoyed/suffered (depending on your take) during the Fox years. I think many people will be relieved but kinda sad as we never got to explore her relationships with Rogue, Destiny, Graydon Creed and Sabretooth (I wonder if we will get anything with Nightcrawler in Dark Phoenix).

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoletta View Post
    And Fox didn't set the bar too high in terms of representation. But I expect to see an ensemble cast for the MCU X-Movies so the need to raceswap main characters so we can have representation won't be necessary, because all the minorities X-characters will get the spotlight too. Also the mutant metaphor shouldn't be made more specific to a certain group, everybody should be able to relate to it.
    Would it make much of a difference if say, Cyclops is any other race is my question. Also, like Nick Fury before him, there's an alt universe precedence

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    While we are on the topic, how popular was Mystique before the movies? I was too young to read the comics but I sure as hell was captivated by her sinister... well, mystique in XTAS. Even though she was used sparingly on the show, she did make an impact on at least kid me and everytime a shapeshifter was hinted at, I would be hoping it was her instead of say, Morph.

But was she really that big a deal before the 00's? There was Sabretooth and Mystique so I'm guessing someone thought she was at least capable of co-leading a title.

I think it's obvious though that now Marvel will downplay her prominence and give her a rest after the amount of overexposure she enjoyed/suffered (depending on your take) during the Fox years. I think many people will be relieved but kinda sad as we never got to explore her relationships with Rogue, Destiny, Graydon Creed and Sabretooth (I wonder if we will get anything with Nightcrawler in Dark Phoenix).
    She was wellknown given that the comics she regularly in were the most popular at the time but she didn't get stints on the X-Men like Sabretooth did, or have heroic AoA counterparts running around nor was she cashcow Wolverine's greatest nemesis. Sabretooth was the far bigger name on that title.

Would it make much of a difference if say, Cyclops is any other race is my question. Also, like Nick Fury before him, there's an alt universe precedence

SLJ made a deal that they can use his likeness only if he gets to play the character on screen, it's really not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Josh Brolin being Thanos doesn't really mean much because when Inhumans were being considered for a film Vin Diesel wanted to be Blackbolt when he was already Groot. Thanos being CGI gives JB an option to play a live action character in the MCU.
    And he is appearing in a film that precedes another film showing the blossoming romance between his dad and possible mom in their youth. Fox's plan had to be to establish Brolin's Cable as Sheridanclops and Turner Jean's son and it will most probably happen in the movies before the deal is even finalized (reportedly still 18 months away). So unless Sheridan and Turner (or Marsden and Janssen) make it into the MCU as well, Cable's heritage in the MCU is already screwed with totally different actors playing totally different versions of his parents.

So if they are planning to recast the main X-Men, might as well have Cable go the Rachel route and have him be an alternate universe child of Jott (Foxverse). Which allows the MCU versions of Scott and Jean to be any race.

Mystique originated in Carol Danvers solo way back then, Doctor Strange was holding down solos back then too. Black Panther as said had an animated series and was up to vol 3 in the comics. Mystiqur had her first and only solo when X2 was coming out. None of these guys are the Guardians of the Galaxy level obscure, but Mystique definitely needed the movie boost the most.
    They were also popular enough to appear as playable characters in Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

SLJ made a deal that they can use his likeness only if he gets to play the character on screen...
    Eh, where did you pull that from? A simple Google search shows a quote from Mark Millar saying otherwise:

"Sam is famously the coolest man alive, and both myself and artist Bryan Hitch just liberally used him without asking any kind of permission. You have to remember, this was 2001 when we were putting this together. The idea that this might become a movie seemed preposterous, as Marvel was just climbing out of bankruptcy at the time."
    https://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-...son-71136.html

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    They were also popular enough to appear as playable characters in Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
    Mystique was in X-MEN Legends II (PC) & X-MEN Mutant Academy Series. She's appeared in alot of X-MEN games actually and all the animated series except Pryde & Anime.

Mystique is definitely a known VILLAIN.
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

I don't think they'll downplay her so much as they're more likely to re-emphasize her as a villain and antagonist.

I also imagine they'll go for something different from her X-Films looks.
    Eh, where did you pull that from? A simple Google search shows a quote from Mark Millar saying otherwise:

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-...son-71136.html
    I could've sworn that there was some kind of interview where they mentioned Jackson wanted to play Ultimate Fury if they ever wanted him in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Mystique was in X-MEN Legends II (PC) & X-MEN Mutant Academy Series. She's appeared in alot of X-MEN games actually and all the animated series except Pryde & Anime.

Mystique is definitely a known VILLAIN.
    Difference is that those games came out after the movies. Ultimate Allience came out two years before the MCU started.