Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Six Month Spoiler Embargo: Let's Talk Marvel Unlimited!

There was some discussion in another thread about a place for people who read various series through Marvel Unlimited to discuss six month old comics. Reviews, discussion, whatever. Hey, if you just read them, they're new to you!

So, in this thread, let's pretend it's six months ago. We've just seen the end of Battle of the Atom, the Ultimate Universe is heading into Cataclysm, and Infinity is in full swing. No spoilers for anything past the Marvel Unlimited release window. Cool? Cool.

Personally, Cataclysm is the event that's interesting me right now. I'd been out of the Ultimate U for a few years, but I caught up on Ultimate Spider-Man (love the new team concept) and I followed the Hunger mini-series (mostly for Galactus). I'm curious to see how the UU will get out of the Galactus mess, given how scaled-up the big guy is after Hunger.

Good idea! My top five MU series at the minute are:

Avengers Arena - good concept pulled off well
    All-New X-Men/Uncanny X-Men (although wasn't overly impressed with Battle of the Atom - and extended time travel gets my inner continuity freak quite antsy)
    Superior Spider-Man - not that into the art I have to say but it's some solid old-school storytelling
    Deadpool - never been a fan but really enjoying the Marvel Now re-launch. The latest arc has some great Shalvey art
    Thunderbolts - again not a natural bolts fan but since Soule came on this has been really great. Loving the cartoony art style in the infinity tie-in issues

Reading plenty of others (plus about 8 series in floppy). Most are average to good, although really not feeling Uncanny Avengers at all - I'm totally lost at this point
    Current top 5: She-Hulk, Daredevil, Velvet, Lazarus, Adventures of Superman

I'm reading Avengers A.I., Its only up to #4 on Unlimited

Its okay so far

All-New Member

Let's see. So glad someone actually made this!

Books I read this week:

HAWKEYE #14--Brilliant as always. I was worried I wouldn't be into these Wu issues, but... I am. I don't know why I doubted.
    INFINITY/AVENGERS--This is out of order! They're missing an issue of NEW AVENGERS that precedes INFINITY #5, so I had to skip these for now. Which sucks, since I've been adoring Infinity (that Thor bit a couple weeks back? Gorgeous.)
    UNCANNY AVENGERS #13--Yeah, I still really like this comic, mostly for Acuna. I totally get how it's hard to follow in monthly format, but I laughed my ass off at hearing-impaired Cap, dumb joke though it was. Remender's cast management is definitely way weaker than it was in X-Force, with Havok still frustratingly just sort of there.
    VENOM #42--Welp, I'm kinda glad Bunn's Venom is over. I stuck with it because I really like Flash Thompson from Remender's run, and it seemed to be carrying on a lot of those same plotlines. Alas, we aren't left with much resolution... to anything. I hope we get to come back to the Jack O'Lantern thing one day.
    BATTLE OF THE ATOM parts 9 and 10--Sigh. I thought I would like this so much more than I did, naysayers aside, but it's really the same problem as Avengers Vs. X-Men was--too many (individually good!) cooks spoiling a broth. Not that this didn't have some great moments--Quentin Quire meeting his future self was beautiful, and Esad Ribic draws a fine sentinel--but, I dunno. This seemed like it climaxed around part four or five. Looking forward to see where the Bendis X-Books go from here, though.
    YOUNG AVENGERS #11--I mean, I knew the Hiddlestonization of Loki was coming, but I expected more of a climax out of it. Rather, the end of the saga of Kid Loki takes a backseat to the conclusion of the saga of Bearded Noh Varr. That's cool, though. Instead it was just another nigh-perfect chapter of Young Avengers. And I was very interested in Noh Varr's beard.
    GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #8--Yes, I love Francavilla. But personally, this series clicks better for me with Sara Pichelli at the helm. Still, good to see Abigail Brand. Guardians isn't "Good Bendis" in the same way that ANXM is, but it's... it's "Good 'Bad Bendis'". I like it in an utterly forgettable way.
    UNCANNY X-FORCE #13--This comic is dumb. Why am I still reading this?
    SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN TEAM-UP #1--This was a fun story. Did anyone else actually read these books? I thought they were fun. Tepidly recommended.

Deadpool - Never really read this before, but I wanted to see the Shalvey/Bellaire art, and I have not been disappointed. Wowza.

Thunderbolts - I'd heard it got good when Soule started writing for it, and I'm having a lot of fun. It's very silly, but I'm enjoying Deadpool in it especially, and I'm looking forward to the team working on a mission from someone other than Frank Castle, as I find him the least interesting of the main cast. It hardly matters, though, because the whole book is so zany.

I've been meaning to catch up on Hawkeye - I've read half the second trade, but now there are more issues on MU beyond that.

Great idea for a thread, BTW!

All-New Member

Re: Thunderbolts, I find myself liking Deadpool in team books a lot. Remender wrote a great Deadpool in UXF. Deadpool is nice alongside things that... aren't Deadpool.

The current Deadpool run I like about as much as I think I could ever like a solo Deadpool comic--and yeah, that includes Kelly and McGuinness. But it's still just a mid-list book for me. I wouldn't be paying for it if it weren't for MU.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Call-out to everyone! Go read Superior foes of spider-man! Seriously, just read like only 2 issues if you're sceptical, you'll love it
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by cuttlefish View Post
    Deadpool - Never really read this before, but I wanted to see the Shalvey/Bellaire art, and I have not been disappointed. Wowza.
    I'm just starting out on it, too. I ignored Deadpool during Daniel Way's run, but I've been following the current series on Unlimited. It's solid stuff. The comedy/drama balance is hard to get right, but Duggan and Posehn are hitting it right on the head. I think we still have an issue or so to go on the North Korea/Weapon Plus, but it's been a highlight.

Let's see, current-on-MU series I'm reading:

Mighty Avengers (I started buying it with issue 8 after reading the Blue Marvel mini, but I'm waiting on the earlier issues)
    Young Avengers
    Avengers Assemble
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Fearless Defenders
    FF
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man
    A+X

What are people's thoughts about Infinity? I'm not really finding that interesting, TBH. I think Mighty Avengers is the best thing coming out of it.

I'm also liking the updated Android app. It seems a lot more stable so far, and requires less jumping around between views. I'm still getting the hang of how to move around a zoomed-in page without scrolling to the next page, though.

All-New Member

I love Infinity and am generally in the tank for Hickman, but I do have problems with it.

Mainly that Thanos is an incredibly generic villain in it. I'm cool with the Builders just being a catalyst to bring all the wacky space kings together, but Thanos should never just be Big Bad X, and given that his side of Infinity is the earthbound conflict it should feel a bit more personal. Dustin Weaver, who's the weakest of the artists on this book by far, really undersold the Thanos/Black Bolt fight. Opeña would have killed it on that.

That said, Hickman's worldbuilding is incredibly on point, as it tends to be. There's no other writer I would trust to just write Supremor, Ronan, J'Son of Spartax, Gladiator, Super-Skrull and Captain America just whining at each other for twenty pages. Or to write characters named Corvus Glaive and Proxima Midnight. How great is that?

Basically this is the only modern Marvel event that, baseline, just works for me. We'll see how it ends.

I'm excited for Mighty Avengers to stop having Greg Land, obvs.

Guys you have to read Aaron's Thor. It's truly epic stuff. And beautiful Essad Ribic art too.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eamo71 View Post
    Guys you have to read Aaron's Thor. It's truly epic stuff. And beautiful Essad Ribic art too.
    It's amazing when Ribic's on it (the issues without him are quite a bit weaker)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Read the first six issues of Cornell's Wolverine and thus far have been underwhelmed. Loved his Capt, Britain work but this is... ok. Nice art by Alan Davis but I prefer Paul Neary inking him. So, does this series take off at all?
    I will finish what's available on MU and move on to Gillen's Journey Into Mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    It's amazing when Ribic's on it (the issues without him are quite a bit weaker)
    I second that - although the issue 17 fill-in had some very interesting Euro-style art.

Posted on the other MU thread but going to stick with this one here on in. Currently reading a lot of up to date series - most X-books, the Spidey line and some others (tend to pick up avengers titles in floppies although dropped several recently so will be back on them via MU shortly).

Catching up on X-Factor volume 2 (I think) at the moment and it is ace

Quote Originally Posted by spenny View Post
    I second that - although the issue 17 fill-in had some very interesting Euro-style art.

Posted on the other MU thread but going to stick with this one here on in. Currently reading a lot of up to date series - most X-books, the Spidey line and some others (tend to pick up avengers titles in floppies although dropped several recently so will be back on them via MU shortly).

Catching up on X-Factor volume 2 (I think) at the moment and it is ace
    Moderators - can we merge the two MU threads into one lovely digital mess? Is that even possible?