Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Dan is notorious for saying Gerry Conway's game-changing run would have been savaged more so in the age of social media than even the frenized storm it endured back in the 70s.
    It's true. Conway has said that all the hate mail he received at the time was what drove him off the book. Imagine how bad it would have been with Twitter and so on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It's true. Conway has said that all the hate mail he received at the time was what drove him off the book. Imagine how bad it would have been with Twitter and so on.
    I definitely don't doubt it.

I think his characterization for certain characters, particularly Mary Jane and Felicia, will probably not hold up as well looking back.

I also hope that, as far as this run proving "definitive" are concerned, Peter Parker being a semi-goofy buffoon with the maturity of someone half his age and who needs to constantly be teaming-up with people or getting bailed out by his supporting cast or Superhero buddies doesn't become what people's ideas of Spider-Man is (Although the goofy man-child is Marvel's current Modus Operandi for Spider-Man, so I guess it can't be helped).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Funny how Gerry Conway returned and even wrote a story of SPIDER- GWEN during the events of Spider-verse.

He's written some great stories, a few of which are among my favorites ever.

I liked it his run - and occasionally loved it - with some reservations regarding 1) big events kinda sloppy at times and 2) rushed closing arcs and flubbing the wrap ups etc

He writes a fun take on the character and his world. I think he'll be remembered for that.

He doesn't do deep. He's not really about subtle nuances or lasting character relationships and developments.

His style is cartoony: Big. Bold. Fun. Kinda shallow. Never got the feels much from his stories or his take on the characters. But surprising and fun. That's how I'll remember his whole run.

I'm definitely looking forward to a writer that pull off a style that can do deep though. Slott would never write something like Kraven's Last Hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post

I liked it his run - and occasionally loved it - with some reservations regarding 1) big events kinda sloppy at times and 2) rushed closing arcs and flubbing the wrap ups etc

He writes a fun take on the character and his world. I think he'll be remembered for that.

He doesn't do deep. He's not really about subtle nuances or lasting character relationships and developments.

His style is cartoony: Big. Bold. Fun. Kinda shallow. Never got the feels much from his stories or his take on the characters. But surprising and fun. That's how I'll remember his whole run.

I'm definitely looking forward to a writer that pull off a style that can do deep though. Slott would never write something like Kraven's Last Hunt.
    pretty much summed up my feels on the topic

on the man-child point; it might be around to stay, no matter who writes peter. the trope seems to have trended in modern entertainment (arrested development, brooklyn 99, big bang theory, parks and rec, will ferrell, russell brand, deadpool, jimmy fallon... even the dr in dr who is an ancient man child at times)
    Last edited by boots; 12-25-2017 at 10:50 PM.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Funny how Gerry Conway returned and even wrote a story of SPIDER- GWEN during the events of Spider-verse.
    I still don't know what caused him to depart Renew Your Vows. There's been stories of him being fired over the X-Men issues, but nothing substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    even the dr in dr who is an ancient man child at times)
    And now he's a "brilliant" woman child.

standing corrected
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Speaking of Doctor Who, Steven Moffat, who is one of Dan's idols, stood down as showrunner at the end of the Christmas special. He, like Dan, leaves behind a seminal, if mixed, legacy. I think they'll be some comparisons between them given their longevity (Moffat lasted more than ten years as a contributor, Dan's approaching ten now)

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    pretty much summed up my feels on the topic

on the man-child point; it might be around to stay, no matter who writes peter. the trope seems to have trended in modern entertainment (arrested development, brooklyn 99, big bang theory, parks and rec, will ferrell, russell brand, deadpool, jimmy fallon... even the dr in dr who is an ancient man child at times)
    The character who is the closest thing to a male lead in Brooklyn 99 is engaged. And given that the producers previous show was Parks and Rec, and characters also married in that one, I think we'll see a wedding happen in B99.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post

This is a great summary of Slott's run.

I personally have major problems with a lot of what Slott did (both with the book itself and his conduct outside it), but he did write some great Spidey tales and -for better or worse- tried to explore new territory with the character.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gridde View Post
    (both with the book itself and his conduct outside it)
    100% serious: Couldn't give a flying fig about those concerned w/ my "conduct outside it".

I've been polite, open, and VERY generous with my time with those who have been polite to me.
    And I've been snarky with those who have been rude-- usually those who've been rude while under one, if not two, or even a dozen different online screen names.

I'd love to see how those who have been upset with my "conduct" would have done if they had faced one tenth of the hostility, rudeness, and-- in some cases-- death threats that I've received for my portrayal of a fictional character.

Mighty Member

Gonna miss Slott's run on Spider-Man (the character). I ignored Slott's run pre-Superior because I was still not over the clone-era of the 90s. (2 years of garbage was enough to deter me at a pavlovian level, regardless of who was writing Spider-Man comics.) A friend of mine bought in for Superior for train-wreck value.....and after a few months, conceded that it was good. (And, it was.)

So, on a personal level, I credit Slott for getting me to read Spider-Man again.

As for Slott's poking at fans, it is hard to complain about that. Some elements of the fandom are asking for it. (And, I would like to say "thanks" to Slott for answering one of my questions a while back.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I still don't know what caused him to depart Renew Your Vows. There's been stories of him being fired over the X-Men issues, but nothing substantial.

Who has been spreading the rumors, and what is the basis for it?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Personally, there were parts I liked and parts I didn’t like. My overall complaint (aside from Superior; I just disliked that concept) was that good characters just vanished. I’d love to find out what happened to the Horizon Labs crew (Grady, Bella, and Uatu) and Anna Maria. I also wish Parker Industries had only been downsized, not obliterated. These characters and aspects I liked, and I wish there had been more from them.

I especially miss Grady, as “I Destroyed Tomorrow” was an awesome plot that I really enjoyed.