Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Another fun issue.

Yeah, it was a bit light-weight compared to many other Bat-books, but then again, I hate the writing in most other Bat-books these days.

I don't really appreciate the reality distortion field Harley brings with her from her solo series when she enters other characters' comics.

Waller lets a homicidal sociopath out of prison for a day for "good behavior." (Yeah, sure, why not?) She immediately attempts murder, not only on her intended target, but a lot of innocent people. Mass murder, using a bioweapon of mass destruction. Batgirl and her friends treat it as an opportunity for fun, "girl time" - selfies and bad puns.

After they defeat Harley and get the antidote, Batgirl does not apprehend Harley, or hand her over the Bruce Gordon, or the Department of Homeland Security. She lets her wander off back to Waller - although who knows what she'll do on the way back, or whether she was telling the truth about Waller letting her out in the first place. And it's not like Waller is doing a good job of preventing Harley from causing trouble. (Attempted mass murder, remember.)

"Let's do it again next year."

Harley's presence makes the other characters seem like doofuses who don't take anything seriously. I know the tone of Batgirl is a little lighter than most of the other Bat-books, but this kind of featherweight aren't-killer-supervillains-funny tone isn't what I buy the comic for. Maybe it works in Harley Quinn or Deadpool, but I don't go looking for those very often.

(I also think Harley is a terrible drag on Poison Ivy, Ivy being a character with some depth and gravitas which is mean to be taken more seriously. Give her a better girlfriend, I say.)

But that's just me. YMMV. If you enjoyed it, more power to you.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    I don't really appreciate the reality distortion field Harley brings with her from her solo series when she enters other characters' comics.

Waller lets a homicidal sociopath out of prison for a day for "good behavior." (Yeah, sure, why not?)
    Do we "know" if Waller actually did that, or if maybe Harley stretched the truth a little?
    (Besides, I always thought Waller doesn't seem to play by most conventional rules, so who knows what she would allow within certain limits?)

She immediately attempts murder, not only on her intended target, but a lot of innocent people. Mass murder, using a bioweapon of mass destruction.
    Again, do we know if that's what would have happened, or if maybe Harley concocted something that would do no worse than worry people and possibly be no worse make them a little ill / nauseous for awhile?

Batgirl and her friends treat it as an opportunity for fun, "girl time" - selfies and bad puns.
    Well, that didn't take much time, and the whole scenario was a tad bizarre.

After they defeat Harley and get the antidote, Batgirl does not apprehend Harley, or hand her over the Bruce Gordon, or the Department of Homeland Security. She lets her wander off back to Waller - although who knows what she'll do on the way back, or whether she was telling the truth about Waller letting her out in the first place.
    Even you agree that Waller may not have really known the extent of Harley's time-off during the holiday. Waller may have just given them down time and expected the Squad members to stay put (or at least out of trouble).
    As for not stopping Harley, there was that little bit of still needing to get everyone (including Batgirl) to use the "antidote" (just in case the threat of the poison was legit). And since Harley already had a good head start (thanks to a parachute escape from a tall building), how quick/easy would it have been for Batgirl to apprehend her anyway? (It's not like she showed up on her Batcycle so she could follow her anyway.)

Harley's presence makes the other characters seem like doofuses who don't take anything seriously. I know the tone of Batgirl is a little lighter than most of the other Bat-books, but this kind of featherweight aren't-killer-supervillains-funny tone isn't what I buy the comic for. Maybe it works in Harley Quinn or Deadpool, but I don't go looking for those very often.

(I also think Harley is a terrible drag on Poison Ivy, Ivy being a character with some depth and gravitas which is mean to be taken more seriously. Give her a better girlfriend, I say.)

But that's just me. YMMV. If you enjoyed it, more power to you.
    This has been the only Bat-book I seem to enjoy these days.

If you prefer King's Batman or the other Bat-titles, well, good for you.