View Poll Results: Image or Dark Horse

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll

11 64.71%
  • Dark Horse

6 35.29%

Default Image or Dark Horse

Which company do you preter the most ?
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

I don't know how fair/accurate this may be since Image has its own, separate section in the Forum and Image fans may not necessarily visit the "Independents" section as much . . .

By the way, I voted for Dark Horse.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    Which company do you preter the most ?
    I have a tight budget and buy more Image than Dark Horse only because they often release Vol 1's at the 9.99 price point in trades. My favorite way to buy Image although I also buy their floppies from time to time. I like Dark Horse as well but much of their stuff is licensed which I don't follow and prefer their indies.

I only get Harrow County from Dark Horse (and was picking up Lady Killer until it concluded).

I buy books based on quality of story and art, not trade dress, branding or logos. That said, both Dark Horse and Image put out a lot of good books, but if I like a book, the publisher is irrelevant to me as to which is better. Creators might have a preference where they can get a better publishing deal, but as a reader, if it's a good comic, that's what I prefer regardless of publisher. I am currently getting a bunch of Image stuff in trade, and a handful of Dark Horse books as individual issues and a couple more in trade. I mostly prefer to buy in trade these days, but I still like to support my local shop and pick up a few things in individual issues as they come out (Motor Girl and Bug just wrapped so my pull list for individual issues right now is down to Sherlock Frankenstein from DH, Half Past Danger 2 from IDW, Mister Miracle and Future Quest Presents from DC). I pick up most of the Mignolaverse stuff, Harrow County, the Usagi Saga editions, and World of Moebius editions, etc. from DH in trade, plus catching up on Mind MGMT, and about a dozen series from Image in trade (Injection, Trees, Lazarus, Kill or Be Killed, Saga, Descender, etc. plus trades from other publishers like IDW and some European publishers, so all in all DH & Image are probably the bulk of what I pick up, with a handful of others, but I have no preference between the two.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Most of my small pull list is Image books. I think my only Dark Horse book is Ether, but that is just coincidence. I think they are both awesome, but I look at the book, not the publisher.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I used to have a lot of Dark Horse titles when they had Ghost, Barb Wire, and the various Star Wars titles & minis. But since the formers are on indefinite hiatus and the latter are all gone, I haven't bought any Dark Horse books in a couple of years. In comparison, Image has been recently bringing back a couple of my old faves (Witchblade and Cyberforce), and I do tend to pick up an occasional creator-owned mini from Image now and then...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

This is a close contest for me since 90% of what I buy these days comes from either Dark Horse or Image. The quality of their work consistently earns my interest and support. I'll cast my vote for Dark Horse on the grounds that they have published of a few of my long-time favorite characters such as Ghost and Hellboy.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

From the small sample who has bothered to cast a vote so far, at last check Image was leading Dark Horse by 2-to-1.

These are my 2 favourite publishers, so it's a tough choice. I find they're the best in terms of quality and in price of floppies/TPBs/HCs, so I'll base my vote on which publisher appears most often on my shelves. The winner is Image.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Of Image I have the Savage Dragon/Hellboy crossover. But I mainly buy Dark Horse, Flesk Publications, IDW (artist editions), plus I also have Kitchen Sink Press, Humanoids Associé, First!, DC, Marvel, Titan, Dargaud, Burlyman Ent. and some Archaia Ent. Off the top of my head, so I'll be omitting some others.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Image for the sheer variety of books. Dark Horse for Hellboy / B.P.R.D. I don't read any other dark horse titles.

Some weeks I'm all Dark Horse, others I'm all Image, and some weeks it's both.

I couldn't really pick one over the other.

Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar

For me, Image edges out Dark Horse... however I love that DH has an imprint that publishes (among other things) novels... M Press books