Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default "Nobody seems to get that ______ is awesome!"

Most of us have that comic character that we love, and that it seems that only we love. Was there ever a character that it seems crazy to you couldn't make the big time?

In responding to this one, try to refrain from harshly explaining why somebody's lovable loser is a waste of ink. If they're getting a mention, we already know that they're down. No point in kicking them too.

Although I have several candidates, my clear winner is The Atom! (version 2)

images.jpg

Sure, he's had multiple series, but they never seem to stick. He's got such cool visual possibilities, you'd think pencillers would be dying to work on him, and he's got plenty of options for stories as well.

He can do crime. He can do science fiction. He can do supervillains. He can do espionage. He can do counter-espionage. You can plug him in just about anywhere. He can do young adult issues stories.

Instead, no respect. Generally underutilized in the Justice League, he was judged so third-rate that DC once de-aged him so he could be retro-fit into The Teen Titans. For salt in the wound, the Arrow-verse retooled him as a pinch-hitter after they couldn't have Blue Beetle! sigh

I'll grant that he does need a better enemies list. But this is an underappreciated gem. However small.

Well, even if he wasn't their first choice, he still ended up as a beloved character on the TV show. The show wouldn't quite be the same without him. IMO.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Well, even if he wasn't their first choice, he still ended up as a beloved character on the TV show. The show wouldn't quite be the same without him. IMO.
    Not-Quite-Iron Man doesn't count.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Jack Knight. He's easily one of my favorite DC characters, and while he had his own book and it gets a lot of love most of the time, some fans still say "I don't get why fans like that book".

Jay Garrick. I love this guy. He's old school, with morals and ideals that mesh with my own. And it doesn't hurt that he has a cool power and was the very first Flash. Not Barry.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Although I have several candidates, my clear winner is The Atom! (version 2)
    I thoroughly enjoyed the last JLA arc that he appeared in. I always liked him, but didn't LOVE him. Same thing with Ant Man. I think DC should give characters like him their own book.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Jack Knight. He's easily one of my favorite DC characters, and while he had his own book and it gets a lot of love most of the time, some fans still say "I don't get why fans like that book".
    Really? I've never met anyone whose read Starman that doesn't at least like it.

BANNED

Generally underutilized in the Justice League, he was judged so third-rate that DC once de-aged him so he could be retro-fit into The Teen Titans.
    And the result was by far my favorite Teen Titans book and my favorite incarnation of Ray Palmer. He was fantastic in that series.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    And the result was by far my favorite Teen Titans book and my favorite incarnation of Ray Palmer. He was fantastic in that series.
    I regarded him as the best thing about that series, but couldn't get past the idea of him being sent down from The Majors to (what Wolfman called) The Justice Little League.

BANNED

I regarded him as the best thing about that series, but couldn't get past the idea of him being sent down from The Majors to (what Wolfman called) The Justice Little League.
    Ray acknowledged his annoyance at that fact himself, constantly bringing up how he was Justice League.

BANNED

For my own picks, looking at my top 10 DC characters, there are three that definitely qualify here. There are others in there that don't get the attention they deserve, but they're still quite popular and/or they're beloved by all those who do know them. As for the three:

Slobo: Second only to Cass herself for me, he's my second favorite superhero. Despite appearing in less than 20 issues, he managed to have more life and character than most of DC's stable. If DiDio and the writers of Lobo's book hadn't hated him, I think he could have grown a much larger fanbase outside of us Young Justice lovers.

Nauck.jpg

Argent: I do not understand why Toni Monetti was just abandoned. She was a constant in the Titans books for 6-7 years and then basically nothing but cameos. At least back then she was quite popular, but these days it has become a small cult base. She had a ton of potential for greatness, plenty of fantastic moments of characterization and development and a cool power.

argent 2.jpg

Catman: Secret Six is a book that thankfully gets the recognition is deserves. However, I still run into plenty of people who haven't read it who think that Thomas Blake is nothing but a joke, and that makes me pretty annoyed.

catman.jpg

Invincible Member

Millie the Model. Marvel made an attempt to bring her back a few years ago with Models Inc, but it was a really drab comic.

DC's teen comedy characters, Scooter, Binky, Debbie, etc: DC should totally be doing with them what Archie Comics is doing with revamping Archie and the gang.

Marvel's Western and Supernatural characters. They're doing Spirits of Vengeance right now which is a start, but they could have a whole line devoted to these characters for people who aren't into "The Avenging Spider-X" titles.

Songbird.

One of the most successful and longest-lasting redemption stories in comics, a cool costume and look, a great visual powerset, and an endearing personality.

And she's lucky to be out of limbo on the best of days.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Songbird.

One of the most successful and longest-lasting redemption stories in comics, a cool costume and look, a great visual powerset, and an endearing personality.

And she's lucky to be out of limbo on the best of days.
    I LOVED Thunderbolts!

I LOVED Thunderbolts!
    (Thumbs Up) .

BANNED

Oh yeah, this awesome group definitely belong here as well:

TEAM 13.jpg