Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Print the floppies on newsprint and charge $1.99 for them

DC should go back to printing its floppies on newsprint, and should drop its price to $1.99

But it should continue to print its collections on high-grade paper and hold those prices steady.

This would give the company a huge competitive advantage over Marvel. Obviously it would sell many more floppies, but it would also sell more collections, because more people would read the collected stories in floppies in the first place.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I think this is actually a good idea. Yeah the new paper is pretty, but it's expensive as Hell. Newsprint is cheap and even recyclable. It would cut costs for just about everyone.

There's actually an indie comic company that's already doing this. They're called Alterna Comics and their books are priced at $1.50.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

High prices are hurting comics sales, and this is probably the only way to make a dent in them.

I don't think anyone would object to it, and the people who want the stories on fancy paper could still get them that way.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-25-2017 at 09:32 AM.

BANNED

Of course they would first have to make a big investment to get printing presses that can actually deal with crap paper.

And everything would to have to be coloured twice. And it's not as if superdeluxe paper is that big of an expense anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Of course they would first have to make a big investment to get printing presses that can actually deal with crap paper.

And everything would to have to be coloured twice. And it's not as if superdeluxe paper is that big of an expense anyway.
    Alterna does it just fine and they're a much smaller company. Their printer is located right in the US, even. It's not that hard.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I think paying the writers and artists is the biggest expense. With paying the printers also a big part of the cost. I can't really see that high quality paper costs $1 more.
    And printing on both high and low quality paper would drive the printing costs up even more because the printers would need to set up for one type of paper. Then shut
    the line down and have to set up for the other type of paper. And most people that are collectors would want the best paper anyway so would there be that big of a market
    for people that want the cheap version?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Alterna does it just fine and they're a much smaller company. Their printer is located right in the US, even. It's not that hard.
    Maybe the bigger reason is Alterna doesn't pay their writers and artists as much. I am not familiar with them. Who are their biggest name writers and artists?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Maybe the bigger reason is Alterna doesn't pay their writers and artists as much. I am not familiar with them. Who are their biggest name writers and artists?
    I don't think they have any big names currently. They're a REALLY new company. They actually list the stores that are currently buying their products and it's not a long list.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I don't know how much Alterna pays, but I was surprised to learn that Image pays its writers just as much as DC and Marvel does. So considering how few copies the Image titles sell compared to DC and Marvel, I think that the pay for writers and artists is not a big part of the equation.

I also know that DC doesn't actually start losing money on a comic until it drops under 10K in sales, but they usually won't tolerate DCU sales of less than 20K.

I've seen some posts online stating that floppies use 50 pound paper, but i can't vouch for that.

Alterna is run by Peter Simeti, he's on Facebook and Twitter. I believe Alterna has been around for about 10 years. They're like Image, creator owned books.
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    You have been misinformed. Image has a radically different business model than Marvel and DC.

If the book does poorly, the creators may not see any money from it at all. If the book is a hit, they get money a Batman writer can only dream off. There is no such thing as a page rate for Image creators.

It's set up much differently but the pay ends up being about the same. If your comic doesn't sell, then DC and Marvel will fire you. Same outcome there.

But yes, if you create a big hit then the ownership really pays off.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-25-2017 at 11:30 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I prefer the look and feel of the old newsprint myself, but as it hasn't been the industry standard since the early 1990s, would either of the Big Two seriously consider taking that step backwards?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I prefer the look and feel of the old newsprint myself, but as it hasn't been the industry standard since the early 1990s, would either of the Big Two seriously consider taking that step backwards?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    If the difference is between a cover price of $1.99 vs $3.99, then the question is, would the readers see it as a step backward or forward? I think they'd see it as a big improvement. And they could still buy the collections on fancy paper.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    It's set up much differently but the pay ends up being about the same. If your comic doesn't sell, then DC and Marvel will fire you. Same outcome there.

But yes, if you create a big hit then the ownership really pays off.
    That's not quite how it works.
    And if you're comic doesn't sell, Marvel and DC generally cancel it and put you on another book.

Work-for-hire writers get their page rate and royalties. Their page rate doesn't get upped retroactively if they have a big hit (but they might be in a better negotiation position for their next project).

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    If the difference is between a cover price of $1.99 vs $3.99, then the question is, would the readers see it as a step backward or forward? I think they'd see it as a big improvement. And they could still buy the collections on fancy paper.
    The real reason for the difference between those cover prices is corporate greed.

Marvel and DC books cost that much because Marvel/DC fans will pay that much.
    If going back to newsprint made any real difference, Marvel would absolutely do it. This would not be reflected in their cover prices at all.
    Last edited by Carabas; 12-25-2017 at 11:47 AM.