Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BaneBreaker View Post
    Alterna is run by Peter Simeti, he's on Facebook and Twitter. I believe Alterna has been around for about 10 years. They're like Image, creator owned books.
    Huh! Well, they're new to ME, then.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    High prices are hurting comics sales, and this is probably the only way to make a dent in them.

I don't think anyone would object to it, and the people who want the stories on fancy paper could still get them that way.
    If the difference is between a cover price of $1.99 vs $3.99, then the question is, would the readers see it as a step backward or forward? I think they'd see it as a big improvement. And they could still buy the collections on fancy paper.
    Are you guessing that by changing to lesser paper stock DC could drop the cover prices by $2.00 without taking a significant $-loss?

Do you know what percentage of the price DC charges is based strictly on the paper used to print the comic book? (I don't know what it is.)

Do you also realize that back when DC use to charge $1.99 U.S. cover-price (back in maybe 2000?) the number of outside advertisers paying to run ads in comic books may have also been a part of the price formula?
    (How many outside companies buy ads in comic books these days?)

Yes, it would be nice to pay less, but what else would we have to give up besides paper quality to get that lower price?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Are you guessing that by changing to lesser paper stock DC could drop the cover prices by $2.00 without taking a significant $-loss?

Do you know what percentage of the price DC charges is based strictly on the paper used to print the comic book? (I don't know what it is.)

Do you also realize that back when DC use to charge $1.99 U.S. cover-price (back in maybe 2000?) the number of outside advertisers paying to run ads in comic books may have also been a part of the price formula?

Yes, it would be nice to pay less, but what else would we have to give up besides paper quality to get that lower price?
    They've been jacking up the prices since 2010 not because their expenses have been rising but because enough people were willing to cough up the money. You can blame that on the buyers. But you can't keep squeezing a shrinking market harder and harder. That business model won't work forever.

The costs of writers and artists are pretty negligible.

And what's been lost in outside ads has been made up for a zillionfold in television and film revenues.

Now if you want to figure the cost of 50 pound paper versus newsprint in comics, you can go ahead and do that. But based on what I see online, 50-pound paper is at least twice as expensive as newsprint.

But it's not just a matter of how much you can afford to cut the price. What really matters is, what will this do to Marvel?

I don't think it would be pretty for them.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-25-2017 at 12:38 PM.

They've been jacking up the prices since 2010 not because their expenses have been rising but because enough people were willing to cough up the money. You can blame that on the buyers. But you can't keep squeezing a shrinking market harder and harder. That business model won't work forever.

The costs of writers and artists are pretty negligible.

And what's been lost in outside ads has been made up for a zillionfold in television and film revenues.

Now if you want to figure the cost of 50 pound paper versus newsprint in comics, you can go ahead and do that. But based on what I see online, 50-pound paper is at least twice as expensive as newsprint.
    Have you presented your "brilliant idea" here to DC?
    Let us know what they tell you about actual costs and everything.

BANNED

Have you presented your "brilliant idea" here to DC?
    Let us know what they tell you about actual costs and everything.
    You were so quick on he draw that you replied before I finished that post. Go back and read it again.

When I suggested here that DC go to twice-monthly publishing, several people said that idea was stupid too.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-25-2017 at 12:40 PM.

You were so quick on he draw that you replied before I finished that post. Go back and read it again.

When I suggested here that DC go to twice-monthly publishing, several people said that idea was stupid too.
    Went back and read it again. Still doesn't make any difference.

As for twice-a-month publishing, the verdict is still out as to how long it will be effective for DC. Some titles have already gone from twice-a-month at $2.99 down to once-a-month at $3.99 cover price (Like Aquaman and Green Arrow).

And how much has DC been "jacking up" prices since 2010? They've been normally offering comic books for either $2.99 or $3.99 regularly since than based on page content and other factors.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I have a question which isn't exactly to do with the subject at hand, but is still related to: Does anyone happen to know if the cost of printing comics with more modern digital coloring is abundantly more expensive than printing more traditional, less detailed coloring?

BANNED

This. All this. Not to mention like some posters mentioned the printers used for current comics would have to be changed. And for what? A gamble that is unlikely to work. Not to mention the part of the reading base that would not want to have newspaper comics.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I like the idea of a lower price but if DC were to switch the paper to newsprint that would definitely keep me going back to buying floppies even if the cost ended up being lower. I'm extremely allergic to newsprint these days and it clogs up my nose so I can't breathe properly. If the purpose of this idea is to get more people to buy floppies, which is a good idea mind you, it would be an utter failure with me and maybe people who have that same allergy.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    This. All this. Not to mention like some posters mentioned the printers used for current comics would have to be changed. And for what? A gamble that is unlikely to work. Not to mention the part of the reading base that would not want to have newspaper comics.
    Yeah, I'm a part of that base that doesn't want them because I'm allergic to newsprint, an allergy that has only gotten worse over the years. I'm unlikely to change back from digital to floppies in that instance even if the price was cheaper because I will not mess with my health.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

If there was a perfect formula D C would not always be chasing Marvel's tail
    and Marvel would not be dragging and stumbling the last seven years

BANNED

They've been jacking up the prices since 2010 not because their expenses have been rising but because enough people were willing to cough up the money.
    Yes, indeed. So obviously making the books cheaper to produce will not make the books cheaper to buy. It will just increase the profit margin.

BANNED

This would deliver a crushing blow to Marvel. Who would keep buying Marvel's comics for $3.99 and $4.99 when they could buy DC's for $1.99? And even if Marvel then followed suit, DC could say they forced Marvel to stop hosing the readers on their prices.

BANNED

Who would keep buying Marvel's comics for $3.99 and $4.99 when they could buy DC's for $1.99?
    Pretty much EVERYBODY who pays $4-5 for 15 sheets of paper and two staples.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Pretty much EVERYBODY who pays $4-5 for 15 sheets of paper and two staples.
    And also pretty much ANYONE who prefers Marvel's characters to DC's. There are, after all, other reasons beyond price that factor into what comics people buy and plenty of Marvel's normal buyers would simply continue buying their books regardless. Hardcore Marvel fans aren't going to jump ship to DC simply because they have a lower price and I wouldn't want DC to count on that. I'm not even sure such a thing would attract new readers since its much easier, and not to mention free, to make your start into comics via trades at your local library or via Hoopla.