Incredible Member

Default Absolute Sandman - spine/binding question

So I only have the first volume of Absolute Sandman and want to get the rest. However, on a number of forums/sites (here, here and here, for example) people have mentioned that newer print runs have flat spines and glue binding (which isn't very good) whereas older print runs had round spines and sewn binding (this is the case with my volume 1). Can someone confirm this? All the posts I could find about the new bindings are by now about 4 years old. Has DC perhaps gone back to the round spines/sewn binding? Has anyone bought them in the last couple of years? I really don't have access to any physical stores to check the books out so I would have to just take a chance on one of the online shops. Any information is welcome. Thank you.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Wish I could help you, but all 4 of mine are first prints and they're sewn, with roundish spines. It's been a long time since I've come across a copy of any of them in a bookstore, so I wouldn't know if reprints are glued or not.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

All-New Member

Never came across an absolute with a glued binding nor have I ever seen a sandman absolute with a flat spine

Incredible Member

I got them all within the last year and a half. All sewn. People I think get confused when they see glue that connects the decorative strips. They see glue and assume its not sewn and post that on forums. I had one which was slighly tighter than the rest but if you looked hard it was still sewn.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    I got them all within the last year and a half. All sewn. People I think get confused when they see glue that connects the decorative strips. They see glue and assume its not sewn and post that on forums. I had one which was slighly tighter than the rest but if you looked hard it was still sewn.
    Thanks for the info. Also, all round spines?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Thanks for the info. Also, all round spines?
    All rounded. I have seen them all recently in stores rounded as well.

It was more an issue with volume 2. Mine has a flat spine and is falling apart. Definitely not a glued binding though...just poorly constructed compared to the others.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    It was more an issue with volume 2. Mine has a flat spine and is falling apart. Definitely not a glued binding though...just poorly constructed compared to the others.
    Damn, When did you buy it? As I understand it, the flat spine one was released around 2011.
    Last edited by Shaggy; 12-27-2017 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Damn, When did you buy it? As I understand it, the flat spine one was released around 2011.
    I got it second hand. They fixed it with subsequent printings I'm pretty sure.