View Poll Results: Do you want less-expensive floppies?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • $1.99

41 57.75%
  • $3.99

23 32.39%
  • Don't know/No opinion

7 9.86%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Goodness. I thought my 10-15 bucks a week was excessive!
    I think I was trying to make up for only being able to buy one or two issues a week when I was a kid...

My pull-list was ridiculous (and, perhaps, there was a depressive element in there, too, so it became my area of self-indulgence rather than something like drinking or gambling etc).

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Since the Advent of the trade market, what a decade ago? I don't see any reason that floppies should continue to have glossy paper.

If you lower the bar to entry, more people will buy the books, that's the thinking anyway
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    I think I was trying to make up for only being able to buy one or two issues a week when I was a kid...
    yeah I can relate to this. Only being able to buy few issues a week and always wishing you could see the wider universe. Or having to go back later and buy those issues Etc.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    Since the Advent of the trade market, what a decade ago? I don't see any reason that floppies should continue to have glossy paper.

If you lower the bar to entry, more people will buy the books, that's the thinking anyway
    I agree with you.

Affordability is a key thing - parents are not keen on spending £3 on a 22 page comicbook for their kid, especially when there's no tangible 'value added'. Although books like Beano (which has been around just a couple of months less than Action Comics) are selling less than they used to, I've seen parents buy them in supermarkets and newsagents (miss the old newsstand comics) even though they are similarly priced - the puzzles and other interactive elements add 'value' (as far as some of the parents are concerned), but there are still less issues being sold.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    yeah I can relate to this. Only being able to buy few issues a week and always wishing you could see the wider universe. Or having to go back later and buy those issues Etc.
    Indeed - I was only able to afford the Superman titles back then (and the occasional Batman/Detective). Those issues got so worn - covers coming away from the staples etc - because I would read them over and over again.

Good times

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

My pull-list was ridiculous (and, perhaps, there was a depressive element in there, too, so it became my area of self-indulgence rather than something like drinking or gambling etc).
    I feel that - binge-watching tv can also be similar.

I think that comics at this point is so heavily aimed at the adult market, which is a massive mistake. Though I would not necessarily be super happy if Super Hero Girls and Aww Yeah became the main offerings of DC, I could totally understand. After all, the reboots are part of the fact that comics were originally aimed at kids, which kept them profitable (theoretically). So basically, I'm trying to argue that I shouldn't read comics. Hmm.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

So basically, I'm trying to argue that I shouldn't read comics. Hmm.
    Nah, you're arguing that they need to diversify and refresh and have a range of books that are accessible and affordable to a non/low-earner

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Nah, you're arguing that they need to diversify and refresh and have a range of books that are accessible and affordable to a non/low-earner
    Hmmm! You have a good point! I love the wealth of options that I, as a 30-something, can read and enjoy long-term. But I do wonder how much there is that is appropriate or enjoyable for a 10-13-year old. It seems like in the area where comics used to be most dominant - early to mid -teens - we're incredibly sparse. Lots of stuff for the 10 and unders (Super Hero Girls, Aw Yeah type stuff, Scooby Doo, etc), and lots of stuff for the 20 and overs (pretty much all of mainstream continuity, plus any spinoffs), but very little that's actually aimed at the "Robin demographic." Even Super Sons seems to be aimed at the 10s, to me at least. Robin, Son of Batman is probably the best example - possibly the current Batgirl book as well. (I just wish the current Batgirl book was better than it is.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I prefer the fancy paper. I remember when Marvel switched to cheaper paper in the 90's and it drove me nuts(in part because prices stayed the same).

BANNED

I feel that - binge-watching tv can also be similar.

I think that comics at this point is so heavily aimed at the adult market, which is a massive mistake. Though I would not necessarily be super happy if Super Hero Girls and Aww Yeah became the main offerings of DC, I could totally understand. After all, the reboots are part of the fact that comics were originally aimed at kids, which kept them profitable (theoretically). So basically, I'm trying to argue that I shouldn't read comics. Hmm.
    I quite agree. Comics can't succeed long-term if they price themselves out of the under-18 market and focus on the over-49 market.

As I said, I think this change is coming, and that both DC and Marvel will benefit from it. Yet I think that a few people will complain on the message boards until their dying day that it was a "debacle."