View Poll Results: Do you want less-expensive floppies?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • $1.99

41 57.75%
  • $3.99

23 32.39%
  • Don't know/No opinion

7 9.86%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    It's not a matter of "doubling sales." They can keep the current sales numbers with the lower price point and still make the same amount of profit. That's because they'll be slashing their expenditures. It's not a giveaway. If they gain any sales at all, which they will, then their profits will increase.

The main calculation here is, where does this leave DC in regard to Marvel? What it does is to put Marvel in a precarious position by enticing customers to spend their limited dollars on 2X DC comics instead of on X Marvel comics.

Yes but the retailers and Diamond distributors will over revenue and their costs aren't going down and if they lose money DC loses. Plus you now have to color comics twice because digital coloring techniques don't work on newsprint and you have to hire color separators again, if there is a pool of qualified candidates in the skill set that will increase costs so no, they will not remain profitable, in fact, publishing is probably not running at a profit at all, at least not on the floppies sales and even if so, you are decreasing revenue, it's fine that you are still making 20% profit but in dollars and cents you are losing money to use, and that wont happen. It's not jsut about DC, it's about all their partners in the process of bringing comics to market that you have to take into consideration.

The reason the direct market came into existence was that the retail partners and distributors weren't making enough on comics to make it worth their while to carry them or to make sure they got distrubuted properly and put out for sale. If your partners in selling and distributing comics aren't happy or are losing money because of your decision, your books might not get to market. I mean Diamond could say, cool you want to do that, we want an extra 10% of the cover price to make up for our loss of revenue, which is very likely to happen. How does DC reamin profitable when their partners want a bigger piece of the revenue pie because you are shrinking the pie?

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

BANNED

Then you should urge DC to cut their prices to $2.99 and keep using 50-pound paper.
    Why is it you keep on pretending the $2,99 price point does not exist? There is no need to urge DC to cut their prices when you have plenty of books at that price point already.

It does and I bet if you had actually included that as an option the poll would look different.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Then you should urge DC to cut their prices to $2.99 and keep using 50-pound paper.
    I don't have to "urge DC" to do anything. All of their books are already on good paper and most of them are also at the $2.99 per individual comic price point. I'm not sure why your choosing to ignore that unless what your actually talking about are those few books that are not at that price point already. Those were also $2.99 as well until fairly recently and clearly DC made the decision to bump those up to $3.99 because they wanted better sales numbers on them, which a rise in price might achieve.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 12-27-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I don't like newsprint period anymore.
    I've been spoiled with the good quality paper. I don't want to see them go backwards.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Why is it you keep on pretending the $2,99 price point does not exist? There is no need to urge DC to cut their prices when you have plenty of books at that price point already.

It does and I bet if you had actually included that as an option the poll would look different.
    I think the real issue is WHO gets to be $2.99

$3.99 is FINE for average at least 40K up in sales (not just orders).

It's fine for Batman, Superman, WW, Aquaman and Hal Jordan.

It's NOT fine for Cyborg, Superwoman, All New Superman & Beetle.

And then they WONDER why those books except New SUperman are now gone.

How about retailers?
    AFTER their behavior towards Marvel-I would careless how they feel.

It does not matter what paper the comic is done one-if all they are going to do is cry about who is on the cover. Also what might be a proven seller at your store might not be at my store or even sold at a store.

Their bottom line is being HURT because there are too many other options to get what they sell.

Yet they want to blame it on diversity.

Why would I go to your store and pay $30 for Black Panther movie figures when I can get them for $20 at Wal-Mart or Wal Greens?

Why would I pay $4 for Hal Jordan issue on Wednesday when I can get it for $1 at my used book store on Friday?

If I get interested in Supergirl and want back issues-why would I go to your store and pay $75 for those floppies or 35 for two trades and $12 for the other floppies. I can go to Ebay and see 1-19 for $20.

Diversity didn't cause that-the MARKET did.

So no price of floppies will help a store. Because there will still be issues with who is on the cover for too many folks. Which is why you see more folks looking at trade only as we saw with the soon to be movie Goldie Vance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I don't have to "urge DC" to do anything. All of their books are already on good paper and most of them are also at the $2.99 per individual comic price point. I'm not sure why your choosing to ignore that unless what your actually talking about are those few books that are not at that price point already. Those were also $2.99 as well until fairly recently and clearly DC made the decision to bump those up to $3.99 because they wanted better sales numbers on them, which a rise in price might achieve.
    Then you're willing to pay $3.99 for some of them and $2.99 for others. That's fine. You should vote for $3.99.

But if you don't feel comfortable doing that, then don't vote.

The thing is, they'll all cost $3.99 pretty soon unless something like this happens.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-27-2017 at 12:45 PM.

BANNED

Then you're willing to pay $3.99 for some of them and $2.99 for others. That's fine. You should vote for $3.99.

The thing is, they'll all cost $3.99 pretty soon unless something like this happens.
    You're still not getting that production cost and cover price are only very tenuously linked.

I want a free pony with every comic book I buy. If I started a poll, I bet everyone would also want a free pony with every comic book they buy.

BANNED

Do you know what Amazon charges for shipping free ponies?

BANNED

These are the prices of the DCU comics that are listed on icv2.com for November.

$4.99 DC
    $5.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $4.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $4.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $5.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $4.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $4.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $4.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $4.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $4.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $5.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $12.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $2.99 DC
    $4.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $7.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $7.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    $3.99 DC
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-27-2017 at 01:20 PM.

I already said I wasn't going to vote because the poll, like so many others on here most of the time, doesn't really cover my particular feeling regarding what it is about. No harm in that. As to the bolded you don't know that for absolutely certain. ?No one can know that. All you have is speculation and that doesn't make it a fact. DC has been mainly $2.99 since I returned to reading comics and it's a price point that they keep coming back to so I really don't see that changing much unless Marvel hikes their prices up to $4.99 for a regular issue that's not a special or event book. Then DC would likely have to go to $3.99 just to "keep up".

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Do you know what Amazon charges for shipping free ponies?
    Amazon is shipping free ponies now. Who knew.

Amazon is shipping free ponies now. Who knew.
    What can't (or won't) Amazon do?

BANNED

I already said I wasn't going to vote because the poll, like so many others on here most of the time, doesn't really cover my particular feeling regarding what it is about. No harm in that. As to the bolded you don't know that for absolutely certain. ?No one can know that. All you have is speculation and that doesn't make it a fact. DC has been mainly $2.99 since I returned to reading comics and it's a price point that they keep coming back to so I really don't see that changing much unless Marvel hikes their prices up to $4.99 for a regular issue that's not a special or event book. Then DC would likely have to go to $3.99 just to "keep up".
    Look up there at the prices I just posed. Does $2.99 look like the wave of the future to you? It doesn't to me.

With newsprint, you can figure that those $4.99 titles could cost $2.49, and the $5.99 titles would cost $2.99.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I want a free pony with every comic book I buy. If I started a poll, I bet everyone would also want a free pony with every comic book they buy.

That’s the spirit! I support your initiative