View Poll Results: Do you want less-expensive floppies?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • $1.99

41 57.75%
  • $3.99

23 32.39%
  • Don't know/No opinion

7 9.86%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

The fancy paper and the garish colors, of todays books, do nothing to enhance the stories in the monthly issues.
    (I refuse to used that fl...ies word for monthly books)
    Save the nice paper for the trades.

BANNED

The best way to phase it in would be to start with the four or so issues of an event.

Ultimate Member

But how many people are buying them from Barnes & Noble and Toys R Us? Do you have any sales figures?
    I would say NONE.

Because it's only books for Batman and MAYBE Superman, WW, Flash & Justice League.

Toys R Us-they tend to be in 3 packs and it's random issue of the above guys and maybe Supergirl.

It's the books that if you go to comic book store-you would already have or books that kids are NOT interested in reading.

Also not everyone has access to Barnes & Nobles. I have access to two and NEITHER is worth going to. Because the books I want are NEVER in stock and have to be ordered. If you like Batman, WW, Green Arrow, Superman, Barry, Hal & Justice League-you are in luck. Everyone else SORRY.

To me it's a WASTE for those books to be in Barnes & Nobles. Because no one is bothering with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    The best way to phase it in would be to start with the four or so issues of an event.
    Oh yes, let's have yet another Event.
    (Haven't those started to see a slip in sales yet?)

BANNED

I bet if they did that. they'd sell as many copies of the event as they could print.

Ultimate Member

I bet if they did that. they'd sell as many copies of the event as they could print.
    As long as they SELL not just get ordered to pack back issue or dollar bins.

Seems like $2.99 is a good compromise. Why isn't that an option in the poll? They could probably sell as many as they could print at $2.99 also.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Seems like $2.99 is a good compromise. Why isn't that an option in the poll? They could probably sell as many as they could print at $2.99 also.
    I'm guessing it's not an option because the $2.99 U.S. cover price these days is mainly for popular twice-a-month DC titles, not most of the once-a-month ones.

(Probably also because it wouldn't have been beneficial to the OP's basic argument?)

To me, it's not so much an issue of paper and other production costs as it is the industry thinking consumers will support a $3.99 price point. I think it's because of that most books are currently $3.99 and consumers have shown that they'll even pay $4.99 and higher for "special" issues or issues with a few more pages of extra content.

Even if DC went back to cheaper paper, it'd probably wouldn't be too long before we're back at $3.99, IMO...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

BANNED

I think the way to phase this in is not on marginal titles, so that it looks like a gimmick to help the have-nots, but on comics that people would buy anyway. After doing it with an event, the next best step might be with Batman.

BANNED

I think I'll post this poll in the Marvel forum too. Why should all the good ideas go to DC?
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-05-2018 at 05:53 AM.

I think I'll post this poll in the Marvel forum too. Why should all the good ideas go to DC?
    Maybe this time you should include an option in the poll for "It's irrelevant whether I'd like it or not because I don't believe it is actually practical".

FWIW, I didn't vote in this poll because that option was missing.

Astonishing Member

Yeah it's a bit of a pointless question. MANY things would have to change in creation, or SOMEONE would have to lose money with any current model to really sell books at a lower price at any Bigger company.

And yes, paper quality really WON'T affect cover price. At least for DC or Marvel.

Maybe with a smaller publisher but I doubt enough to care there as well.

Plus let's say it IS lower quality paper...there's plenty who won't buy or read a book BECAUSE of that, though many might not think it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Maybe this time you should include an option in the poll for "It's irrelevant whether I'd like it or not because I don't believe it is actually practical".

FWIW, I didn't vote in this poll because that option was missing.
    Yeah, that option would be the one I would pick, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The poll should've just been "Yes", "No", "Not sure".

Yes. Monthlies at less than $4 would be nice. I'd either save money or get a bigger pull list.
    Yes. I wouldn't mind if they went back to newspaper quality.