Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I think the only way they don't have another encounter is if the run ends before its supposed to. To me this is a clear set up of another showdown. This was like Darth Vader killing Obi-Wan Kenobi in front of Luke to set up the later showdown between the two of them. Outside of Robinson leaving the title earlier than anticipated or whatever and a new creative team going in a completely different direction, I'd be outright shocked if they don't legitimately thrown down.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Didn't Diana make a big speech about how Zeus is a bad father in an earlier issue or something? Yet here Diana is just shouting father at Zeus as if that was ever what he was to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think the only way they don't have another encounter is if the run ends before its supposed to. To me this is a clear set up of another showdown. This was like Darth Vader killing Obi-Wan Kenobi in front of Luke to set up the later showdown between the two of them. Outside of Robinson leaving the title earlier than anticipated or whatever and a new creative team going in a completely different direction, I'd be outright shocked if they don't legitimately thrown down.
    Yeah. If the future solicits are to be believed, this is only the first act in the entire story that Robinson is writing.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Bummed to hear how many folks felt like this issue was a dud.
    Same here. This story arc just makes me sad.

So this particular story is over, right? Silver Swan is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    I don`t think Zeus was portraited as weak or laughabe, he was however outmaneuvered strategically. Nothing indicates he was overpowered directly but Darkseid`s gambit worked and stole his essence and when that was accomplished, he left because there was no reason for him to keep fighting. If you go back to the Hercules and Grail fight you will see that she same differences in their strategy were already planted. Hercules prefered a honorable head-on whereas Grail went for misterection...third arc is the one she fights back with what she`s learned.
    I want to believe this, but, it's still a lousy finish for the Darkseid War, so far.

I can't help but think Robinson is surrounding Jason with sea-themed powers, locales, characters and even his own name for a reason. I want to see Jason come out of this a fully fledged, costumed-up member of the Wonder Woman family - maybe, a new Argonaut - and I still haven't given up that he will, somehow.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    So this particular story is over, right? Silver Swan is next?
    Yeah, but Jason will feature prominently in it. I think it will be setting up parallels between the Diana/Vanessa dynamic and the Diana/Jason dynamic.

So...

What's everyone's take on the next arc?

- Better?
    - Worse?

I am passing on this title until Ashton Kutcher finally steps from behind the camera.
    I really can not think of a single character who has been punk'd more in comics than Wonder Woman.

So...

- Better?
    - Worse?

It can always get worse.

The things I do for Nessie.

Astonishing Member

So...

- Better?
    - Worse?
    I'm in the "I'm not even going to read anymore" take. I hope it's good but I can't think of any actual reason to continue reading. I hope regular Wonder Woman fans enjoy it, I know Silver Swan is something of a major character in Diana's menagerie but I know virtually nothing about her/them and I can't trust DC to write anything of interest in this book after this arc (and to a much lesser extent the prior fill-in).

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I'm in the "I'm not even going to read anymore" take.
    Yep.

Factoring in folks take on that first issue, I never even gave it a try.

Hopefully, there will be a run that you could at least justify reading sometime soon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    ... Why, Johns?
    Two words: Marketing gimmick. It answers a lot of questions. What was really the point of Trinity War? Marketing gimmick. They only killed Darkseid and quickly brought him back for the illusion of actually having a real story. As long as it sells, they will recycle and repeat.

Bummed to hear how many folks felt like this issue was a dud.
    I kind of like it in a misery loves company sort of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    ... At the very least things are happening and its following a narrative that makes some semblance of sense... I totally get not liking what's happening here, but we leave this arc knowing what happened and where things stand now...
    Ok, if this story makes sense to you, please, explain it to me.

Let's start with Grail. She goes from manipulating the destruction of Darkseid in a way that death is too good for him, in her view, so she controls him with the anti-life. Now, all she does is serve him, saying she won't stop until he is restored? How does that make any sense?

Like Rucka's run or not, Diana had no love for Zeus. This run starts with her having no respect for Zeus as a father, because he's done nothing for her. Zeus does nothing for all the other kids that Grail killed. But, suddenly Diana is driven to be her daddy's avenger, even to the point she's angry at the JL for showing up?

This only makes sense in the sense that's it's all one big generic trope. For seven issues now, Robinson has had absolutely nothing new or creative to say.

This is no Empire Stikes Back, it's just lazy crap.

The story makes sense standing alone. It certainly doesn't jive completely with what Darkseid War did. I can't explain that away and certainly won't try. Its obviously a case of Johns starting something and abandoning it and having others go forward with things in their own way. Its not going to match completely. And that's definitely on all parties. But I'm just talking about the standalone story beats here in this arc alone.

As far as Diana being driven to avenge her father despite not being close to him and acknowledging he's never been around, I'm not seeing any contradiction there. There's a difference between not being close to a blood relative who hasn't been around, and being more that comfortable voicing it and calling it out, and not caring when they're killed right in front of you.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-28-2017 at 11:56 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Two words: Marketing gimmick. It answers a lot of questions. What was really the point of Trinity War? Marketing gimmick. They only killed Darkseid and quickly brought him back for the illusion of actually having a real story. As long as it sells, they will recycle and repeat.

I kind of like it in a misery loves company sort of way.

Ok, if this story makes sense to you, please, explain it to me.

Let's start with Grail. She goes from manipulating the destruction of Darkseid in a way that death is too good for him, in her view, so she controls him with the anti-life. Now, all she does is serve him, saying she won't stop until he is restored? How does that make any sense?

Like Rucka's run or not, Diana had no love for Zeus. This run starts with her having no respect for Zeus as a father, because he's done nothing for her. Zeus does nothing for all the other kids that Grail killed. But, suddenly Diana is driven to be her daddy's avenger, even to the point she's angry at the JL for showing up?

This only makes sense in the sense that's it's all one big generic trope. For seven issues now, Robinson has had absolutely nothing new or creative to say.

This is no Empire Stikes Back, it's just lazy crap.

Hey, where does it says that Diana doesn’t love Zeus? Diana loves and respects all the gods. She just have her opinions about them. She says they have her love but not her trus

This storyline should have been handled at the onset of the Rebirth Initiative, not crammed right now. Then, it would have followed up with Darkseid War and benefited from a relatively clean slate and greater indulgence, I think; readers would have known what to expect, they would have had time to deal with it and move along after it, whatever the outcome. It would have been better to have Jason here from issue #1 or early on and see if he worked. If not, he could have been discretely shoved away while peoples where still in the glow of Rebirth and other (better) storylines could have been pushed.

Instead, D.C. chose to let Rucka produce his hot pile of garbage which left Wonder Woman in a far worse situation, story and character-wise than he had found her. And now, we have to deal with an aimless character, who lack any and all foundation stable enough to build anything upon. Seriously, I like the Zeus origin, far over the clay one, because I don't like the vibes of eugenism (the word may be too strong, but the idea is more or less that, that's what I associate with this idea of a perfect baby being born from no real parent) and it's associated with the segregationist attitude of the Amazons (which I loath; those characters have nothing to teach to anyone), but the way Zeus was used here was stupid and forced. Azzarello actually had the right idea to shove him away and make him the damsel in distress through Zeke. he had had an agency at a time but now hadn't, which is far better than in coming to save the day, and then dying because he fails to notice what Darkseid is doing (and I wonder how it'll impact Shazam's powers, if it ever referenced in a hopefully new comics for him).

Then there is Grail, who's quickly went from one character I found extremely interesting to one I'm already losing faith in, that in the spade of what, seven issues ? She ended Darkseid War in an incredible position, trying to teach Darkseid love despite how conflicted she was and how evil was an inherent part of her. She end this storyline as her willing and happy servant. Until the very last page, I expected some kind of twist, like she had supercharged Darkseid to bring back her mother (something which would make her far more interesting, and a direct inverse mirror of that blond villain Rucka used who wanted to get her daughter back) it would have been so much more interesting, having her trying her best to actually save the only one person she ever loved, as much as she can love. Tonally speaking, it would have worked a lot better with the Wonder Woman mythos, were love is prevalent...

I can't help but think that Johns actually forced this storyline and Robinson because he remembered he had to do it but had lost any and all interest in Darkseid War and its follow-up.
    Last edited by Korath; 12-29-2017 at 03:17 AM.