Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Default Will Marvel ever overturn Joe Q's smoking ban?

For those unaware, Joe Quesada, during his tenure as Editor-in-Chief, instituted a ban on characters smoking. So no more cigar-chomping Thunderbolt Ross. No more stogie for Wolverine. No more [insert artful euphemism for smoking] Nick Fury.

From what I recall reading at the time, Quesada lost his father to a long, drawn out battle with lung cancer due to smoking and didn't want to appear to be romanticizing the habit, which I understand; however, I've always felt that the best way to tackle an issue like this was to actually confront it instead of avoid it. So I'm inherently against the ban.

So my question is, do you folks think the ban will ever be overturned? I don't think it'll happen while he's still involved with the company and certainly not now that he intends to hold Cebulski's hand as EiC, but once he's gone, I think it's a distinct possibility.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

Does anyone really care anymore since it’s been so long and most nobody else has characters smoking anymore. Not to mention someone will say something since much has been made to curb people smoking

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

In the years since Joe Q did that, there are more bans against smoking in restaurants, stores, etc. so the chances of you being exposed to second hand smoke is lessened.
    I don't see why we need to avoid the reality that some people still smoke. So as not to set a bad example, how about at least letting the villains smoke again?

I honestly keep forgetting it's a thing, so it's not something I think has to be particularly overturned, especially since I don't care much for smoking myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Does anyone really care anymore since it’s been so long and most nobody else has characters smoking anymore. Not to mention someone will say something since much has been made to curb people smoking
    Does John Constantine still smoke in his comics? I'm not quite sure.

The no smoking thing was dumb

In comics that we see so much violence we draw the line with smoking
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    The no smoking thing was dumb

In comics that we see so much violence we draw the line with smoking
    Violence goes hand in hand with superheroic entertainment.
    Smoking on the other hand..... <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    In the years since Joe Q did that, there are more bans against smoking in restaurants, stores, etc. so the chances of you being exposed to second hand smoke is lessened.
    I don't see why we need to avoid the reality that some people still smoke. So as not to set a bad example, how about at least letting the villains smoke again?

I should really read those issues where Victor is teaming with Sue more carefully. I didn't notice that Doom was a smoker...

I will think about him when I'll light my next one... (pretty soon after a very spicy Vietnamese soup and a strong black coffee... It will be pure villainy! )
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Does John Constantine still smoke in his comics? I'm not quite sure.
    Yep. I doubt that's ever going to change.

To clarify, I've never smoked nor do I plan on it, so this isn't some sort of weird, misguided attempt at self-actualization through Marvel. It just seems somewhat obtuse to think that ignoring smoking will cause kids to not do it.

The ban was used to comedic effect in Lemire's Thanos when Pip the Troll went to light one up in a bar, only to be told by the wait staff that they didn't allow it, which caused him to have a "what's this world coming to" moment.

Overall, smoking is becoming a far less prominent habit than it used to be, especially among younger people: here in Georgia, you haven't been able to smoke in restaurants for close to 15 years now.

It's just weird that Wolverine can graphically decapitate someone but can't light up a stogie.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I should really read those issues where Victor is teaming with Sue more carefully. I didn't notice that Doom was a smoker...

I will think about him when I'll light my next one... (pretty soon after a very spicy Vietnamese soup and a strong black coffee... It will be pure villainy! )
    Funny thing is I don't smoke but my Mom did up until the day she passed away at age 86. Admittedly, she did have some health problems from it but surprisingly, no cancer.

These days it seems you have more vaping than smoking.

BTW, I like how Doom can blow smoke rings through a rectangular mouth guard. and uses a cigarette holder

BTW, I like how Doom ... uses a cigarette holder
    That's because he's classy, dammit! No cheap Black & Milds for the Latverian monarch.

Funny thing is I don't smoke but my Mom did up until the day she passed away at age 86. Admittedly, she did have some health problems from it but surprisingly, no cancer.

These days it seems you have more vaping than smoking.

BTW, I like how Doom can blow smoke rings through a rectangular mouth guard. and uses a cigarette holder
    I should quit. :/

He as a very powerful technique: he can blow some smoke through the rings! Perhaps his mask is equipped with a machine like the one Gaston Lagaffe built (I'll try to find a pic.. edit I can't...). I guess that the cigarette holder is useful with his metal gloves, but it add also a decadent old Europe glamour touch. Obviously Big John Buscema had fun - it's almost Kirbyesque.
    Last edited by Abe; 01-11-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    It's just weird that Wolverine can graphically decapitate someone but can't light up a stogie.
    They actually addressed that in that "Ain't No Dog" story from X-Force.

IMHO, showing characters rarely adds anything to the story and we are now in an era when smoking is less common (esp. in public), or at least seems less common. However, I wonder how strict the ban always was; I recall that the post-ban miniseries X-23: Target X showed Kingpin smoking a stogie.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

If I see someone smoking in a comic, that'll make me want to smoke? Yet if I see someone commit a murder in a comic, it won't make me want to do that?
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-11-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I should quit. :/

He as a very powerful technique: he can blow some smoke through the rings! Perhaps his mask is equipped with a machine like the one Gaston Lagaffe built (I'll try to find a pic.. edit I can't...). I guess that the cigarette holder is useful with his metal gloves, but it add also a decadent old Europe glamour touch. Obviously Big John Buscema had fun - it's almost Kirbyesque.
    Please, it's obviously a Doombot in those panels.