Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Phoenix Resurrection: The Return of Jean Grey #1 (SPOILERS)

Sorry, no time to do a blow by blow today, but here's a space where we can discuss the issue without being careful of spoilers.

The preview pages were a strong enough showing to get me to pick up the first issue, and I'm not disappointed, but I felt the hook was stronger than the cliffhanger. Even without the spoilers, it wasn't much of a stretch to guess who would be standing at the door on that last page. I also did feel that pulling the X-Men into three missions to deliver the same plot point was a bit much, especially since most readers already knew that couldn't be original-flavor Wolverine up in the Arctic.

Still, I felt like the tone did a lot to make up for what issues I had with the execution, which are relatively minor. Comic book characters coming back from the dead is such a non-event these days that it can be shrugged off in-story with a joke. Hell, "I got better" is a punchline known even outside of comic circles. Having Jean's return be this creepy, unsettling phenomenon that not even the other X-Men know how to get a handle on is a great break from the usual. I don't know if I'll get the rest of the issues in singles, but I've pre-ordered the trade.

Also, did anyone else think that "Mr. Cassidy" being unable to make up his mind was a reference to Sean's current undead status?
    Last edited by Anduinel; 12-27-2017 at 08:58 AM.

I agree with how the tone helps sell the story. The nonchalance people in the MU have about death and resurrection becomes unintentionally creepy after a while, so to have a story go in on just how disturbing the concept should be is refreshing. Also I thought Matthew Rosenburgs letter at the end was touching.

Jumping towards the end it further solidifies the creepiness when you realize that Jean is trapped in a world surrounded by people who are supposed to be dead like she supposedly is. It begs the question of where exactly is she and what is real.

The story appears to be pulling from all facets of Jean's life. The death of Annie as her origin is a good place to start as is the visit to the Hellfire club. The North Pole is I believe where Phoenix: Endsong ended and was thus the last time Jean was up and around.

The battle at Mont Saint Francis with Seamus Mellencamp was an interesting choice. Jean fought him briefly there during X-Men #300. No particular significance I can think of at the moment but it does provide one of her more satisfying non-Phoenix power stunts.

Last edited by ariwl1; 12-27-2017 at 08:59 AM.

I definitrly got that vibe off of Banshee. I thought he was about to start flipping between his human form and Horseman form.

Am I the only one who noticed that absolutely no one cares that Jeen is nothing but dust?

(ALSO THE BIRD FALLS OVER ON THE LAST PAGE)

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    The battle at Mont Saint Francis with Seamus Mellencamp was an interesting choice. Jean fought him briefly there during X-Men #300. No particular significance I can think of at the moment but it does provide one of her more satisfying non-Phoenix power stunts.
    I think it's mostly there to show that Rosenberg has done his homework with regards to Jean. I approve!

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    (ALSO THE BIRD FALLS OVER ON THE LAST PAGE)
    I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. If this series keeps up with all these little nods it could be a real feast for X-fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I think it's mostly there to show that Rosenberg has done his homework with regards to Jean. I approve!
    Between all these little details and his touching letter at the end of it I'm convinced he's both a fan of the X-Men and Jean in particular. I'm even more hopeful this will translate to a good story!

BANNED

Am I the only one who noticed that absolutely no one cares that Jeen is nothing but dust?
    "I must go now, my planet needs me"
    And Jeen died on the way to her planet

Still trying to wrap my head around how that'll tie into this:

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    "I must go now, my planet needs me"
    And Jeen died on the way to her planet
    Am I the only one fully ready for this to happen in the Venom/Blue crossover?

O5: "We must go now, the Venoms need us"

And the O5 died on their way to their planet.

i loved it. i hope jean gives jubilee her sparkle powers back while she's fixing all the broken things.

Am I the only one fully ready for this to happen in the Venom/Blue crossover?

O5: "We must go now, the Venoms need us"

And the O5 died on their way to their planet.
    Nope. After reading this issue, which I thought was really good by the way, I’m more ready than ever for the originals to return and all time displaced versions to go home. Even Leinil Yu’s OML, who used to look pretty cool, looks like a wrinkly old man now for some reason. I think he’s drawing him older looking to make it a more stark contrast with younger man Logan. If that’s the case, just bring the real deal back and be done with it.

Anyway, solid issue all around. Definitely had a weird, Twin Peaks sort of vibe to it. Can’t wait for next week when Cable strolls in to join the rest of the X-men (finally and for the first time since ResurrXion began)...like a boss!

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Nope. After reading this issue, which I thought was really good by the way, I’m more ready than ever for the originals to return and all time displaced versions to go home. Even Leinil Yu’s OML, who used to look pretty cool, looks like a wrinkly old man now for some reason. I think he’s drawing him older looking to make it a more stark contrast with younger man Logan. If that’s the case, just bring the real deal back and be done with it.

Anyway, solid issue all around. Definitely had a weird, Twin Peaks sort of vibe to it. Can’t wait for next week when Cable strolls in to join the rest of the X-men (finally and for the first time since ResurrXion began)...like a boss!

I agree with you, Jackraow. Twin Peaks is CLEARLY an influence. Jean Grey is a tulpa.

BANNED

Lol wonder if it is ghost jean trapped in a mental or ghostly fantasy created by the Phoenix after it burned/captured jeen back in 9. If so then wonder why this elaborate charade to resurrect her when it could just possess her and reanimate her in a new body or alternatively take her place as it once did? apart from selling a 5 issue resurrection book series that is. Anyway once she resurrects wonder if she is going to lead all the X men in a final assault to rescue jeen in 10. Apart from that it was a run of mill horror fare which is nothing to shout about.

Normally I don't pay attention to anybody except Rogue and Gambit any more, but... but this book...! I figured it was safe to sneak-read at work this morning, and yet I ended up hiding in the back office, silently mouthing "What the fuuuuu". The floating kids at the beginning gave me goose bumps. Not a fan of Kitty and Hank beating around the bush for so many pages, although it definitely sets up a foreboding tone. Please tell me I'm not the only one who got crazy excited to see 616 Wolvie, Banshee, and Scott again! EEEE. I think the Phoenix came back and had a wtf moment when it realized everyone dear to its old host had been killed, hence the creation of a false world.

Still, I'd be ecstatic if Jean brings the others back to life, too. So many posters on this board whine about the 'tired old days' and whatnot, but just give me back my X-Men family and I'll buy your books again, Marvel!

Good issue of course Jean is somehow subconscious creating those visions based on your memories but why now?

The letter to the fans at the end was a nice touch on the part of the writer and marvel.

I would not have hope for Scott's return so soon but it would be interesting if Jean's return also meant the return of mutants who lost their lives or powers with decimation.
    Last edited by Knives; 12-27-2017 at 10:00 AM.

The Melencamp memory makes the scene from 300 foreshadowing. Jean has become her own worst nightmare -- herself.

I believe the Marvel Universe term for tulpa is mummudrai. It is beautifully ironic that the real Jean Grey is a mummudrai.