Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
Results 316 to 328 of 328
  1. #316
    Fantastic Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Massachusetts, Land of Witches
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    https://uncannyxmen.net/characters/phoenix-iv/page/0/1

    https://www.google.es/search?q=jean+...jvUHJlzPRrLTM:

    All published accounts indicate Annie ran out into the street in front of a blind curve and a car just ran over her. That's when Jean's telepathic powers were triggered.

    Now, if you want to take that story apart it's got inconsistencies one could drive a car through, so I can see why you might want to put more in there.

    A car just ran over a child and apparently continued on it's way? That's pure homicide. The driver should have stopped and gone to the nearest house and called for help (no cellphones then). So I can see why some posters think there might be more to how Annie got killed than was told, but officially the story is that she simply ran after a frisbee. PS: I also don't think a 10 year old is that likely to run out in traffic like that, so I chalk this mostly to Claremont just doing a bad job in writing this story.
    I wonder if Gladys was the one who was driving the car?

  2. #317
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    Annie ran into traffic for no reason with a burgeoning telekine and telepath with her.
    Well if you really want to get your imagination going, was the car or the driver real? If we compare this to the real world what person runs over a child, and then doesn't call 911 to help? The driver should have stopped the car, tried to help, and run into the house for help. So I don't really blame you for thinking there's more to this story than meets the eye, and perhaps Rosenberg picked up on that as well.

  3. #318
    Fantastic Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Massachusetts, Land of Witches
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Well if you really want to get your imagination going, was the car or the driver real? If we compare this to the real world what person runs over a child, and then doesn't call 911 to help? The driver should have stopped the car, tried to help, and run into the house for help. So I don't really blame you for thinking there's more to this story than meets the eye, and perhaps Rosenberg picked up on that as well.
    Did you read the final issue of the Cable/Hope series? They were back in time in the 70s. Hope was driving a car and was about to run over a girl who had run out into the street (after a frisbee?), when Cable forced her to brake.

  4. #319
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    I wonder if Gladys was the one who was driving the car?
    Possibly, but there was never a mention of a driver. Or of someone arresting the driver from homicide. Should the driver have been driving so fast in a residential area that they couldn't stop?

  5. #320
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    Did you read the final issue of the Cable/Hope series? They were back in time in the 70s. Hope was driving a car and was about to run over a girl who had run out into the street (after a frisbee?), when Cable forced her to brake.
    I did not. I know Claremont often refused to explain things and always left lots of mysteries in his writings, or things that could be taken in multiple ways. So there's likely a reason why the driver never stopped for help, or was arrested for homicide. Claremont may have wanted this to be ambiguous. But the retelling of Hope nearly running over a girl certainly meant that writer at the time thought there was more to Annie's death.

  6. #321
    Fantastic Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Massachusetts, Land of Witches
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Possibly, but there was never a mention of a driver. Or of someone arresting the driver from homicide. Should the driver have been driving so fast in a residential area that they couldn't stop?
    I do hope you're right that Matthew Rosenberg is exploring this further. The appearance of Mellencamp suggests that this is a carefully researched and deeply nuanced work of horror.

  7. #322
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    I do hope you're right that Matthew Rosenberg is exploring this further. The appearance of Mellencamp suggests that this is a carefully researched and deeply nuanced work of horror.
    I think this is why Jean through the bird after telling the kids she wanted to play Frisbee. Noticed she then flew, meaning she was actively using her telekinesis. The kids were struck down and comatose and were bleeding when there were no actual injuries.

    So I think Rosenberg has definitely considered what you're saying and is leaving it open to interpretation again. Jean's mind struck down two kids down, could it have struck Annie's too originally? Keep in mind in the original story we didn't see the police or anyone else examine Annie's body. That and there being no DRIVER, and no arrest of the driver? No driver who stopped to help and to call 911?

  8. #323
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    358

    Default

    As the Banshee in this book seemed unable to make up his mind, i think that it actually is Sean, not part of a fantasy... he's stuck between dead and alive, good and evil
    i am hoping for a full, heroic return.

  9. #324
    Fantastic Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Massachusetts, Land of Witches
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    As the Banshee in this book seemed unable to make up his mind, i think that it actually is Sean, not part of a fantasy... he's stuck between dead and alive, good and evil
    i am hoping for a full, heroic return.
    That's insightful. Perhaps Jean will purge him of the death seed. I would like to see a true X-Man (apart from Nightcrawler) join X-Men Red. But I'm not certain he would feel comfortable living under water.

  10. #325
    Jubilant Member Dementia5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    3,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    As the Banshee in this book seemed unable to make up his mind, i think that it actually is Sean, not part of a fantasy... he's stuck between dead and alive, good and evil
    Bacon and sausage...


    But yeah, I really hope that’s him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

  11. #326
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    10,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Possibly, but there was never a mention of a driver. Or of someone arresting the driver from homicide. Should the driver have been driving so fast in a residential area that they couldn't stop?
    I'm not sure which version of the story I am remembering, but wasn't Jean institutionalized after this because of the effects of her telepathy (and having experienced what it was like to die) so the aftermath wasn't all that important to the story (and Jean would have been more removed from the events by the time she got out).

    That's the problem with background events that get retold a few times - not every reader will be on the same page, and later writers won't be either.

  12. #327
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    4,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm not sure which version of the story I am remembering, but wasn't Jean institutionalized after this because of the effects of her telepathy (and having experienced what it was like to die) so the aftermath wasn't all that important to the story (and Jean would have been more removed from the events by the time she got out).

    That's the problem with background events that get retold a few times - not every reader will be on the same page, and later writers won't be either.
    I don't expect them to show the driver's trial.

    But the fact that the driver is such a non character in this, I don't blame people for wondering if Jean didn't accidentally strike Annie down with a psychic powers.

    The car could have been a projection of Jean's mind. Perhaps this is why Xavier curtailed Jean's powers at this point.

  13. #328
    Astonishing Member Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    Annie ran into traffic for no reason with a burgeoning telekine and telepath with her.
    Grown people, let alone young people, run into traffic for nonsensical reasons.

    I think what other people are trying to say is- while it's possible you're right, there's no evidence to suggest it, which means that any sort of interpretation you have is, for better or worse, a projection by you. And projections come from our own thoughts,
    Experiences, opinions. ''Tis isn't of course until more of this story unfolds and perhaps more evidence is shown.

    We all do it all the time with comics. There are a lot of things between the lines that people interpret. I've always said comics are kind of a subjective personality test.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •