Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default If you could make one small change to the continuity of the MCU

Things Fall Apart posted a great game on The Star Wars forum, and I thought it would be fun to do something similar with the MCU.

These forums suggest that fans have varying attitudes about the way MCU films have interpreted their source material (as they should). So how would you have done it differently? To adapt Things Fall Apart's game:

You are allowed to change any ONE thing about the general plan of ONE MCU Phase. You can tweak or substantially alter the basic plan of each, but you have to explain how you think it would impact what's come after. AND everything that happens prior to your change is totally unaffected. Since we're talking about how the MCU has it has been built over the last decade, you can't have Sony or Fox cut their deals any earlier; work with what Feige and Co. had to work with. However, that does mean that the ABC, Netflix, and Hulu properties are all fair game.

So ultimately your change could end up resulting in a butterfly effect, which means you have a lot of writing to do, or it could be something very small.

Feel free to prod and examine other people's changes but let's not attack each other. Also, if you like a change and want to expand on someone else's go for it.

For me:
    Just as The Avengers was the capstone that all Phase 1 built toward, I'd have said the capstone of Phase 2 will be an Avengers versus Masters of Evil film, and the Phase 2 films all have to build towards that. The goal is to do some world building before we start splitting things apart with Civil War, and perhaps introduce a wider array of supervillains into the environment.

Except for postponing Guardian of the Galaxy to Phase 3, this doesn't require us to change any of the Phase 2 films (although heaven knows Thor: The Dark Wold could have used some revision). It does require that we have some loose villains running about at the end of each film. One of A.I.M.'s creations, for example might be Living Laser, or The Ghost. Baron Zemo might be one of the outed Hydra officers, who takes possession of the injured Crossbones after the collapse of the Triskelion, while talking about needing to get to the cell where they're holding Blonsky as swiftly as possible. Kurse's prison break might free a number of Asgardian rebels, including The Enchantress and The Executioner.

Awesome game!

For mine I'd seed the Stark/Pym rivalry a bit earlier (Maybe toss in some references during the Vanko/Stark flashback stuff in Iron Man II). Ant-Man felt kind of tacked on when viewed with the rest of the films (other than GotG which has a better reason for feeling disconnected).

If there were an earlier reference that movie would have felt more integrated and the Falcon/Ant-Man scene would have come across more natural and less like mandatory scene built in solely to get him in the same room with an Avenger.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Iron Man 3:

Tony doesn't destroy all of his suits, because that's stupid considering he clearly has suits in AoU.

Tony doesn't randomly get a surgery to remove the arc reactor. It doesn't add anything and completely butchers the whole plot of Iron Man 2.
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 12-28-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Iron Man 3:

Tony doesn't destroy all of his suit, because that's stupid considering he clearly has suits in AoU.

Tony doesn't randomly get a surgery to remove the arc reactor. It doesn't add anything and completely butchers the whole plot of Iron Man 2.
    I like that. My personal feeling is that Stark (either comic or cinematic) should never quite overcome his medical issues, as it's a constant big spoonful of karma from his previous life to drive his motivations. The only reason to write that scene is that you're ending Tony Stark's story with a ride into the sunset.

Incredible Member

Leave Quicksilver alive. The overprotective brother angle has been interesting in the comics for a long time. His strong feelings about his sister hooking up with the Vision would be great to see on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Leave Quicksilver alive. The overprotective brother angle has been interesting in the comics for a long time. His strong feelings about his sister hooking up with the Vision would be great to see on the big screen.
    I think it would also give Vision and Scarlet witch more to do. They could play up the fact that Pietro doesn't want his sister developing feelings for some synthetic man.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I think it would also give Vision and Scarlet witch more to do. They could play up the fact that Pietro doesn't want his sister developing feelings for some synthetic man.
    I always wondered if that was some agreement between Fox and Marvel? "Fine, but you can only have him this once..."

Iron Man 3:

Tony doesn't destroy all of his suits, because that's stupid considering he clearly has suits in AoU.

And he appears to have the arc reactor back again in Infinity war

Iron Man 3:

I like this. Both are pretty important for Tony but are simply brushed aside like its not a big deal.

I would personally like one change. Let Mandarin twist be false. And Ben Kingsley was playing the actual Mandarin. No Trevor Slattery. I loved the twist. I am not a fan of Mandarin character. But i thought Ben Kingsley was playing an awesome villain. The 'true' Mandarin was boring in my opinion. I rather enjoyed the villains in Iron Man and Iron Man 2. So, while i enjoyed the twist and loved the role of Trevor Slattery i would still prefer him to be the true villain of the film.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 12-30-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Get the TV shows involved with the movies beyond the "that big green guy" and "the dude with the hammer" references. I don't know what, exactly. There's got to be something.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Fantastic Member

also he might also make an intresting adversary and contrast to zemo.

I don't know which phases most movies are from but here we go:

From the get-go, I probably would have avoided any stuff concerning Thanos or the gems at first. Just do a great invidividual movie. For Cap, forget the Red Skull going after the cosmic cube. And you do a different plot for Avengers cause the change I made completely alter what would be in it. Which would be Loki doesn't go after the cube and is not linked to Thanos and is not a lackey like in the Avengers movie. So he invades on his own with all sort of beasts from the nine realms, pull out the midgard serpent too.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    I don't know which phases most movies are from but here we go:

From the get-go, I probably would have avoided any stuff concerning Thanos or the gems at first. Just do a great invidividual movie. For Cap, forget the Red Skull going after the cosmic cube. And you do a different plot for Avengers cause the change I made completely alter what would be in it. Which would be Loki doesn't go after the cube and is not linked to Thanos and is not a lackey like in the Avengers movie. So he invades on his own with all sort of beasts from the nine realms, pull out the midgard serpent too.
    Interesting. Is that something you think needed to be saved for later? One of the strengths of Phase1 was that it created a coherent excuse to Assemble the Avengers, what would you recommend for a substitute for the tesseract?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Interesting. Is that something you think needed to be saved for later? One of the strengths of Phase1 was that it created a coherent excuse to Assemble the Avengers, what would you recommend for a substitute for the tesseract?
    Yea maybe do something where Loki needs something else other than the Tesseract, maybe?

What I would do is have Loki having a greater influence on the Hulk. He sort of influenced him a bit with his staff when he was locked in the Shield hellicarier. But if it were me, Hulk would have been Loki's secret weapon where he goes completely bunkers(not unlike what happened in Avengers 2). Hulk pretty much fights the whole Avengers, not just Thor.

You could also have a battle on various fronts:
    -The beasts/beings from the Nine Realms attack, the Avengers step in but then Hulk fights them.

-At this point, contrary to how they did it in the Thor movies, I would have most Asgardians be Gods/warriors and they come to Earth to help the planet and fight the beasts.

-You could also have Loki use his Asgardian origin to control Hydra. Cause really Hydra were created by former Nazis and these guys are big believers of the Norse Gods. And Loki is like I'm your true God, let's create another Reich! So Hydra would be his foot soldiers. Nick Fury and Shield would be the opposite side of them. I would have a German politician(chosen by Loki) that would be working for Hydra. And he is using his influence to propagate hate. This guy has many task to achieve and one is to put together the super-soldier formula back. By the end of the movie, after the monsters are vanquished and Loki is defeated, after the movie credits, the German politician finally find something that may the serum, it takes the form of a red mist, get some in the face, transform into a hiddeous reddish appearance, we have a new Red Skull.

-Hulk finally "wake up", steps in, and he and Thor beat the living Hell out of the Midgard Serpent. (better than some random cyber alien construct)
    Last edited by Da Boat; 01-01-2018 at 07:14 PM.

BANNED

Erase Civil War and Homecoming from continuity