Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The change I would make hasn't happened yet. Don't be afraid to recast the big guns and continue the current continuity with the timeless heroes. We all love RDJ, but other actors can, in fact, play the role and make it their own.
    The problem is just how much can someone make the Iron Man role their own and still move forward from what the RDJ character laid down? If the next actor tries to mimic RDJ too closely it comes off too much like a bad parody (see Superman Returns). On the other hand I can see Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland each being Spider-man but I can't see them all as the same person (even leaving aside their different physical appearances). I'd rather the MCU simply diverge from the comics (someone else in the armor, Thunderstike as "new Thor", USAgent/Winter Soldier) rather than recasting Tony, Thor, or Steve.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    The problem is just how much can someone make the Iron Man role their own and still move forward from what the RDJ character laid down? If the next actor tries to mimic RDJ too closely it comes off too much like a bad parody (see Superman Returns).
    Well, I think you do it by acting. See Star Trek 2009. Also, I would point to Superman Returns as an example for my point, rather than your. The issues with that film were the story, not the performances.

You don't mimic the previous actor, just like no actor to play Bond ever mimiced the ones before him. You make the character your own and build on it.

I don't like the limitation they placed on the Pym Particles. I can see how it's convenient for them needing to be fully helmeted while using them. but I think they've opened themselves up to a logic gap (yes, I know that size changing is already ridiculous). ex. if their costume is torn during an altercation, can they not return to normal size; what with the exposed skin/breach of the containment suit? that seems like something that is likely to happen, at some point. I'm also surprised that Black Widow's taser blast didn't do more damage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I don't like the limitation they placed on the Pym Particles. I can see how it's convenient for them needing to be fully helmeted while using them. but I think they've opened themselves up to a logic gap (yes, I know that size changing is already ridiculous). ex. if their costume is torn during an altercation, can they not return to normal size; what with the exposed skin/breach of the containment suit? that seems like something that is likely to happen, at some point. I'm also surprised that Black Widow's taser blast didn't do more damage.
    Yes that is a much bigger logic gap than carrying a tank on a keychain

I agree about Blackwidows taser blast not doing more damage. Scott was fine but later those same taser stop BP in his tracks for seconds at a time. Mind you wearing a suit that can take explosions and Mounted Gatlin gun(i assume thats whats on the choppers) without Tchalla even feeling it. I gues Electricity is Tchallas weakness.

I do hope Pym figures out how to make it where Scott doesnt need a power ranger helmet. Whatever reason they come up with will make as much sense as most comicbook science. Just make it as Convoluted as possible so that people like me cant follow it anyway

Yes that is a much bigger logic gap than carrying a tank on a keychain
    charming. the tank followed the same rules as the rest of the inorganic matter; from what I saw. did you see an instance of a shrunken non-organic object being deceptively heavy?

BANNED

charming. the tank followed the same rules as the rest of the inorganic matter; from what I saw. did you see an instance of a shrunken non-organic object being deceptively heavy?
    I saw the explanation of how shrinking works where it was explicitly stated mass didn't change and that was how he could punch hard when he was the size of an ant.

I saw the explanation of how shrinking works where it was explicitly stated mass didn't change and that was how he could punch hard when he was the size of an ant.
    The rules stayed consistent that the shrunk things weigh less. But that causes other problem besides the fact that Hank says in the movie that mass stays the same. Scott runs on the barell of a gun, caught a ride on arrows and ants. So they shouldnt have said mass stays the same. They shoulda used non sense comic logic to explain how your mass shrinks but you retain your strength. Whats the comicbook science given in the comics?

But yea no ant was carrying a 200lb man..

Seen someone say maybe Hank was lying about the tech because shrinking distance between atoms wouldnt allow you to go to the quantom realm and become smaller then an atom. More likely they didnt think it through. Which is weird cause they coulda made nonsense up and said Pym particles somehow shrink objects while letting you retain strength. How? Dont worry about it because w arent explaining it.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 01-02-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    The rules stayed consistent that the shrunk things weigh less. But that causes other problem besides the fact that Hank says in the movie that mass stays the same. Because Scott runs on the barell of a gun, catched a ride on arrows and ants. So they shouldnt have said mass stays the same. They shoulda used non sense comic logic to explain how your mass shrinks but you retain your strength. Whats the comicbook science give in the comics?

personally, I think Pym was bull****ing everyone; for whatever reason. when they shrink, they are exchanging their size for an otherdimensional energy. it's this energy that allows them to hit with unnatural force. likewise, when they grow they exchange something else (maybe speed) for that energy. and will is a factor. when Hope tells him that he has to learn how to not use too much or too little, she's not talking about how hard he swings. it's definitely not about weight. he landed on the record without damaging it. and the ants were able to carry him just fine. but he punched his way out of the vacuum. I think what allowed that was his intent to use his strength to break out.

it's barely been touched upon in the books. but Scott Lang learned how to increase his own strength and durability w/o changing size; using the Pym particles. and they showed that there was connection between the Pym particles and the energy that empowers Simon Williams/Eric Josten/Count Nefaria.

you also heard Pym say that, when you enter the quantum realm, you just continue to shrink for all eternity. I'm pretty sure that he also said that the Ant-Man was just a myth. maybe he's just getting senile. he said that the particles take a toll.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

I would split Civil War into two movies. Leave the Cap/Bucky stuff for his third solo movie. Maybe add in Crossbones and the Serpent Society or the other Winter Soldiers as the antagonists. Then have Zemo, the Accords, and the Civil War as the third Avengers. That way, each plot has a full movie to develop, instead of having to share screentime with each other.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

The problem is just how much can someone make the Iron Man role their own and still move forward from what the RDJ character laid down? If the next actor tries to mimic RDJ too closely it comes off too much like a bad parody (see Superman Returns). On the other hand I can see Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland each being Spider-man but I can't see them all as the same person (even leaving aside their different physical appearances). I'd rather the MCU simply diverge from the comics (someone else in the armor, Thunderstike as "new Thor", USAgent/Winter Soldier) rather than recasting Tony, Thor, or Steve.
    Ya but what do you do wean the replacements mov on? Replace again? Over and over as long as the MCU lasts?

I tweak I'd make is to not kill off so many of the villains in the movies. Have enough survive for a Masters of Evil throwdown with the Avengers down the line.

BANNED

Keanu Reeves should be the next Tony Stark

Actually the replacing of the heroes with new characters I don't mind that much cause it avoids the annoying habit of recasting all the time like they did with Hulk and Spider-Man.

For example I'd rather they do an Avengers movie where most of the Avengers are no more, where Kang attacks the planet and someone race against Kang in time to recruit a new Avengers team and bring forth a young Howard Stark from the past and bring him in the present day and he becomes a new Iron Man. It would explain the change in personality, plus it's not a reboot, it keeps the same continuity. Furthermore it's something that would be interesting to see. He would be less comedic and more of a Howard Hughes/Victor Newman-type yet given it's 2018 + it would lead to comedic situations on their own. (Also it opens the possibilities of bringing new heroes from different time periods like Black Knight, maybe the Red Baron, Kazar(without the Savage Land backstory), Two-Gun kid, etc...)