Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Thanos #14 Spoilers/Discussion

Yet another incredible issue of an amazing story arch! I mean, WOW, this issue was awesome on so many levels. I firmly believe that Cates will go down as one of the all-time best writers of Thanos. These last two issues have been nothing short of epic! Now, let us get on to the story.

-------------------------------WARNING: SPOILERS---------------------

The issue begins with Thanos birth on Titan, with his mother Sui-San. It is revealed that Sui-San went insane not solely by looking upon him, but when she said the name "Thanos", a name that she did not intend to be his real chosen name, when she looked into his eyes and gazed in the eyes of a universal constant, Death.

The upcoming double-page spread reveals bits of Thanos history: wielding the Infinity Gauntlet; confronting Galactus and strangling Mephisto in Infinity Gauntlet; his rivalry with Adam Warlock; battling Odin on Asgard; being attacked by Drax during the Annihilation event; being imprisoned in living death by Thane; etc.

The next double page spread shows King Thanos, whose power has grown immense over the years, killing and/or defeating a variety of formidable adversaries: the X-Men; the Avengers; the Shi'ar Imperial Guard; the Guardians of the Galaxy; Old King Thor and the Maestro Hulk.

On a desolate Earth, King Thanos stands over the bodies of numerous powerful beings: The Watcher; Infinity; Love & Hate; Franklin Richards and Galactus; the Living Tribunal.

King Thanos is confronted by the seemingly last ones to challenge his might, the Celestials. After handily killing Black Bolt with a blade, King Thanos unleashed a burst of raw power so tremendous that it handily annihilates the Celestials.

From the bones of the Celestials Thanos builds his tower, using the helmet encased skull of Galactus as his throne. It is here where we last left off on the previous issue where our current day Thanos confronts King Thanos.

Thanos attacks King Thanos, declaring him to be a pretender and demands that KT fight him. King Thanos states that he did not bring him to the future to fight, to which Thanos retorts that he should not have brought him here. Cosmic Ghost Rider steps in, trying to dissuade Thanos from fighting King Thanos, only for Thanos to grab him and nearly kill him before King Thanos says something that briefly stops Thanos from killing Cosmic Ghost Rider:

"NO! Please! Please... I need your help."

This enrages Thanos, who knocks King Thanos clear out of his tower to land a vast distance away on the planet. However, King Thanos is more amused than anything else, uttering "Magnificent" before Thanos resumes to land and attack. Thanos berates King Thanos, proclaiming that by begging KT is no king and no Thanos.

Then, King Thanos utterly and effortlessly one-shots Thanos with a powerful blast of cosmic energies from his hand that sends the Mad Titan soaring off into the distance. It is then our young, current day Thanos realizes that this truly is older, far more powerful self, which is then only further indicated when King Thanos speaks Thanos' true name, the one his mother Sui-San had chosen for him before she went insane. A name she had spoken to only to Thanos on the day she died.

"Dione."

It is then that Thanos decides to align himself with King Thanos. He inquires what KT needs his help with. King Thanos says he has lost someone, and he needs his younger self to get them back. Thanos inquires who it is, which KT retorts with "Who do you think?".

And in the landscape, standing within a Nile of blood, is a massive statue of Mistress Death.

Loved it...

This was full of awesome, mad, cosmic goodness.

Although Thanos would not defeat Thor

BANNED

Cates' first Thanos issue was incredible. But this one was even more mind-blowing. Man, this comic is good. Cates' Doctor Strange seems to be getting more attention at the moment but as great as that is, this is every bit as ass kicking. So glad that Marvel signed this guy to an exclusive.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    This was full of awesome, mad, cosmic goodness.

Although Thanos would not defeat Thor
    Actually, He would (specially this Thanos) easily.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post
    Yet another incredible issue of an amazing story arch! I mean, WOW, this issue was awesome on so many levels. I firmly believe that Cates will go down as one of the all-time best writers of Thanos. These last two issues have been nothing short of epic! Now, let us get on to the story.

The issue begins with Thanos birth on Titan, with his mother Sui-San. It is revealed that Sui-San went insane not solely by looking upon him, but when she said the name "Thanos", a name that she did not intend to be his real chosen name, when she looked into his eyes and gazed in the eyes of a universal constant, Death.

The upcoming double-page spread reveals bits of Thanos history: wielding the Infinity Gauntlet; confronting Galactus and strangling Mephisto in Infinity Gauntlet; his rivalry with Adam Warlock; battling Odin on Asgard; being attacked by Drax during the Annihilation event; being imprisoned in living death by Thane; etc.

The next double page spread shows King Thanos, whose power has grown immense over the years, killing and/or defeating a variety of formidable adversaries: the X-Men; the Avengers; the Shi'ar Imperial Guard; the Guardians of the Galaxy; Old King Thor and the Maestro Hulk.

On a desolate Earth, King Thanos stands over the bodies of numerous powerful beings: The Watcher; Infinity; Love & Hate; Franklin Richards and Galactus; the Living Tribunal.

King Thanos is confronted by the seemingly last ones to challenge his might, the Celestials. After handily killing Black Bolt with a blade, King Thanos unleashed a burst of raw power so tremendous that it handily annihilates the Celestials.

From the bones of the Celestials Thanos builds his tower, using the helmet encased skull of Galactus as his throne. It is here where we last left off on the previous issue where our current day Thanos confronts King Thanos.

Thanos attacks King Thanos, declaring him to be a pretender and demands that KT fight him. King Thanos states that he did not bring him to the future to fight, to which Thanos retorts that he should not have brought him here. Cosmic Ghost Rider steps in, trying to dissuade Thanos from fighting King Thanos, only for Thanos to grab him and nearly kill him before King Thanos says something that briefly stops Thanos from killing Cosmic Ghost Rider:

"NO! Please! Please... I need your help."

This enrages Thanos, who knocks King Thanos clear out of his tower to land a vast distance away on the planet. However, King Thanos is more amused than anything else, uttering "Magnificent" before Thanos resumes to land and attack. Thanos berates King Thanos, proclaiming that by begging KT is no king and no Thanos.

Then, King Thanos utterly and effortlessly one-shots Thanos with a powerful blast of cosmic energies from his hand that sends the Mad Titan soaring off into the distance. It is then our young, current day Thanos realizes that this truly is older, far more powerful self, which is then only further indicated when King Thanos speaks Thanos' true name, the one his mother Sui-San had chosen for him before she went insane. A name she had spoken to only to Thanos on the day she died.

"Dione."

It is then that Thanos decides to align himself with King Thanos. He inquires what KT needs his help with. King Thanos says he has lost someone, and he needs his younger self to get them back. Thanos inquires who it is, which KT retorts with "Who do you think?".

And in the landscape, standing within a Nile of blood, is a massive statue of Mistress Death.
    Fantastic stuff, Greenscar! You forgot to mention that King Thanos had the Power Cosmic, too!

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Thanos gains ultimate power and defeats everyone, and there are some who question that Brevoort ripped Starlin off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    Thanos gains ultimate power and defeats everyone, and there are some who question that Brevoort ripped Starlin off.
    Breevort didn't rip anyone off. Starlin claims that a storyline from Donny Cates is similar to what Starlin planned for an OGN and that he feels Breevort shouldn't have approved Cates' storyline knowing what Starlin had planned.

As Breevort isn't going to publicly squabble about internal matters, we'll never know the exact details and clearly both sides see the conflict differently but even Starlin isn't talking about being "ripped off".

It will be interesting to read Jim Starlins Infinity Siblings and find out for ourselves where it is similar to Donny Cates' Thanos wins story arc.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post

I got the impression that he got Black Bolt to scream (by mortally wounding him) and that's what obliterated the Celestials.

Amazing Member

Huge Thanos fan here but this is extremely poorly written.

When Starlin has Thanos occasionally do things at this absurd power level, there are significant boosts and reasons which are developed over long periods of time. You don't just kill the Tribunal and Galactus like this. Moreover, Black Bolt could scream from now until the end of time and he would NOTHING to an army of Celestials.

It's this kind of thing which makes me feel Marvel is written by some teenage fans more often than not these days.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Banner View Post
    Actually, He would (specially this Thanos) easily.
    I agree Thanos typically would beat Thor. I disagree that he would defeat King Thor.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by roni190 View Post
    I got the impression that he got Black Bolt to scream (by mortally wounding him) and that's what obliterated the Celestials.
    Not possible. At most he could crack their armor. There is zero possibility Black Bolt would have the power to kill a Celestial.

Hmmm. Okay, I frickin' love these books so far by the way.

But is there anyone here that is just a little disappointed that it seem the "Final King" is trying to get Thanos to make inroads back to Lady Death?

Honestly, I thought it was total boss move to drop her like a hot potato. Beautiful really. Get sick of her messing with Thanos' mind.

I get the feeling this will be pitched (Death and Thanos) as some sort of "cosmic consonance" sort of thing, yin and ying, can't have one without the other.

Meh. I like the blank look on Lady Death's face when Thanos was like, "Get the f**k out of here."

Honestly, that was long over due.

Astonishing Member

This is one of the best series Marvel's putting out right now

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    Huge Thanos fan here but this is extremely poorly written.

When Starlin has Thanos occasionally do things at this absurd power level, there are significant boosts and reasons which are developed over long periods of time. You don't just kill the Tribunal and Galactus like this. Moreover, Black Bolt could scream from now until the end of time and he would NOTHING to an army of Celestials.

It's this kind of thing which makes me feel Marvel is written by some teenage fans more often than not these days.
    It wasn't Black Bolt's power that killed the Celestials. It was King Thanos own power that annihilated them. For one, Black Bolt's head/face was down and not directed at them. And secondly, King Thanos was right in front of BB while he butchered/impaled him. Thirdly, BB could scream for all eternity and still wouldn't harm a single Celestial, let alone a group.

Besides, the writer Donny Cates, when inquired about whether it was King Thanos' power or Black Bolt's that killed the Celestials, Galactus, Living Tribunal, the Watcher, Love and Hate, and all the other cosmic abstracts/beings, he simply replied "keep reading". But I think it's quite apparent that it was King Thanos' power that annihilated all of the Celestials and other vastly powerful beings. And it further hints that the writer would eventually explain how Thanos continued to become so powerful and was able to defeat the Celestials, Galactus, the Living Tribunal and the rest of the high-end cosmics with his own power.

For all we know, King Thanos may have the power of an omniverse or omniverses. He may have even killed the Beyonders and Molecule Man and taken the power to enhance his own staggering might before going forth to dispatch the Living Tribunal, Galactus, Celestials and other high-end beings.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Not possible. At most he could crack their armor. There is zero possibility Black Bolt would have the power to kill a Celestial.
    If even that. Those laid out dead around King Thanos were far, far, FAR more powerful than Black Bolt could ever hope to be. In their presence, and the Celestials, BB is less than nothing. So, yes, I firmly believe that it was King Thanos own power that annihilated the Celestials. I mean, when comparing the energy of King Thanos casually one-shotting Thanos and the blast that killed the Celestials, the energy unleashed in exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Hmmm. Okay, I frickin' love these books so far by the way.

But is there anyone here that is just a little disappointed that it seem the "Final King" is trying to get Thanos to make inroads back to Lady Death?

Honestly, I thought it was total boss move to drop her like a hot potato. Beautiful really. Get sick of her messing with Thanos' mind.

I get the feeling this will be pitched (Death and Thanos) as some sort of "cosmic consonance" sort of thing, yin and ying, can't have one without the other.

Meh. I like the blank look on Lady Death's face when Thanos was like, "Get the f**k out of here."

Honestly, that was long over due.

King Thanos intentions towards Mistress Death are what should be questioned. Is he seeking her out of love and a desire to be with her... or does he have vengeance and ulterior motives in mind? That is what I, and the rest of us, should be contemplating.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    This is one of the best series Marvel's putting out right now
    Yes, it most certainly is and I cannot wait for the next issue!