Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Eh, it all feel a bit rushed to me.

Cates clearly has a story he wants to tell, but to get to that bit, he's rushed over some of the more interesting parts of the set up itself - I'd personally like to know how Thanos got this powerful, and just getting older doesnt do it for me as an explanation. Thanos himself has admitted previously he isnt on Galactus' power level, but here, he's obliterated Galactus and the other cosmic entities and then a Celestial host to boot - with no external macguffin present? All seemed a bit much.

It's a bit jarring to go from Lemire's very carefully plotted slow building style to this much faster paced style.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post

Cates clearly has a story he wants to tell, but to get to that bit, he's rushed over some of the more interesting parts of the set up itself - I'd personally like to know how Thanos got this powerful, and just getting older doesnt do it for me as an explanation. Thanos himself has admitted previously he isnt on Galactus' power level, but here, he's obliterated Galactus and the other cosmic entities and then a Celestial host to boot - with no external macguffin present? All seemed a bit much.

It's a bit jarring to go from Lemire's very carefully plotted slow building style to this much faster paced style.
    I think you'll find Donny Cates has extablished King Thanos as where he is at now.
    In upcoming issues I feel Cates will visit some of these feats that have been showcased
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post
    King Thanos intentions towards Mistress Death are what should be questioned. Is he seeking her out of love and a desire to be with her... or does he have vengeance and ulterior motives in mind? That is what I, and the rest of us, should be contemplating.

Good point. I'm really hoping for the latter.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I love paradoxes. King Thanos is from an alternate timeline, then? Otherwise, the older Thanos would already know how this turns out. That's always the case when you go back into time to interact with your younger counterpart.

Wait, Thanos is Dione? As in the name of several Greek goddesses? As in Dionne Warwick??? Interesting. That's it: I'm going to call him War-Wick from now on. So shall it be written, so shall it be done.

BANNED

men my interest decreased when lady death was shown. She shouldn't be the lodestone of thanos existence and even if she was then this doesn't jibe with thanos getting together with Hela in unworthy Thor. I was hoping more of a story where a unknown threat had risen one which has emerged due to the void created by the demise of the higher cosmic powers like the darkness of the necrosha sword or the void.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I agree Thanos typically would beat Thor. I disagree that he would defeat King Thor.
    This Thanos killed Galactus, Celestials and Abstracts. He would beat king thor, who's nothing compared to them, with a hand behind his back. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    men my interest decreased when lady death was shown. She shouldn't be the lodestone of thanos existence and even if she was then this doesn't jibe with thanos getting together with Hela in unworthy Thor. I was hoping more of a story where a unknown threat had risen one which has emerged due to the void created by the demise of the higher cosmic powers like the darkness of the necrosha sword or the void.
    I totally agree with you.

Love this issue. Might be the best so far.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Banner View Post
    This Thanos killed Galactus, Celestials and Abstracts. He would beat king thor, who's nothing compared to them, with a hand behind his back. It's that simple.
    We don't know HOW King Thanos did what he did and we've already established that King Thor is a match for Galactus.

Amazing Member

It wasn't Black Bolt's power that killed the Celestials. It was King Thanos own power that annihilated them. For one, Black Bolt's head/face was down and not directed at them. And secondly, King Thanos was right in front of BB while he butchered/impaled him. Thirdly, BB could scream for all eternity and still wouldn't harm a single Celestial, let alone a group.

Besides, the writer Donny Cates, when inquired about whether it was King Thanos' power or Black Bolt's that killed the Celestials, Galactus, Living Tribunal, the Watcher, Love and Hate, and all the other cosmic abstracts/beings, he simply replied "keep reading". But I think it's quite apparent that it was King Thanos' power that annihilated all of the Celestials and other vastly powerful beings. And it further hints that the writer would eventually explain how Thanos continued to become so powerful and was able to defeat the Celestials, Galactus, the Living Tribunal and the rest of the high-end cosmics with his own power.

For all we know, King Thanos may have the power of an omniverse or omniverses. He may have even killed the Beyonders and Molecule Man and taken the power to enhance his own staggering might before going forth to dispatch the Living Tribunal, Galactus, Celestials and other high-end beings.

If even that. Those laid out dead around King Thanos were far, far, FAR more powerful than Black Bolt could ever hope to be. In their presence, and the Celestials, BB is less than nothing. So, yes, I firmly believe that it was King Thanos own power that annihilated the Celestials. I mean, when comparing the energy of King Thanos casually one-shotting Thanos and the blast that killed the Celestials, the energy unleashed in exactly the same.

King Thanos intentions towards Mistress Death are what should be questioned. Is he seeking her out of love and a desire to be with her... or does he have vengeance and ulterior motives in mind? That is what I, and the rest of us, should be contemplating.

Yes, it most certainly is and I cannot wait for the next issue!
    So Black Bolt had nothing to do with it but he just happens to scream right before the celestials are killed? Perhaps, though maybe Cates got some backlash and backpedaled a bit. I'll keep reading, yes because as I said, I have always loved Thanos. I'll give it some time before setting my judgement in stone but after Hickman and others abusing history and lore, I am conditioned to expect the worst from many younger writers.

Usually, I wait for explanations and they don't really come. So anyone who has a decent memory and who has been around and reads Marvel these days is all too often out of luck.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    We don't know HOW King Thanos did what he did and we've already established that King Thor is a match for Galactus.
    Of course that could be an entirely separate universe. I mean, honestly, Galactus, being a Universal/Multiversal/Omniversal constant, should be more than powerful enough to one-shot or easily deal with even the most powerful Skyfather. The only way OKT hurt him was with the necro-sword, and that felt cheap and unrealistic given that Galactus has endured/survived far more powerful & worse than the necro-sword and a Skyfather.

And to be equally honest, I did not like Jason Aaron's treatment of Galactus at all. Everything was wrong. And then being killed/eaten by Ego the Living planet who absorbed the necro-sword? It all feels like bad writing on JA's part. He shouldn't be allowed to write cosmic characters. Look at how mediocre/horrible his Thanos Rising & Original Sin are. Bleh!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    It will be interesting to read Jim Starlins Infinity Siblings and find out for ourselves where it is similar to Donny Cates' Thanos wins story arc.
    Wasn't Starlin supposed to be putting out a trilogy of Thanos OGNs? I know he's left Marvel over this disagreement, and they still plan on releasing the first OGN, but aren't we going to miss out on the conclusion of the story, or all three already written and coming out?

BANNED

Of course that could be an entirely separate universe. I mean, honestly, Galactus, being a Universal/Multiversal/Omniversal constant, should be more than powerful enough to one-shot or easily deal with even the most powerful Skyfather. The only way OKT hurt him was with the necro-sword, and that felt cheap and unrealistic given that Galactus has endured/survived far more powerful & worse than the necro-sword and a Skyfather.

And to be equally honest, I did not like Jason Aaron's treatment of Galactus at all. Everything was wrong. And then being killed/eaten by Ego the Living planet who absorbed the necro-sword? It all feels like bad writing on JA's part. He shouldn't be allowed to write cosmic characters. Look at how mediocre/horrible his Thanos Rising & Original Sin are. Bleh!
    I couldn't agree more!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post

Well, the dialog did state that Thanos grew stronger over time...

'Ya gotta love Thanos!