Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jedi vs Sith

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Not really? Dooku was beaten "clean" by an improved Anakin, with the implication being Obi Wan had also improved during this period. And still Yoda outright told him he wasn't good enough to take on Palpatine. But he does get into an extended saber + force duel with Anakin without him managing to overpower Kenobi like he did Dooku.
    One might think that it's almost like they have different fighting styles or something, which are better matched for certain tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    One might think that it's almost like they have different fighting styles or something, which are better matched for certain tasks.
    This is pretty much what I was thinking...
    That and Obi is intimately aware of Anakins style and personality on top of that.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    This is pretty much what I was thinking...
    That and Obi is intimately aware of Anakins style and personality on top of that.
    He had the high ground.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Before I go further, how much time passes between killing Dooku and the final fight? Are you implying that Obi Wan gained vast improvements during the beginning and end of that movie?
    Not any more than anakin between barely matching Dooku with Obi Wan and overpowering him. Seems more like the two droids' interference cost him more than anything. Obi Wan is clearly the equal of Anakin even as an old man

Not any more than anakin between barely matching Dooku with Obi Wan and overpowering him. Seems more like the two droids' interference cost him more than anything. Obi Wan is clearly the equal of Anakin even as an old man
    We clearly have very different ideas of the word "interference".

https://youtu.be/eYT3ctPuVRw
    So called "interference" at 1:38.

He blazes through the droids like they aren't even there and closes distance and takes a swing before, surprise surprise, getting casually knocked away once again. That was the theme of the 2 on 1 portion of that fight. Dooku can barely create separation from Anakin but keeps finding openings to repel Obi.

Also saying he kept up as an old man doesn't mean much when Vader himself is basically walking around in an advanced iron lung. Neither were in peak health.

Styles make fights even in modern real world combat sports. ABC logic doesn't really work when one of the combatants involved has a deep and personal understanding of their opponents fighting style.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Please note all combatants are at peak capacity. Also Palpatine only "beat" Yoda with a situational advantage. Also Obi Wan beat Maul and was later able to match Anakin in an extended duel even before *high ground*, the same Anakin that beat Dooku
    Also this. How legit, after watching Obi "beat" Maul do you think that victory was? Considering the huge PIS involved with Maul opting to create sparks and snicker instead of yknow doing literally anything useful to kill the guy? Or how he stood there mouth agape as Obi performed a huge series of flips and overcame his "high ground" advantage while Maul again did nothing beyond turning around during that time?

https://youtu.be/yHqdESArkqU
    4:15
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 12-29-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    - big_adventure