Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

I don't go to see movies because of musical scores.

Yes musical scores are incredibly important to a film, but you don't know what to expect till you see the film.

This was a trailer. Trailers are just to get you to a theater and don't really do a fair representation of the film (good or bad).

If you are really that interested in what the music is just wait till the songs are released than you can properly judge for yourself.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    As for "One You Probably Know..."
    Nah - But I've only seen that film once - probably about 20 years ago. The music is pretty good though.

Mighty Member

... I could have sworn that trailer music for movies like these don’t reflect on the film’s soundtrack... Especially since most people can agree that the music from the Thor trailers “doesn’t count”.

While people are expecting the music from the Lion King, I’m sure there will be plenty of diverse orchestrated tracks going on during the movie itself.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Nah - But I've only seen that film once - probably about 20 years ago. The music is pretty good though.
    One other thing about this...

If you should come across either Darkman or Nightbreed, Elfman was in on them too. From what you thought was decent so far, his work on those two films might be worth a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One other thing about this...

If you should come across either Darkman or Nightbreed, Elfman was in on them too. From what you thought was decent so far, his work on those two films might be worth a listen.
    I'm not really into listening to film scores. They're great in films, but that's enough for me.

Oh, no. Not really "Track These Soundtracks Down ASAP!". More "If You Should Decide To Watch Either Of Those Films, Keep An Ear Out."

Ah, gotcha

I got back a couple of hours ago from watching the movie, and I'm interested to see if any concerns from this thread came true to anyone?

I quite enjoyed the soundtrack and visuals.

BANNED

This thread is honestly gross and if not racist then it is at least classist.

The fact that after decades of the genre being around that there is STILL a stigma around rap music sickens me.

It started out as poetry back in the 1930s and birthed into spoken word poetry in chicago and new york, but the fact that black people revolutionized it has created a stigma that has stuck to it ever since, that rap is "trashy" and shouldn't be taken seriously for serious movies.

there is NOTHING WRONG WITH RAP!!!! IT IS A GENRE THAT SHOULD BE TAKEN JUST AS SERIOUSLY AS ANY OTHER!!! YOU RACIST OLD HEAD!!!

The release of Black Panther is meant to be impactful for black culture; what better to represent black culture than one of the greatest black genres of all time? Rap.

Get the **** over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    This thread is honestly gross and if not racist then it is at least classist.

The fact that after decades of the genre being around that there is STILL a stigma around rap music sickens me.

It started out as poetry back in the 1930s and birthed into spoken word poetry in chicago and new york, but the fact that black people revolutionized it has created a stigma that has stuck to it ever since, that rap is "trashy" and shouldn't be taken seriously for serious movies.

there is NOTHING WRONG WITH RAP!!!! IT IS A GENRE THAT SHOULD BE TAKEN JUST AS SERIOUSLY AS ANY OTHER!!! YOU RACIST OLD HEAD!!!

The release of Black Panther is meant to be impactful for black culture; what better to represent black culture than one of the greatest black genres of all time? Rap.

Get the **** over it.
    I think you misunderstand the OP's point. Unless I'm mistaken, it's not that there's anything wrong with rap music. It's that the film is set in Africa, but the music on the soundtrack album is black American music rather than African.

Having watched the film a couple of days ago though, I think they OP will be very happy with the music that actually appears in the film.

I don't think i am going to hear the soundtrack as part of 'my music'. But i loved it in the film. It really complemented the film itself. That's what i expect from music of a film. If its good enough to hear on its own that's great. A bonus.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I saw Black Panther yesterday and loved it, thought it was a great movie. Meanwhile, the music was the dead LAST thing I paid any attention to, hell, I was more interested in when Stan Lee would show up for his cameo than the soundtrack.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I think you misunderstand the OP's point. Unless I'm mistaken, it's not that there's anything wrong with rap music. It's that the film is set in Africa, but the music on the soundtrack album is black American music rather than African.

Having watched the film a couple of days ago though, I think they OP will be very happy with the music that actually appears in the film.
    I have a friend who saw the movie a week ago. And from their opinion of the music. It seems my concerns are completely washed away. And that the movie itself will end up in my DVD collection.

So the issue is done for me.

I love soul, blues, jazz, and many other genres of music that originated from african american culture.

However. Over the last few decades. The dominance of rap has become too overwhelming. To the point that it has come to drown out nearly every style and genre of music that competes with it for an audience. And frankly, I'm just sick of it. Just as I am sick of electronica.

I want musical diversity in my life.

As for the accusations of racism given earlier in the thread? They are utter hogwash. I don't dislike rap because it originates from african american culture. I dislike it because it is like fingernails on a chalkboard to to me. And that no matter where I go in american society, I can't seem to escape it.
    Last edited by Darrin Kelley; 02-24-2018 at 09:43 AM.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...riginal-score/

A little research goes a long way, sometimes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...riginal-score/

A little research goes a long way, sometimes.
    Look at the date that article was posted. Then compare it to the date this thread started.

It was impossible to do the research you cite when that article didn't exist when this thread started,