Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Or perhaps as having Led Zeppelin in a trailer about space vikings? Or Black Sabbath song about a lonely robot out for revenge in Iron Man's movie?
    Nope, doesnt count. space vikings are aliens. Aliens like rock so its ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the Black Panther. But I am now completely unlikely to see the movie. And I will explain why.

The soundtrack. It is nothing I expected to hear when watching a movie about a heroic African king. What I expected in such a movie would be music from the many and varied cultures of Africa itself.

But instead? What do we get? Rap. American rap. Which has nothing to do with the identity and culture of the character itself. And I count that as a truly wasted opportunity.

I loved the introduction of the Black Panther in Captain America: Civil War. They nailed the depiction of the character spot on. I couldn't ask for better.

But in a full on Black Panther feature, I expect more than what we got. I expect the sights and sounds of Wakanda itself to be front and center. That the culture which is so dominant in the story get properly represented.

And frankly. With Disney involved. I expected better. Because they have a vast background with music from the different and varied cultures around the world.
    Like some movies in the past, there might be a separate soundtrack (with songs) and a separate (orchestral) score for the Black Panther movie.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    Aliens are smart if they like Led Zep!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    And there's real life Africans who like hip-hop! Everyone wins!

Every blerd I know has lost their s*** at every piece of promotional material for this film, the soundtrack included. I've heard not one negative. And the white nerds I know are giving affirming responses as well, in the Sir Mixalot vein of, "even white boys got to shout."

So, no, I don't think Disney are dropping anything. I've seen nothing but hyped fans, and Marvel's track record is largely good on its films.

If anything, their mistake will be making it look too good in previews and not delivering on a final product, but I trust 'em.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Every blerd I know has lost their s*** at every piece of promotional material for this film, the soundtrack included. I've heard not one negative. And the white nerds I know are giving affirming responses as well, in the Sir Mixalot vein of, "even white boys got to shout."

So, no, I don't think Disney are dropping anything. I've seen nothing but hyped fans, and Marvel's track record is largely good on its films.

If anything, their mistake will be making it look too good in previews and not delivering on a final product, but I trust 'em.
    I wouldn't go that far. I've seen negative reactions, although I don't put a lot of stock in the ones I've seen.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

Ehhh.... It sah-ight, it cool, it work. Not like that RTJ tho.

Oddly enough that was the first time I realized it back in the day. That Elfman score didn't come out the same time as Prince's soundtrack did and was a bitch to find too. It had that great CD photo when the Batwing hung in front of the moon.
    I thought Elfman's score was great. I only knew of him from Oingo Boingo. My favorite is the piece he does when Batman takes Vicki Vale home in the Batmobile after they escape from the Joker in the museum attack.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-01-2018 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Added Kim Bassinger's character name

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I thought Elfman's score was great. I only knew of him from Oingo Boingo. My favorite is the piece he does when Batman takes her home in the Batmobile after they escape from the Joker in the museum attack.
    Elfman's B89 score was better than great. At this point, even though there are still miles of work between them, Elfman is right under John Williams as the next best master film composer. Crazy part is as an 80s kid and I wouldn't know an Oingo Boingo record to save my life.

I'm still partial to the Batman Returns score even though parts of the main theme was still there. Much of the strings used for the Penguin and Catwoman themes I feel are similar in it but it all just jives so great with the winter theme.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member

Disney is failing because they put artists on the Black Panther soundtrack that are as close to can't miss as you can get in the Hip-Hop world in the present time?

Man, Nerd Logic will be the death of me.

Astonishing Member

That's a huge leap.

Now if there's tons of rap music being played in the actual movie itself, then that can be seen as an possible criticism for the movie depending upon your point of view, but there's tons of movies that play completely different type of music in the trailer in comparison to the one in the movie.

I'd still recommend seeing the movie just to see how the music is in the film. Sounds like soundtrack plays a heavy portion in your movie enjoyment.

The song in the Black Panther trailer was dope

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I'd still recommend seeing the movie just to see how the music is in the film. Sounds like soundtrack plays a heavy portion in your movie enjoyment.
    It does. In this case. It certainly does.

Wakanda is a dynamic country. But still a straight up African country. I definitely prefer that the music of the movie be reflective of the culture it is spotlighting. I want to see African musicians showcased above all else in this movie.

In my opinion. Putting stuff in the soundtrack that has no cultural connection is just drowning out the atmosphere of the movie with irrelevancies. And I believe the Black Panther movie deserves better treatment than that.

It needs to concentrate like a laser on how awesome Wakanda is. And how awesome the Black Panther is. I want it to be one of the greatest Marvel movies yet.This is a huge opportunity And I want it to shine!

I'm going to say it. Hip-Hop isn't African. It has exactly zero to do with the culture the character comes from. It just plain doesn't belong there.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Wakanda is a dynamic country. But still a straight up African country. I definitely prefer that the music of the movie be reflective of the culture it is spotlighting. I want to see African musicians showcased above all else in this movie.

In my opinion. Putting stuff in the soundtrack that has no cultural connection is just drowning out the atmosphere of the movie with irrelevancies. And I believe the Black Panther movie deserves better treatment than that.

It needs to concentrate like a laser on how awesome Wakanda is. And how awesome the Black Panther is. I want it to be one of the greatest Marvel movies yet.This is a huge opportunity And I want it to shine!

I'm going to say it. Hip-Hop isn't African. It has exactly zero to do with the culture the character comes from. It just plain doesn't belong there.
    In the Cinematic Marvel Universe, Hip Hop was invented in Wakanda and then stolen by the white supervillain, Vanilla Ice.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Newsflash: Wakanda. Does. Not. Exist. It’s make believe. So who gives a rip about the music from the soundtrack?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

You're talking like there were always tomatoes in Italy.