Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I think the only Marvel movies to have a soundtrack aside from the score were GotG, right?
    Lest we forget this banger:

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post

I meant MCU but yes I remember the Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 soundtracks.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    Or this banger:

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I meant MCU but yes I remember the Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 soundtracks.
    I know, but you know.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Does Darrin think people in Africa only listen to traditional music? The biggest Tupac fan I've met in life was my first year college roommate from Khartoum.
    I was born and raised mostly in Nigeria and can attest that the biggest styles are Afrobeat, hip hop, and reggae. In fact, the latter has impacted West African music deeply and is reflected in current Afrobeat. There's some ongoing debate about that thinning line, especially when you look at artists like Wizkid who frequently merges the two. African music is arguably the most diverse on Earth so no, we don't just listen to "traditional" music, that assumption is stereotypical and faux "woke". But then again, not all Africans are alike so I probably shouldn't speak for people on the other side of the continent

But Wakanda is supposed to be culturally distinct from the West, so it'd be cool if the musical score reflected that. Pulling from sounds from across the continent is smart and something we have been told will happen, so there's no reason to be worried about that. As for the actual album, I'd like a mixture of music from across the diaspora, which include hip hop.
    Last edited by chief12d; 01-05-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Do you know any Africans? Hip-hop isn't limited to the US even though it started here. Not to mention the modern styles from the continent such as Afrobeat.
    Exactly.

There’s a MASSIVE hip-hop movement in Africa.

Guys like Wizkid have even broken into the charts in the US.

Well, if they got also inspirations from Sun Ra, Kelan Phil Cohran or Underground Resistance and Carl Craig, I would be pleased.

And Konono N°1.

And Greg Tate's Burnt Sugar.

(Ok it won't happen, t it would be part of my take on Wakandan music...)

- To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Incredible Member

Does Darrin think people in Africa only listen to traditional music? The biggest Tupac fan I've met in life was my first year college roommate from Khartoum.
    I think that Africa has a lot of diversity in their native musical styles. Diversity that can too easily can get watered down or blatantly ignored in favor of American hip-hop and rap.

I view the Black Panther movie as a chance for those African voices to be heard. Far and wide. Front and center. Which is how I believe it should be.

I seriously don't get some of the people here. I'm arguing for proper cultural representation. And instead am getting static for it.

If the artists involved in the production of the soundtrack are all African in origin. All of the personal concerns and issues I brought up would be at an end.
    Last edited by Darrin Kelley; 01-07-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    I think that Africa has a lot of diversity in their native musical styles. Diversity that can too easily can get watered down or blatantly ignored in favor of American hip-hop and rap.

I view the Black Panther movie as a chance for those African voices to be heard. Far and wide. Front and center. Which is how I believe it should be.

I seriously don't get some of the people here. I'm arguing for proper cultural representation. And instead am getting static for it.

If the artists involved in the production of the soundtrack are all African in origin. All of the personal concerns and issues I brought up would be at an end.

Dude if you're not going to see the movie because of the sound track, then you weren't going to see it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post

Just so I can wrap my brain around this, are you saying that a static, unchanging monolith is the only way to properly represent a place's culture?

The theme to Batman '89 is a pretty big one.
    I just checked it out on YouTube. It rang a vague bell, but that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Anyway, when I think Elfman I always go the Beetlejuice main theme even more than Batman or even the Simpsons.
    I didn't realise he'd done The Simpsons. That one is properly memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah, Batman's title theme is easily identifiable to me. I even like Elfman's score for PeeWee's Big Adventure. It suited the film perfectly.
    Unless I am recalling it all wrong, that was the first film Elfman had ever scored and he didn't have the first clue how to go about it.

As for "One You Probably Know..."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Just so I can wrap my brain around this, are you saying that a static, unchanging monolith is the only way to properly represent a place's culture?
    In no way have a made that claim.

Fair enough.

Is there any role that rap music can play in a twenty-first century Wakanda where the leader has obviously spent a fair amount of time outside of the country?