Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    The one thing to keep in mind about Batman is that the guy who mapped these out is using Detective Comics #327 (first yellow oval) as the first appearance of the Silver Age Batman. That isn’t actually the case — ‘Tec 327 was published in 1964, well into DC’s Silver Age. (Barry Allen, aka “harbinger of the Silver Age,” had been around for almost 8 years at that point!) it’s tempting to use the yellow oval as the Golden/Silver Age divider for Batman (hence why people do it), but it just doesn’t work. Heck, Batman’s first two years in the Justice League were without the oval, and JLA is definitely Silver Age, not Golden Age!

Which is a long way of saying Batman would probably “only” have 11-12 GA volumes — still a lot, but not quite as many as 14.
    True, although DC themselves have used the "New Look" issues to start their SA Batman archives (The Dynaic Duo vol 1 & 2) in the past so it is possible they will do it again with the Omni's

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    There any printing errors in any of the Golden/Silver/Bronze Omnibi?
    There are two that I'm aware of (and if there are others, I haven't read about or noticed them):

- Golden Age Batman volume 1 has a page out of order in the first Scarecrow story
    - Golden Age Green Arrow has a banner that's missing Speedy's name on a splash page (there's the Green Arrow logo, then Speedy's smiling face, and it should say "and Speedy!" beneath his portrait, but it got left out).

Pretty minor stuff, all things considered. I can live with it. Some of the restoration of the Batman and Superman art was clearly done decades ago, and it shows. Between that and the quality of the source material, there's a lot of variance in the quality of the linework. I wouldn't call those printing errors though.

GA Batman volume 1 used the uncensored version of Detective Comics 27, and the quality of that restoration is noticeably higher than the Archives restoration.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    There are two that I'm aware of (and if there are others, I haven't read about or noticed them):

- Golden Age Batman volume 1 has a page out of order in the first Scarecrow story
    - Golden Age Green Arrow has a banner that's missing Speedy's name on a splash page (there's the Green Arrow logo, then Speedy's smiling face, and it should say "and Speedy!" beneath his portrait, but it got left out).

Pretty minor stuff, all things considered. I can live with it. Some of the restoration of the Batman and Superman art was clearly done decades ago, and it shows. Between that and the quality of the source material, there's a lot of variance in the quality of the linework. I wouldn't call those printing errors though.

GA Batman volume 1 used the uncensored version of Detective Comics 27, and the quality of that restoration is noticeably higher than the Archives restoration.
    Thank you so much Mr Anderson. If you ever hear of more, I'd love learn of them. That Scarecrow page out-of-order concerns me, but I could probably fix it easily with a superglue job. The Green Arrow error is definitely miniscule enough that I will leave it be.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-18-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

There any printing errors in any of the Golden/Silver/Bronze Omnibi?
    IIRC the first Wonder Woman Golden Age Omnibus used the wrong files for some pages; they mistakenly used the censored files from the Chronicles instead of from the Archives.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbagger77 View Post
    IIRC the first Wonder Woman Golden Age Omnibus used the wrong files for some pages; they mistakenly used the censored files from the Chronicles instead of from the Archives.
    Hmm. I wonder how significant the censors were. A bummer, but perhaps not a significant one.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Hmm. I wonder how significant the censors were. A bummer, but perhaps not a significant one.
    Apparently they don't affect the story. Full details here:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marv...om-t31654.html

Thank you Sandbagger, I tried to use google to find a likely marvelmasterworksfansite page on it, but was unsuccessful.

I actually went and fixed enough the Golden Age Batman volume 1 Scarecrow story error. I covered up one erroneous page and pasted in a page from Batman Chronicles.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^
    Would you be willing to post a pic of the fix? Does the glue not warp the page? Wondering what the fix looks like and if worth trying as well.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    ^^^
    Does the glue not warp the page?
    Nope, none of that. And I'm just using this superglue I got at Walmart. DC's paper is thick enough that no warping.

Idk if I will be able to post a pic.

I haven't finished it yet, but this is a pretty good book, all things considered. I thought the stories from the first year were the strongest, with the book settling down after that into a lot of different "crooks looking for a crime angle" that typifies Golden Age storytelling. The restoration of the art is pretty strong, and it's a long time before any trick arrows show up. It's generally just (impossibly) skilled archery from Oliver and Roy. I'm about halfway through the book, and there aren't that many recurring villains so far, surprisingly, other than Professor Million, reluctant criminal.

It occurred to me as I hit page 220 or so that if this was an Archive, it would be over. I think the omnibus is definitely a far superior way to collect the material, if for no other reason than that it makes it a lot more likely that entire runs that span decades could actually be collected. This one book covers November 1941 to mid 1947. That's a good span of stories.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    It occurred to me as I hit page 220 or so that if this was an Archive, it would be over. I think the omnibus is definitely a far superior way to collect the material, if for no other reason than that it makes it a lot more likely that entire runs that span decades could actually be collected. This one book covers November 1941 to mid 1947. That's a good span of stories.
    Someone linked to a site that had mapped the GA stories. If memory serves Green Arrow Golden Age material could be collected in three volumes!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime