View Poll Results: Is price the main/only thing preventing you from buying more current DC titles?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 30.14%
  • No

51 69.86%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is price the main/only thing preventing you from buying more current DC titles?

Very simple poll question: "Is price the main/only thing preventing you from buying more current DC titles?"
    In other words, are there other current DC titles you don't buy each month because the current cover prices are too much? If the cover prices were lower, would that automatically lead to you buying more current DC-published (includes the Vertigo and Young Animal imprints) regular titles (not back issues and not collected editions) every month?

BANNED

It's the most easily fixable problem, however it might rate on a list. Therefore they should waste no time in fixing it.

BANNED

Nope. I only read what I read because the vast majority of books are ones I consider lacking in quality and/or star characters I'm not interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Nope. I only read what I read because the vast majority of books are ones I consider lacking in quality and/or star characters I'm not interested in.
    Ditto for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    It's the most easily fixable problem, however it might rate on a list. Therefore they should waste no time in fixing it.
    But you don't know if the problem is as "fixable" as you seem to believe it is. People might want lower cover prices, but that doesn't mean they'd buy more books just because the cover prices were lowered.

BANNED

Getting the price down is easy. Writing better stories would be a bigger accomplishment but is a lot harder to do.

You can put whatever paper you want in the book. You can charge a dollar lower, or even charge 50 cents. The fact of the matter is I only like and care for a handful of characters and there are many books that I am simply not going to purchase. Lowering the cost is not going to make me invested or care all of a sudden.

Nope I buy everything I want to read. If I can't afford it in the short term I keep a list and buy it when I've got more money later
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

BANNED

The biggest problem is in the stories. But I don't think DC or Marvel would be willing to change anything about their method of storytelling, which is peculiar to comics. It's too ingrained.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-28-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Very simple poll question: "Is price the main/only thing preventing you from buying more current DC titles?"
    In other words, are there other current DC titles you don't buy each month because the current cover prices are too much? If the cover prices were lower, would that automatically lead to you buying more current DC-published (includes the Vertigo and Young Animal imprints) regular titles (not back issues and not collected editions) every month?
    A combination of things.

Dc's behavior towards certain characters (John Stewart, Young Justice kids and others)

The reality of I know my comics book stores and stores that sell comics behavior.

Books like Batman, Flash, WW and others have packed one of my stores's 25 cent sale bins (he has them 4 times a month) and it's not like say Moon Girl where I MIGHT see 1-3 issues or a given arc. I am seeing entire arcs for 25 cents per issue.

My store also has 40% sale about 4 times a year. That's how I got Supergirl Rebirth-issue 6.

Now if I want certain covers like the Supergirl covers by Artgerm Lau-I HAVE to buy them as they come out because they are going for blood MONEY everywhere.

It will be the same case with Batman and his son Duke mini-if I want those varaints-I have to buy it now.

DC books I have bought monthly-

American Way
    Black Lighting mini
    Supergirl since issue 14
    Doom Patrol starting now

Bins from the 25 cent sale at my store-
    Flash 7-15
    All Star Batman 1-9
    Shade Changling Girl 1-12
    Teen Titans 6-12
    Cyborg 1-19

I have the same issue with Marvel. Between the two of them monthly is 6.

Yet I am looking for 7.

BANNED

There are some people who are fine with the paper and the prices. That's fine. But by far the most people don't seem to be. They don't necessarily think the prices are the BIGGEST problem, but they want them lowered.

Do you want the very biggest problem solved? Then get rid of decompression, which had outlived its usefulness 20 years ago. But that would involve retraining all the writers. Changing the paper is a lot easier and faster than changing the storytelling approach.

BANNED

I'm sure there are some people who think there are no real problems at DC and Marvel. They think that the prices, the method of storytelling and pretty much everything else are OK. And that's fine. But everyone doesn't agree with that, and that's fine too.

In an industry that's in its declining phase, which print comics are, you can't can't cling to the old ways and thrive. You have to look for new ways to do things, and there will be some people who resist the changes. That's natural. It's to be expected.

I think DC's current prices are great and I think the majority of fans would agree with me. The only thing that is really stopping me from buying books currently is if the book features a character I don't like or a character that I am not interested in.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

BANNED

If it were easily fixable, then it would be fixed.

There are some people who are fine with the paper and the prices. That's fine. But by far the most people don't seem to be. They don't necessarily think the prices are the BIGGEST problem, but they want them lowered.
    I don't want lower prices, I want better paper. And with that I don't mean better than your newsprint, but better than the glossy stuff they're using now.

I'm sure there are some people who think there are no real problems at DC and Marvel. They think that the prices, the method of storytelling and pretty much everything else are OK. And that's fine. But everyone doesn't agree with that, and that's fine too.

In an industry that's in its declining phase, which print comics are, you can't can't cling to the old ways and thrive. You have to look for new ways to do things, and there will be some people who resist the changes. That's natural. It's to be expected.
    I don’t disagree that there are problems with the industry but lowering prices is not going to be the savior. Plenty of people have already stated on this thread lower prices does not mean they will purchase more books. Lower prices does not mean new readers all of a sudden will fill comic stores to purchase books either.