Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So what’s this I hear about Daken having raped somebody?

What x men comics was that storyline in?

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    What x men comics was that storyline in?
    Um... well he has pheromone suggestion powers (had anyway... I'm not sure if he lost them or people just forget he has them.) so the consensual nature of any of his relationships is a matter of debate.

I mean the guys introduction was him seducing, manipulating and murdering this one girl for #@$%'s and giggles... Daken has been pretty much a bastard for most of his life.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 12-28-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Um... well he has pheromone suggestion powers (had anyway... I'm not sure if he lost them or people just forget he has them.) so the consensual nature of any of his relationships is a matter of debate.

I mean the guys introduction was him seducing, manipulating and murdering this one girl for #@$%'s and giggles... Daken has been pretty much a bastard for most of his life.
    This is a problem with many Wolverine villains that marvel suddenly want to turn heroes. They spend so much effort making them unredeemable monsters and then completely forget about it it leads to some uncomfortable situation. Like Creed’s hero turn that forgets his joy for killing women and his eating kittens and kindergarteners for breakfast literally.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    This is a problem with many Wolverine villains that marvel suddenly want to turn heroes. They spend so much effort making them unredeemable monsters and then completely forget about it it leads to some uncomfortable situation. Like Creed’s hero turn that forgets his joy for killing women and his eating kittens and kindergarteners for breakfast literally.
    This, the X-men lost all standards along time ago. The survival narrative was used to justify an all hands on deck approach to storytelling that they accepted things they shouldn't have. I was ok with him being on a team when they had a bomb planted inside his brain. I understand why Magneto would have him on his team and weapon x makes sense because they were targeting him but being at the large group x summit. No that's a bit much.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Well Creed deviated a bit. Cleremont-his creator, didn't intend for redemption to be completely beyond him. But what he intended became irrelevant once he left. So Creed being the superior version of Wolverine, being his father, and being redeemable got thrown out.

The issue is Marvel's lack of continuity. What some writers want doesn't fall in line with what others want, and they all just ignore each other & write whatever.

Remember intended for Sabretooth's turn to be Angelus - Angel. But he hasn't gotten a redemption arc since AXIS, because the two books where he would've gotten that were axed. Greg Pak made him evil again in Weapon X, and Rosenberg writes him exactly like Pak. So him still working with "Weapon X" and being at the X-Meeting in Phoenix Resurrection made no sense. Both have gone out of their way to show him as a kill-happy psycho again. And as such, he shouldn't be with the teams. It was different when he was clearly trying to do better, and begrudgingly accepted. But since ResurrXion, he's gone back to evil again for 2/3 writers who are working with him.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 12-28-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Ultimate Member

Sabretooth is not Logan's father, he's his half-brother...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Sabretooth is not Logan's father, he's his half-brother...
    Only in the cancer that is the movies, where they merged Sabretooth & Dog Logan. In the comics, they were gonna be father & son. Cleremont left, and that idea was axed. Currently, they share no relation.

Cleremont's intent when he brought Sabretooth over to X-Men and gave him connections with Logan. His quote

Father and son. That's why Sabretooth always considered Logan "sloppy seconds" to his "original" / "real deal." The other critical element in my presentation of their relationship was that, in their whole life, Logan has never defeated Sabretooth in a knock-down, drag-out, kill-or-be-killed berserker fight. By the same token, on every one of his birthdays, Sabretooth has always managed to find him, no matter where Logan was or what he was doing, and come within an inch of killing him. For no other reason than to remind him that he could.

But again, didn't come to fruition. And Cleremont used the intended idea in X-Men Forever which was a "what could have been" deal. Or least, it started that way, until I think it got made into an alternate universe like AoA.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 12-28-2017 at 12:40 PM.

BANNED

Wouldn't surprise me if it was true. Daken started as 200% asshole if I remember correctly. Still can't bring myself to like him as a character

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Daken started as 200% asshole if I remember correctly.
    You're correct, and I loved it. He was a villain who was fascinating and awesome, but when you throw rape into things, it makes liking that character a bit more...icky.

It's one thing when a character murders, which we're all used to in nearly every form of entertainment, but it takes a certain kinda sicko to rape.

To me, it seems like you have to remind yourself that you don't endorse that behavior when you say you like that character (and I do like Daken). As a huge Sabretooth fan, I went through this when Loeb's Evolution arc threw a lampshade on what had only been intimated (if that) for years (Creed having raped in addition to murdered): I'm just glad it hasn't been addressed since.

In regards to the incident the OP is referring to, I don't know where it takes place or is referenced (maybe the current All-New Wolverine arc, which I haven't been able to read yet?), but I'm not looking forward to reading it, if true...
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Also, he killed a baby?

I hate this character more than any other Marvel character. If they ever retconned the existence of any character it should be daken. He's just depraved and disgusting ugh.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    You're correct, and I loved it. He was a villain who was fascinating and awesome, but when you throw rape into things, it makes liking that character a bit more...icky.

It's one thing when a character murders, which we're all used to in nearly every form of entertainment, but it takes a certain kinda sicko to rape.

To me, it seems like you have to remind yourself that you don't endorse that behavior when you say you like that character (and I do like Daken). As a huge Sabretooth fan, I went through this when Loeb's Evolution arc threw a lampshade on what had only been intimated (if that) for years (Creed having raped in addition to murdered): I'm just glad it hasn't been addressed since.

In regards to the incident the OP is referring to, I don't know where it takes place or is referenced (maybe the current All-New Wolverine arc, which I haven't been able to read yet?), but I'm not looking forward to reading it, if true...
    It's nowhere in ANW. Maybe in one of his older solo books.

What's interesting is currently he is a Villian in the Iceman book and a Hero in All New Wolverine. It's lol! I mean you'd think the editors would talk to each other.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Also, he killed a baby?
    I don't remember that at all, but it's been a while since I've read his early stuff. Maybe it was in his origin story with the Japanese family? That's the only place I could think of that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    It's nowhere in ANW. Maybe in one of his older solo books.
    It must be in the Wolverine: Origins stuff, then. Funny that I don't remember it: musta just blocked it out.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

What's interesting is currently he is a Villian in the Iceman book and a Hero in All New Wolverine. It's lol!
    That;s Marvel for you. They're doing it with Sabretooth. He's being written by Rosenberg, Pak, and Birsson. The former 2 are writing him as evil. The latter still has him as an anti-hero.

That's the current state of Marvel these days. All these stories going on at the same time, with different versions of the same character. Maybe the Iceman book events takes place before ANW. Or he's not an anti-hero in ANW, he just cares about Laura & tolerates everybody else for her sake.