Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I think the concept of the Legion would make a great premise for a Sci-Fi T.V. show. A large cast, exotic locations, and a library of compelling stories to draw inspiration from would almost be it's own seperate universe/timeline so that it would not interfere with the movieverse and Flash/Arrow/SuperGirlverse.

I like the idea of the Legion having multiple functions explorers,peacekeepers, and ambassadors on the behalf of the U.P. Exploring new worlds and expanding the U.P. introducing viewers to a larger part of the DCU.
    This would be most effective as an episodic TV show if it got the Game of Thrones budget and creative teams. Star Trek especially DS9 would be a great template to start with. Your premise that these characters could have a wider role in addition to their superhero roles is a good one. They like the X-Men have always been closer to science fiction than traditional superhero roles. I would prefer that their U be self contained and no Superboy.

Unlike all the Star Treks, LSH doesn't really have a main set-piece. The HQ would be used a lot, but you'd still need a ton of new sets all the time. (unless they used CG sets, but that has always looked crappy so far) Would anyone really settle for mediocre FX? If it were say, at the level of "Dr Who"...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Unlike all the Star Treks, LSH doesn't really have a main set-piece. The HQ would be used a lot, but you'd still need a ton of new sets all the time. (unless they used CG sets, but that has always looked crappy so far) Would anyone really settle for mediocre FX? If it were say, at the level of "Dr Who"...
    That would be where a new set piece premise would have to be created. I'm not saying that the show has to include every freaking member of LoSH ever created either. That would be totally unworkable. If fans expect a different walk on every week then they need to watch another show. If you keep the cast to a 6 member minimum and spend more time on story content with appropriate budget LoSH on TV would be workable. Start at the beginning of their history and build from there. The reason I could never take Dr. Who seriously was the obviously thrown together set design based on no budget to speak of that became retro popular combined with idiot level writing. I don't want to see LoSH reduced to that. We already have Legends of Tomorrow for that.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

That is the main problem then. Why do a show about the Legion is you are not going to use the Legion. If you are only going to use a few characters than just do a show about the Titans or something. The main draw of the Legion is that is has a huge cast that sets it apart from other teams, and to not use that just misses the whole point of the Legion.

Retired

Sure the Legion has a set piece. It's the HQ and the space cruiser.

A lot depends on the format and the budget. If it's GAME OF THRONES scale then it can be done in many locations, with a long shooting schedule. If the budget is less, then I'd say plot out each season (seven episodes per season) in limited locations.

Just as an example, off the top of my head:

S1: Metropolis in the 31st century and Smallville in the 21st century; a few super-heroes form the Legion on Earth; they fly back in time to the 21st century to battle the Time Trapper; a Boy of Steel comes to their aid.

S2: The Naltor trade capital and Sorceror's World in the 31st century; time has passed and a contingent of Legionnaires lands on Naltor to provide security for a trade conference; they meet Nura Nal and Mysa Nal; the trade conference is attacked by Mordru.

S3: Legion Academy and Zoon in the 31st century; at the Legion Academy a new group of recruits is being trained by Luornu Durgo, Chuck Taine and Ayla Ranzz; a Lone Wolf recruit washes out of training and returns to his home planet of Zoon; Ayla suspects there's more to his story and tracks him back to Zoon.

etc.

After seeing how bad Brainiac 5 will look on the Supergirl series, I’d say no to a Legion show right now.

Last edited by Robotman; 01-05-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    After seeing how bad Brainiac 5 will look on the Supergirl series, I’d say no to a Legion show right now.
    To be fair that's from the CW, and they're notorious for being cheap. No surprise Brainiac came out looking so bad.

If a LOSH show is to succeed, it needs to be done Game of Thrones style. Sure we end up with a shorter season but that also means a larger budget and tighter story telling (10-13 episodes vs the usual 23). I think it's doable! Now which charcters would make the line-up? That's the real question.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Sure the Legion has a set piece. It's the HQ and the space cruiser.

A lot depends on the format and the budget. If it's GAME OF THRONES scale then it can be done in many locations, with a long shooting schedule. If the budget is less, then I'd say plot out each season (seven episodes per season) in limited locations.

Just as an example, off the top of my head:

S1: Metropolis in the 31st century and Smallville in the 21st century; a few super-heroes form the Legion on Earth; they fly back in time to the 21st century to battle the Time Trapper; a Boy of Steel comes to their aid.

S2: The Naltor trade capital and Sorceror's World in the 31st century; time has passed and a contingent of Legionnaires lands on Naltor to provide security for a trade conference; they meet Nura Nal and Mysa Nal; the trade conference is attacked by Mordru.

S3: Legion Academy and Zoon in the 31st century; at the Legion Academy a new group of recruits is being trained by Luornu Durgo, Chuck Taine and Ayla Ranzz; a Lone Wolf recruit washes out of training and returns to his home planet of Zoon; Ayla suspects there's more to his story and tracks him back to Zoon.

etc.
    Excellent suggestion here and when you think about it very Star Trekian in a good way. I'd watch this even if I had to sit through Superboy. I have no idea who half the characters you mention are without their code names.

Mighty Member

You are an unrelenting fatalist. This was on a Season of Supergirl that was obviously thrown together at top speed and to pick 2 other design failures Martian Manhunter and Red Torpedo. Far worse than Brainiac. His look seemed to be lifted from the show Continuum if I have the right series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Now which charcters would make the line-up? That's the real question.
    One of my biggest problems with the animated series (I have many, despite liking it overall) is that it HAD a line-up and everyone else was relegated to getting a focus episode (if they were lucky) or, more often, just appearing for cameos. I want EVERYONE. More specifically, I want everyone who joined between 1958 and 2004 (except Superboy and Supergirl) because the Threeboot and Retroboot failed to provide any good additions to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    I have no idea who half the characters you mention are without their code names.
    I'm not sure if it's something to be proud of or if it's just sad, but I can name every Legionnaire, their real names and the planets they all come from off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    One of my biggest problems with the animated series (I have many, despite liking it overall) is that it HAD a line-up and everyone else was relegated to getting a focus episode (if they were lucky) or, more often, just appearing for cameos. I want EVERYONE. More specifically, I want everyone who joined between 1958 and 2004 (except Superboy and Supergirl) because the Threeboot and Retroboot failed to provide any good additions to the team.
    I was just trying to be realistic. I too would want a large cast of characters but I understand that it might be very difficult to pull off. Every show has to have a main character/s afterall. Maybe a Legion made up of 15-20 could work.

To add to your no Supergirl/Superboy, I also say no Mon-El, Bouncing Boy and Matter Eater Lad for obvious reasons.

BANNED

To add to your no Supergirl/Superboy, I also say no Mon-El, Bouncing Boy and Matter Eater Lad for obvious reasons.
    The reasons aren't actually obvious. If you think Chuck and Tenzil have too silly powers, fine, I'm perfectly happy with them having their support roles from the Reboot Legion as the team's mechanic and chef respectively, but I really don't know what your problem with Lar is.

To be fair that's from the CW, and they're notorious for being cheap. No surprise Brainiac came out looking so bad.
    I think the CW shows have done far better adaptions with their limited budget, so I think it is a shame they couldn't really get Brainy right.
    If a LOSH show is to succeed, it needs to be done Game of Thrones style. Sure we end up with a shorter season but that also means a larger budget and tighter story telling (10-13 episodes vs the usual 23). I think it's doable! Now which charcters would make the line-up? That's the real question.
    I don't know if you could even pull it off GoT-style since that's a low-fantasy show vs. the Legion which would be very high Sci-Fi, and probably require more effects and work then GoT does.

But a Legion series would probably be, in some ways, as ambitious as GoT.
    Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    You are an unrelenting fatalist. This was on a Season of Supergirl that was obviously thrown together at top speed and to pick 2 other design failures Martian Manhunter and Red Torpedo. Far worse than Brainiac. His look seemed to be lifted from the show Continuum if I have the right series.
    What?

I agree Red Tornado's design was pretty bad, but I've always though Martian Manhunter's design was pretty good and comic-accurate.
    I think that was a valid approach to ease people (and Superboy) into the concept of the Legion and the cast rather then just throw you into everybody, and they were slowly expanding the focus on other members as the show went on. It probably helps that I think the show also had a very strong initial line-up to begin with.

If it had been like a 15-minute Justice League Action type series, then I think they would have had more freedom to spotlight more members then they had on the original show. Or something like Justice League Unlimited where you needed the original Justice League and it's Big 7 before you could get to the very expanded roster of heroes of the sequel series.
    The reasons aren't actually obvious. If you think Chuck and Tenzil have too silly powers, fine, I'm perfectly happy with them having their support roles from the Reboot Legion as the team's mechanic and chef respectively, but I really don't know what your problem with Lar is.
    If Bouncing Boy isn't bouncing around and Matter Eater Lad isn't chomping on something then it's not a Legion series I can get behind .

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

How in the hell do they screw up the color green?!? He looks like he has the Coluan version of liver failure. Good grief.

I just can't take character's whose powers include eating everything or bouncing around seriously. Way too campy and Golden "Agey" for my taste. As for Lar, well he's a 21st century character and I'd rather have a hypothetical LOSH series focus soley on the 31st century and build up that world and it's characters/locations/politics...etc